• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

amper42

Major Contributor
If it gets here and sounds good I'm happy. Not sure why last payment was billed only to wait another two weeks to ship, but if buyers waiting the longest get priority in the build/shipping process that would be helpful.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps can you explain how the clipping and error indicators work? I assume to indicate clipping the light flashes when it clips and to indicate an error it flashes a certain number of times at startup based on whatever the error condition is. Is this correct?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps can you explain how the clipping and error indicators work? I assume to indicate clipping the light flashes when it clips and to indicate an error it flashes a certain number of times at startup based on whatever the error condition is. Is this correct?
When clipping, the LED will change to Orange. The duration and "blinking" would be dependent on the clipping (if it is a continuous clip, LED would stay lit orange...but it is transient events it would appear blinking).

Error is Red LED color and can be cleared (if it is not a "mortal" fault but something like high temp or power loss) by turning off and on again

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

While flashing the LED for errors might be helpful, considering the information available, the Purifi (or Hypex) amp really do not provide states that would be useful to most consumers. If you look at the data sheet, the software mode information is much more geared towards helping a tech fix a bad module. It would be better if they did supply some more user-oriented codes (like your speaker wires are shorted, etc.), but not there as yet.

Someday, pretty sure we'll get more, but will need a display or a small speaker to announce the error to us (or perhaps text it to our phone). :cool:

hoppy IPA

I recently received my 252 and it was much sooner than the quoted ETA. Very happy with the amp!

Looking forward to ordering a 502 build soon or possibly a new NCOREx if Dylan offers them.

amper42

Major Contributor
Buckeye Purifi arrived. I tested it with a pair of Sierra Towers by removing a Buckeye NC502MP amp that was there before and inserted the Purifi. To be honest, the difference in sound is minor. I imagine the Purifi is slightly crisper but I don't have any proof and I would be totally happy using either amp. Which brings me to an interesting point. Why buy a Purifi if you already have the NC502MP? For most people there really is no audible reason but other features may be of interest?

1. NC502MP is narrow. It's only 7.25" wide while Purifi is 10.1". That doesn't seem like a lot but the slimmer build is nice.
2. The Purifi uses 14.5W and NC502MP 23W while idle and while playing music at 75dB. (Kill-a-Watt test)
3. The Purifi stays amazingly cool after an hour running while the NC502MP is definitely warm to the touch.
4. Purifi has auto off/on option. I measured a 5 second delay to turn on and 10 min. 50 sec to turn off after no source.
5. Purifi sends a quiet snap to speakers when turning off with Auto On/Off.
6. NC502MP weighs 5.5 pounds while Purifi is 6 pounds 2.2 ounces.
7. Not sure I like the toggle switches for Purifi gain option. They stick out of back which could lead to accidental changes? Not an issue for most. My guess is they don't change settings without a power down?

Bottom line, with Purifi you give up the narrow NC502MP foot print for better energy efficiency and heat management. Audible difference will be subjective and difficult to conclude.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buckeye Purifi arrived. I tested it with a pair of Sierra Towers by removing a Buckeye NC502MP amp that was there before and inserted the Purifi. To be honest, the difference in sound is minor. I imagine the Purifi is slightly crisper but I don't have any proof and I would be totally happy using either amp. Which brings me to an interesting point. Why buy a Purifi if you already have the NC502MP? For most people there really is no audible reason but other features may be of interest?

1. NC502MP is narrow. It's only 7.25" wide while Purifi is 10.1". That doesn't seem like a lot but the slimmer build is nice.
2. The Purifi uses 14.5W and NC502MP 23W while idle and while playing music at 75dB. (Kill-a-Watt test)
3. The Purifi stays amazingly cool after an hour running while the NC502MP is definitely warm to the touch.
4. Purifi has auto off/on option. I measured a 5 second delay to turn on and 10 min. 50 sec to turn off after no source.
7. Not sure I like the toggle switches for Purifi gain option. They stick out of back which could lead to accidental changes? Not an issue for most. My guess is they don't change settings without a power down?

Bottom line, with Purifi you give up the narrow NC502MP foot print for better energy efficiency and heat management. Audible difference will be subjective and difficult to conclude.

Also add the much lower acquisition price of the NC502MP and your price per watt yields a much better value too. :cool:

The NCoreX 500 is more comparable to the Purifi 1ET400A and should be less expensive as well.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes-that's the most convenient feature of the new Buckeye Purifi w/ input board. When I turn on the music it powers up in about 2-3 seconds and goes off when I turn the preamp off in about a minute or so.

ivo.f.doma

Our brand new mono, 2ch, and 3ch Purifi amplifiers are now available!

