• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni Heretic Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 18.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 216 80.9%

• Total voters

DonR

Major Contributor
I actually tried ~that.

Both the tubeamp and the 120 SINAD amp have pre functionality. So I tried both ways
  1. 120amp_as_pre->tubeamp
  2. tubeamp_as_pre->120amp.
Same DAC, same HPs, same everything else.

For some reason I preferred the sound of the first combo. It's also more comfortable and the volume-knob of the 120amp is probably better (more linear etc..). Did not do any measurements or serious tests, I just liked it so.
That is completely understandable as most low-level tube equipment like a pre-amp is designed to be relatively distortion-free and you don't get those intentional harmonics associated with pushing a tube amp hard. A tube buffer, if designed correctly, adds those harmonics to the low-level signal.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is completely understandable as most low-level tube equipment like a pre-amp is designed to be relatively distortion-free and you don't get those intentional harmonics associated with pushing a tube amp hard. A tube buffer, if designed correctly, adds those harmonics to the low-level signal.
I guess there could be lots of aspects to that experiment.
Low impedance planar HPs do not like tubeamps and will probably work much better with chain2.
The gain structure could play a big role (as you mentioned).
The user preferences too, some people might enjoy "pushing a tube amp hard".
Comfort cannot be neglected, e.g. would've been great if one of my amps had a remote.

One could write a big article with nice measurements about such an experiment. I would read it :)

DonR

Major Contributor
I guess there could be lots of aspects to that experiment.
Low impedance planar HPs do not like tubeamps and will probably work much better with chain2.
The gain structure could play a big role (as you mentioned).
The user preferences too, some people might enjoy "pushing a tube amp hard".
Comfort cannot be neglected, e.g. would've been great if one of my amps had a remote.

One could write a big article with nice measurements about such an experiment. I would read it :)
I personally wouldn't have a permanent setup with a tube in line with the signal as there are times when I find the added harmonic distortion a distraction.

Scrufboy

Which dac could be paired with him?
I have Magni+ Heretic paired with the S.M.S.L DO100, which Amir also gave us a recommendation. The DAC being super low noise... I find it to be an excellent combo. Had it in house for a few days now.. Hooked up last night. Previously running a brand new Heresy. (will be sold)

Last edited:

Scrufboy

They used to offer this power supply:
View attachment 246276

Don't know why it disappeared or whether it would have worked here (AC vs. DC, involved voltages, etc.).

These are super helpful if you can hide them somewhere:
View attachment 246278View attachment 246279

Or go full hardcore with the Tripp-Lite PS1916D1U:
View attachment 246280

Regarding the weight issue, these door stops are very helpful (you can remove the rubber ring and improve the aesthetics somewhat):

View attachment 246283

More decorative, but less heavy and slip resistant are these marble coasters:
View attachment 246300
I use rhino's, whales, and solid copper spheres for weight.

Attachments

• 20221129_134535.jpg
    20221129_134535.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 128

Scrufboy

I've had service from Schiit on a headphone amp I had. I submitted my support request to Schiit and had an RMA the same day. I shipped it out for $14 and they recieved it 2 days later. Repair was complete 4 business days after they received it and they shipped it out same day via FedEx and didn't charge me for return shipping. It was friction free, quite quick, and for only $14 I would not recommend throwing it out instead.
I had an RMA on my new Heresy last month. I was surprised to have actually paid nothing to ship it back. I asked for a return shipping label and they obliged.

Alcophone

Does it add weight or brightness to the sound? I'm confused.
It absorbs the bad noise and distortion and radiates it upwards while refining the good kind.

Just kidding, I happened to have one because I like how they look and it's a fairly dense material, so it makes for a good weight.

H

Hifihedgehog

For a $109 device, I would only worry about infant mortality. Get it from a place that allows free returns for the 30 days and after that, you are good to go. If it dies, you get another one. Keep in mind that Schiit charges you shipping both ways (when you buy and when you ship back for warranty). Unless you have a commercial shipping account, it is likely easier to just buy a new one that to mess with getting repairs, etc.
It honestly depends on the person. If you are a budget-strapped audiophile (such as the classic Ramen-devouring broke college kid) which this product also seemingly targets, paying $10-$15 with PirateShip and waiting for a repair is still far less than paying $100+ again for a brand-new amp. Is there a time cost and is it less convenient? Yes, but for someone living on a fixed income, that is a valid concern at this price point.

escalibur

It's wonderfully simple and nicely laid out for the eye candy it is.
Exactly my thoughts. :) It's a great piece of work indeed.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
S.jpg

Dana reed

If only it had XLR inputs!
needs to be a little bigger to fit them, and voila!

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
As you see, there is not much to the functionality other than volume control and three stage gain settings which I appreciated.

Operationally my only wish was a better detent for medium gain. You can easily go from low to high gain which can have a large impact in levels you hear.
Can anyone clarify whether the gain switch affects the preamp out as well as the headphone out? Thanks. (I checked the manual but did not find this information.)

Also, it appears that the Magni+ (discrete version) has half the input impedance (25k ohms) of the Heretic version. Would this have any real-world effect on compatibility with other typical consumer gear? Thanks for your thoughts.

Top Bottom