• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Celebrity RIP Thread

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Very sad to hear of Irene Cara's passing. And at only 63.

Irene Cara's 1983 album, What a Feelin' was the 4th Compact Disc I bought as a late teenager. I remember riding my bike down to Kmart at Pacific Fair and paying $17.88 for it. In the early days of CD, they'd offer about 6% off the list price. And, their CDs were protected in locked acrylic cases as I hated scratches on the jewel cases.

Not only do I still have that original disc in my collection, it is in absolutely mint condition (but you expected that, right?).

A very early CBS Sony Records release (CSR around the centre hub IIRC) , smooth edge case and of course, Made in Japan. I'll have to dig it out for a play tonight.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And here is my actual compact disc (notice pre bar-coding):

scan695.jpg

scan696.jpg

scan697.jpg

Vale, Irene Cara.

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Another reason to feel old...
Indeed... yet a reason to celebrate life too.
Very sad to hear of Irene Cara's passing.
Yeah, I was a bit cut when I heard that news... so I played some of her songs on YT today and felt better. I think it just reminded me of... different times. I have the same album, but on vinyl, which is away in storage at the moment.

JSmith

DSJR

Major Contributor
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She, Stevie and Lindsey between them, wove such magic spells in the songs on their classic albums, each bringing a different facet to the wonderful whole. Too close to home this, so apologies for the emoting...

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Aww... that's a shame, RIP. :(

a3a08a367f1343c88b6d5e308e0bab9c_md.png

b76101ab69964a5da0cf02d7b32eef2c_md.png

JSmith

Top Bottom