• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I disassembled my Genelec 8351B

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I would be prepared to bet £1 of my own money that few, if any, listener would listen to the birdsong at around 0-40dB at home

Not Australian birds, Frank. Sulphur Crested Cockatoos are off the scale loud, especially 10 of them outside on the railing having a 'get-together' at 5am...

And Kookaburras can be deafening. Also magpies and Kurrawongs- those bastards are loud.

1669871671382.png

The bush curlews make a terrible sound- like a really deafening woman's scream.

I'll try to capture some and post the SPL meter numbers some time when I've got nothing better to do. :)

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've removed small childrens' fake tools from inside stuff too. Upon advising and billing the father we had a chuckle.
Used to be an avid home brewer, you’d be amazed at how many colouring pencils a 3 year old can insert into a bubbling fermenter in the 30 second window that you give them.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not Australian birds, Frank. Sulphur Crested Coackatoos are off the scale loud, especially 10 of them outside on the railing having a 'get-together' at 5am...

And Kookaburras can be deafening. Also magpies and Kurrawongs- those bastards are loud.

View attachment 246928

The bush curlews make a terrible sound- like a really deafening woman's scream.

I'll try to capture some and post the SPL meter numbers some time when I've got nothing better to do. :)
Crows are neither quiet nor mellifluous but not many people go out of their way to catch a snippet of their song either :)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Used to be an avid home brewer, you’d be amazed at how many colouring pencils a 3 year old can insert into a bubbling fermenter in the 30 second window that you give them.
I found the joys of parenthood outweighed the exasperation, but it is much better being a grandfather where there is more joy and less exasperation!

In fact one could argue that one of the best parts of being a parent is that they produce grandchildren ;)

IME anyway.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Crows are neither quiet nor mellifluous but not many people go out of their way to catch a snippet of their song either :)

Good point. The crows around here are pretty good actually, noise wise.

I'd always thought they would be aggressive but they are big softies. Even our small butcher birds, magpies and Kookaburras will scare them off.

A few months ago, we were having lunch on a little island park on a lake near us and a few large crows were being attacked (swooped constantly) by, wait for it, a pair of tiny little Willy Wagtails. I'd always considered wagtails really cute little things, but they are totally nasty!

1669881551631.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking out the big living room window and saw a magpie swoop in on a small bird, the magpie clawed and pecked it to death, then pecked and pecked until it pulled out it's liver I imagine it was and ate that and then flew off all in maybe <a minute's time.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I was looking out the big living room window and saw a magpie swoop in on a small bird, the magpie clawed and pecked it to death, then pecked and pecked until it pulled out it's liver I imagine it was and ate that and then flew off all in maybe <a minute's time.

Wow. Our magpies here are our friends. The latest young birds were introduced to us by their parents about 6 months ago and now they are losing pretty much all their grey fluffy feathers and starting to look filled-out. Every morning they put on a show to get two dog kibbles each.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow. Our magpies here are our friends. The latest young birds were introduced to us by their parents about 6 months ago and now they are losing pretty much all their grey fluffy feathers and starting to look filled-out. Every morning they put on a show to get two dog kibbles each.
Magpies eat carrion according to the synopsys. Meat eaters...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Magpies eat carrion according to the synopsys. Meat eaters...

I don't think I've ever seen magpies eat anything off the side of the road or dead. Crows eat road-kill, as do some wedge tail eagles.

Our magpies eat a lot of insects/worms out of the lawn and geckos etc.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point. The crows around here are pretty good actually, noise wise.

I'd always thought they would be aggressive but they are big softies. Even our small butcher birds, magpies and Kookaburras will scare them off.

A few months ago, we were having lunch on a little island park on a lake near us and a few large crows were being attacked (swooped constantly) by, wait for it, a pair of tiny little Willy Wagtails. I'd always considered wagtails really cute little things, but they are totally nasty!

View attachment 246958
I think most bird pairs will swoop on bigger predatory birds to chase them away from their territory, particularly if there is a nest.
I see both Green Plovers (my favourite birds) and Crows swooping on Kites even out of nesting season.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think I've ever seen magpies eat anything off the side of the road or dead. Crows eat road-kill, as do some wedge tail eagles.

Our magpies eat a lot of insects/worms out of the lawn and geckos etc.
Last time I checked the magpies survive the winter on carrion. I don't see it myself but that's what it said. I put out solidified fat from cooking a fatty roast. It was ~-30C outside and the magpie went berzerking on it... I mean like 30 magpie all rushing the bowl of fat. There was nothing left... scraped clean.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The magpie we have here are voracious predators - members of the crow familty.
If there is a pair nesting no songbird nest within a ½ mile radius would survive un-predated.

Back when he was about 12 my brother took it upon himself to try to rid the farm of magpies for this reason and pricked eggs in every nest he found and went back with a shotgun to shoot the sitting bird.

This was in the 1960s and nowadays there are far more of them and when I see them it is usually on roadkill or predating blackbird nests in our garden.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The magpie we have here are voracious predators - members of the crow familty.
If there is a pair nesting no songbird nest within a ½ mile radius would survive un-predated.

Back when he was about 12 my brother took it upon himself to try to rid the farm of magpies for this reason and pricked eggs in every nest he found and went back with a shotgun to shoot the sitting bird.

This was in the 1960s and nowadays there are far more of them and when I see them it is usually on roadkill or predating blackbird nests in our garden.
Some call them gangsters and I call them out in their, "Tuxedos."
70580991-480px.jpg

Pica_pica_-_Compans_Caffarelli_-_2012-03-16.jpg

Descartes

Major Contributor
The room is 100 cubic meters and listening distance about 2.5 meters. SPL wise I try to keep good care of my hearing and stay tad below 80db (Z-weighting).

I did comparison between 8361 and 8341 in my main system. This is very unscientific comparison. 8361 sounds "bigger" and more effortless.
In your case 8341 + sub is still within its comfort zone. I dont see any reason to upgrade.
My room is the same size but the speakers are 3.5 m away from the primary position

Tangband

Major Contributor
After seeing the inside of this speaker, can someone please educate me on WHY THE F*^@ it costs $4200?
Aluminium cabinet, specially made drivers of good quality inhouse, know how, finnish high quality , - the price reflect what customers are ready to pay . The speaker also have a digital inbuilt room correction system inside. How many speakers have that, regardless of price ? The jbl 708i or a Revel is almost empty inside …. And they are still built of cheap mdf . Ultimately, you pay for sound performance.

MrSoul4470

Why not? Not enough veneer in your opinion? ;)

kmidst

I guess to me, for that much money I would expect the speakers and amplification to look bigger. Everything inside there just has a generic look to it. Well anyway, seems like people don't argue that they sound good. I can't imagine the production cost to be super high though. Wood cabinets with veneer will definitely take more time and resources than extruded aluminum or whatever that is specifically.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
they are designed and made in a high wage country

i think you also dont consider who these speakers are designed for... they're designed for studio use

so if you're a Jay Z at Death Row and you have a state of the art studio then you use these

go to genelec's site and see who their clientele are

to me the electronics inside look clean but not fancy... i mean we're not even talking mcintosh here but this is the quasi scandinavian aesthetic is it not

if you do the sums can do do a better setup for your $8,000 if you get the speakers, amplificiation, dac and dsp seperately and end up with a better result, knowing that the GLM software is thrown in for free?

i doubt it

further the audience loves a one box solution knowing when configured its hard if not impossible to beat for the same price... also know that perhaps companies buy these for their sound production staff and the SUPPORT is there... how much is that worth?

Top Bottom