• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D10 DAC

Timbo2

artnoi

1. See if the noise exists when the notebook computer is ONLY using battery.
2. Do you have another USB cable you can try? The one that comes with the D10 is poor quality.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/page-54#post-114679
Thank you for your reply, I have many cables lying around, will stick with this for now because as of this second the problem is gone and I can't reproduce it now. Will try your recommendation once it comes back!

edited: now what's interesting is that I can hear my computer activity via D10 through turned OFF O2 lolol maybe it's time to get DX3Pro

gustavjung

Hi, I am new here. Thank you for everything you do for audiophile community!
Can anyone share or make measurements of D10 in RightMark Audio Analyzer, please?
I just what to compare it with other measurements.

Last edited:

Vosya

I just what to compare it with other measurements.
"RMAA plays test signal through the examined output and analyses the result recorded on the reference input. The reference input distortion level is expected to be close to zero (comparing to the examined output distortion level).", RightMark® Audio Analyzer 6.0, User’s Guide.

Do you hope that the reference card for sound recording will be the same as on the measurements with which you are going to compare?

marX

Hi guys !

I was in the market for a dac to replace my PC's Xonar DX and almost bought this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ES903...908931?hash=item3d7ad6e5c3:g:RjEAAOSwgGZb9heN
But then, I saw the review of the D10 and was very impressed. Now, I would like to know if the subjective opinion of the D10 matches the measurements.

By the way, the dac board of the posted link, uses ES9038, the upgraded version of the chip used in the topping d10. But , I would rather trust a know brand than an unknown one.

gustavjung

Do you hope that the reference card for sound recording will be the same as on the measurements with which you are going to compare?

Usually Loopback of Line-in and line-out/headphone-out of measured sound card is used or as input device - E-mu 0204/0404 or E-MU 1616M.

Vosya

used or as input device - E-mu 0204/0404 or E-MU 1616M
Do you have these sound cards cause more confidence in the role of the measuring device than the equipment, the results of which are published here? Or in the measurement specifications of the manufacturer DAC?
P.S. I would understand the need to use RMAA if D10 had no measurements at all. But it is not.

Last edited:

gustavjung

Sorry, I didn't understand your question.
A lot of DAC and Sound Cards are tested in RMAA so it is just easier to compare them.

zenon

Just changed stock OP in I/V stage (opa2134) to opa1612.
More "live" sound, more bass detail, detailed mid & hi freq. But somehow lack of clarity...
I think I will try lme49720 after some time.

Vosya

A lot of DAC and Sound Cards are tested in RMAA so it is just easier to compare them.
What specific parameter values are not contained in the DAC specification and measurements available in the current topic? What prevents to compare the available data with measurements of other sound cards produced in RMAA?

zenon

Schematic & freq. response (LPF - D10)
D10 LPF Stock 2nd.jpg

RichardK

Hi everybody,

Newbie from the Netherlands here....

Just recieved my Topping D10 yesterday i stumbled uppon it by accident, doing a search query on the net for DSD DAC's. They interest me... because i stream my music for 99%.

My setup a MacMini with Lacie Porche 4TB (Full of ((high-res)) music). Connected to my new D10 DAC. The DAC is the bridge to my Denon 2000IVR Amplifier (als connected DP47 Denon turntable) wich in turn drives my Tannoy Turnberry's.

I had a ton of audio... and have owned quite a view dac's aswell: DacMagic, HEED Dactilus, IFi Micro2 DSD, etc, etc. All in the price range to lets say 1000 euro .. But this little D10 machine amazes me allot.... It does everything, and in my opnion very well...

Last edited:

HAL9000

Just changed stock OP in I/V stage (opa2134) to opa1612.
More "live" sound, more bass detail, detailed mid & hi freq. But somehow lack of clarity...
I think I will try lme49720 after some time.

wait to burn-in;)

I think i will try Sparkos Labs discrete opamps in I/V stage.... with a good linear psu.

zenon

wait to burn-in;)

I think i will try Sparkos Labs discrete opamps in I/V stage.... with a good linear psu.

Yes, linear psu changes the game.
Other than that, analog part of ES9018K2M is powered some how not so good.
For example, Vref (I/V), AVCC_L (15), AVCC_R (16) & VCCA (17) are powered from single psu (3.3v). This is cheap enough, but is not good at all. So, I'm planing to build 3 more low noise linear psu (LP5907).
SPSU (1v) is powering XMOS. All in all a bit crazy :)
This is the price for ability to power all hardware by USB.

About OP amps...
Keep in mind that I/V stage needs fast OP amps (LME 49720 is good, but not fast enough - Gain Bandwidth 55MHz), so Sparkos are may be good for LPF, but not I/V (IMHO).
According Application Note Component Selection and PCB Layout (ESS), best OP amp for I/V is AD797 (LME49990 IMHO).

Last edited:

Vosya

LME 49720 is good, but not fast enough - Gain Bandwidth 55MHz
"How fast" - is not determined by the Gain Bandwidth only, but by the Slew Rate, which is really low. For example, LM6172 with extremely high Slew Rate (and Gain Bandwidth, by the way) is very good at I/V.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
So what's fun is that I have this and the Khadas Tone Board. For setup reasons I have the analog output running into a JDS OL Switcher, along with the digital output running through an optical/coaxial switch, and then out to the Tone Board. First time I switched between the two to compare, I thought I had wired one DAC to both inputs on the switcher since it sounded identical. Turns out they just have identical output voltage, and low and behold, if there are any differences they're incredibly, incredibly subtle.

zenon

"How fast" - is not determined by the Gain Bandwidth only, but by the Slew Rate, which is really low. For example, LM6172 with extremely high Slew Rate (and Gain Bandwidth, by the way) is very good at I/V.

Yes indeed.
But in this case desired slew rate is enough - LME 49720 (20 V/μs - slew rate=2π.f.V/1000000 (V/μs)).
What we need is low settling time (+ slew rate + gain bandwidth) & dual op amp (SOIC8 coz I'm lazy :D)

Top Bottom