Purifi 1ET400A specs:
- 425w @ 4ohm
- 225w @ 2ohm

Purifi 1ET7040SA specs:
- 750w @ 2ohm
- 400w @ 4ohm
- 200w @ 8ohm

Custom Input Buffer Board w/:
- Neutrik XLR connectors
- OPA1612 Input Stage
- TI TPS7A49/30 Voltage Regulators
- Clipping Indication
- Error Indication
- Soft-start
- Low, Med, High Gain settings
- Auto On/Off (along with Always On and 12v options)

Gain settings:
4ohm - 25.5dB/2.17Vrms (High), 20.5dB/3.89Vrms (Medium), 15.5dB/6.93Vrms (Low)
8ohm - 25.5dB/2.24Vrms (High), 20.5dB/4.02Vrms (Medium), 15.5dB/7.16Vrms (Low)

Mono Amplifier:
(1) Purifi 1ET400A OR 1ET7040SA module
(1) Hypex SMPS1200A400
7"x11"x3" Aluminum chassis
Neutrik XLR inputs
Standard 5-way Binding Post outputs
$779 (1ET400A)
$949 (1ET7040SA)

2ch Amplifier:

(2) Purifi 1ET400A modules
(1) Hypex SMPS1200A400
10"x12"x3.5" Aluminum chassis
Neutrik XLR inputs
$1189

3ch Amplifier:

(3) Purifi 1ET400A modules
(1) Hypex SMPS1200A400
12"x12"x3.5" Aluminum chassis
Neutrik XLR inputs
$1699

*speakON upgrade available for $50
*Rackmount case upgrade available for $150
*Free US Shipping
*International shipping available

Finally, the official Buckeye Amps Website!
Purifi 1ET400A specs: There is probably an error with the 2ohm output...

vtor

Earlier this week I received my 3 channel Purifi Buckeye amp. I’ve got to say, the improvement is much more than I was expecting. I am using it to power my LCR LS50 Meta speakers with the Buckeye amp taking over amp duties from an Onkyo TX-RZ50 (which I realize isn’t the best amp to begin with). I was already impressed with the Metas when using the AVR to power them, but upgrading to this amp really showed me how much the speakers can benefit from a lot of clean power. I get more fullness and clarity that I didn’t know was possible from just swapping out amplifiers.

I also have to give props to @Buckeye Amps for great support. I had a grounding issue upon installing my amp (constant 60hz buzz out of all speakers, including ones not powered via the Buckeye), and he was nice enough to help me figure out the best way to ground my AVR to the Buckeye amp. Problem solved now, and I can go on enjoying this wonderful amplifier :)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Earlier this week I received my 3 channel Purifi Buckeye amp. I’ve got to say, the improvement is much more than I was expecting. I am using it to power my LCR LS50 Meta speakers with the Buckeye amp taking over amp duties from an Onkyo TX-RZ50 (which I realize isn’t the best amp to begin with). I was already impressed with the Metas when using the AVR to power them, but upgrading to this amp really showed me how much the speakers can benefit from a lot of clean power. I get more fullness and clarity that I didn’t know was possible from just swapping out amplifiers.

I also have to give props to @Buckeye Amps for great support. I had a grounding issue upon installing my amp (constant 60hz buzz out of all speakers, including ones not powered via the Buckeye), and he was nice enough to help me figure out the best way to ground my AVR to the Buckeye amp. Problem solved now, and I can go on enjoying this wonderful amplifier :)
We have a similar set-up. RZ50>Buckeye 3 ch Purifi>F208's. It is a discernible difference between the RZ50 amps vs the Buckeye Purifi especially at high volumes w/ HT. Can't recommend this combo highly enough.

amper42

Major Contributor
We have a similar set-up. RZ50>Buckeye 3 ch Purifi>F208's. It is a discernible difference between the RZ50 amps vs the Buckeye Purifi especially at high volumes w/ HT. Can't recommend this combo highly enough.

My guess is the RZ50 would sound just as good with the four channel NC502MP for $600 less but the amp would run warmer. Not that we got into this hobby to save money. :D

Martini

Forum Donor
Hopefully my 2-channel will be showing up within the next couple weeks. Ordered a Topping E70 to drive it, which showed up a couple days ago. I like that it has a 12v trigger to fire up the amp. No sure which gain setting I should use on either unit though. The E70 can be set to 4 or 5v out. Have a set of speaker cables and XLRs to build this weekend... or next depending on how busy things get :rolleyes:

Beast76

I’m pretty sure new NC502s have auto on/off, now.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listening to the 3 channel Buckeye Purifi and...well, my ears are truly ringing now but tonight managed to get the red clipping light to flash (intermittently) listening to some vintage Bowie-"Station to Station". I was surprised that the light illuminated, even briefly, as the F208's seemed to be handling the power well. Now I wonder if I need even more power... I have a rather small room and the listening position is too close so if/when I move and have a deeper room I may have to consider something more powerful. Wish I had a calibrated dB meter. Can one use the UMIK-1 and REW to measure sound pressure? The cheesy phone app read 89 dB but it seemed a bit louder than that.

Top Bottom