• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Compact audio set up active vs passive

AnotherOneAsking

I m looking for advice for my first set up. Within my budget and considering the small space I m looking for a compact solution but in the same time versatile, with Bluetooth and PC connection. I m planning to use my Xbox as a streamer/cd player and in the future maybe I could add a turntable. Having this in mind, I narrow down my search to Q acoustics M20 vs Q acoustics 3030i with Loxjie A 30 as an amplifier.

Both are available to me within the same budget range, around 500 Euros and both have pros and cons technically speaking. M20 has a better Bluetooth with the aptX HD vs aptX from Loxjie A30 but with 3030i +Loxjie A30 I have the possibility to upgrade at on point to a better amplifier(Yamaha A S 701 or a Cambridge Audio CX series).

Off course, sound wise, everything its very subjective, and I dont have the means to listen to any of the options and compare, that's why I m asking humbly your advice

staticV3

Master Contributor
Passive speakers are a dying breed, making external speaker Amps not very future proof imo.

That being said, I wouldn't even consider a Q Acoustic speaker as they don't have a single graph or measurement on their website.
If it performed well, I'm sure the brand would proudly put the proof of that somewhere on their marketing material.
That there's nothing makes me think the speaker performs like shit and Q Acoustics knows it.

OP
A

AnotherOneAsking

Passive speakers are a dying breed, making external speaker Amps not very future proof imo.

That being said, I wouldn't even consider a Q Acoustic speaker as they don't have a single graph or measurement on their website.
If it performed well, I'm sure the brand would proudly put the proof of that somewhere on their marketing material.
That there's nothing makes me think the speaker performs like shit and Q Acoustics knows it.
Interesting perspective, much to debate on this point a view. The future is a mix of old and new I think, and nothing is actually dying but in a perpetual transformation. Philosophy left aside, could you please help me with some examples of active speakers, solid proof benchmarked and tested. I would like to look into them, looks like this is becoming quite a quest.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Philosophy left aside, could you please help me with some examples of active speakers, solid proof benchmarked and tested.
In about the same price range:
Genelec 8010 / G One
Genelec 8020 / G Two
iLoud Micro
iLoud MTM
Neumann KH 80

not yet tested:
Eve SC203/204/205

OP
A

AnotherOneAsking

In about the same price range:
Genelec 8010 / G One
Genelec 8020 / G Two
iLoud Micro
iLoud MTM
Neumann KH 80

not yet tested:
Eve SC203/204/205
I checked them all and these are all amazing audio engineering products. The closest to my needs is the Eve sc series, having BT and digital in, but ultimately these are built as studio monitors for professional use.This is not a limitation,of course, for home use, but still they are created for another purpose, more clinical in my opinion.
Back to the subject, I m still waiting for some opinions about my dilema.

staticV3

Master Contributor
All the attributes that make a speaker great for studio use, also make it great for home use. Having clean, linear sound and lots of it is never a bad thing, even if you're just watching Better Call Saul on your couch.

ivayvr

Adam Audio 5TV is inexpensive and should cover most of your needs.
Combine it with a streamer, Bluesound comes to mind because of very flexible connectivity options and you would get a reasonably sounding system at reasonable price.
I doubt that you can get a system of that sound quality at the same price if you go the passive route .

Last edited:

steve-z

I m looking for advice for my first set up. Within my budget and considering the small space I m looking for a compact solution but in the same time versatile, with Bluetooth and PC connection. I m planning to use my Xbox as a streamer/cd player and in the future maybe I could add a turntable. Having this in mind, I narrow down my search to Q acoustics M20 vs Q acoustics 3030i with Loxjie A 30 as an amplifier.

Both are available to me within the same budget range, around 500 Euros and both have pros and cons technically speaking. M20 has a better Bluetooth with the aptX HD vs aptX from Loxjie A30 but with 3030i +Loxjie A30 I have the possibility to upgrade at on point to a better amplifier(Yamaha A S 701 or a Cambridge Audio CX series).

Off course, sound wise, everything its very subjective, and I dont have the means to listen to any of the options and compare, that's why I m asking humbly your advice
I've been using Q Acoustics M20s for over a year now, in fact I have 2 pairs one in the living room and one in the bedroom, bought the bedroom pair first and after a couple of months decided that they were so good that they could replace my much more expensive separates system in the living room. The living room pair were also treated to the matching QA 3000i stands. Due to a larger room space and better stands the living room pair exceeded the already very good sound I was getting in the bedroom.
Both setups sources are Bluesound Node 2i streamers and Mac computers housing my own digital music library. For the money I think the M20s are unbeatable and in 50 years of owning different hifi setups they rank very highly, but take the vfm factor into account, they're pretty much unbeatable.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I checked them all and these are all amazing audio engineering products. The closest to my needs is the Eve sc series, having BT and digital in, but ultimately these are built as studio monitors for professional use.This is not a limitation,of course, for home use, but still they are created for another purpose, more clinical in my opinion.
Back to the subject, I m still waiting for some opinions about my dilema.

Clinical? You mean linear sounding? Thats not a proplem you can add as many spice you want with a eq.

relmu

he M20 is simply powered, meaning it has a single 130 watt amplifier. The speaker that has the amplification is connected to the other speaker via speaker wire.
On the other hand, the Q200 is active, that is, it has an electronic crossover and an amplifier for each speaker. I don't know what the price difference will be.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
M20 is basically QA Q3020 with amplifier, QA Q3030i are not bad at all (I use my with sub's, Yamaha amplifier and port's closed), they are big and deap (32 cm) and require some place behind. Both have been measured hire (and got recommended).
Would definitely consider different amplifier like for example this:
With 48V power supply of course.
Tho BT codec suport is essential, don't have sub out or remote control but you can buy a DAC with LDAC and remote that can act as preamp. For example Topping DX3 Pro+ (for around 200€ and bonus is nice headphone amp and go with Toslink optical from Xbox to it [PCM stereo only]).
For more serious WiFi streaming consider WiiM Mini. From other pasive/active speakers recommendation check Elac DBR62's/Kali LP 6 V2's.
For 600€ I would go with Kali LP 6 V2's (400€ pair) + Tooping DX3 Pro+ (200€), eventually add WiiM Mini for another 100€.
Of course try to catch them even cheaper if possible.

Top Bottom