• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

Hypexsales

Audio Company
thanks a lot @Hypexsales for your very helpful answers

from your website:

DIY PreAmplifier kit:
Dimensions: 417mm*72mm*340mm
Weight: 5kg

Nilai500DIY 250W stereo kit:
Dimensions: 420mm*300mm*80mm
Weight: 560g

Is it correct that the preamp weighs almost 10 times as much as the stereo power amp ?
sorry about that. that was a Typo. Is now corrected.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Dirk_67

@Hypexsales
another question: will there be a "Nilai500DIY 500W stereo kit" in the future,
containing 2x "PS500DIY power supply" and 2x "Nilai500DIY amplifier module" in a double mono configuration within a common enclosure ?

Hypexsales

Audio Company
@Hypexsales
another question: will there be a "Nilai500DIY 500W stereo kit" in the future,
containing 2x "PS500DIY power supply" and 2x "Nilai500DIY amplifier module" in a double mono configuration within a common enclosure ?
if you need dual mono you can order the mono kits. We will not offer a dual mono kit.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Any estimate if (and when) these new modules will be offered as OEM to commercial manufacturers?

Mavtop

Just ordered the Nilai 500 in stereo form from Deer Creek Audio in Colorado. They said expecting to ship by end of November. I will report back how it goes when it comes in.

goryu

Just ordered the Nilai 500 in stereo form from Deer Creek Audio in Colorado. They said expecting to ship by end of November. I will report back how it goes when it comes in.

Seems like for those in the US it is $50 cheaper to order from this US supplier rather than from Hypex directly. Wonder how that can be?

Mavtop

Seems like for those in the US it is $50 cheaper to order from this US supplier rather than from Hypex directly. Wonder how that can be?
I think Deer Creek Audio is a big purchaser from Hypex. At least I got that impression looking at their website. They have all kinds of Hypex stuff and people generally review them positively.

Just a theory.

goryu

I think Deer Creek Audio is a big purchaser from Hypex. At least I got that impression looking at their website. They have all kinds of Hypex stuff and people generally review them positively.

Just a theory.

I understand that but I thought these modules were for the diy community only. Seems odd that they should get them cheaper.

LugsyTL47

There is nothing publicly available. People (like me) meeting the Purifi team at the Munich high end were told that the noise would be 8uV. The Nilai is at 10uV. These are all ridiculously low values.
Looking to upgrade my very modest integrated amp with Class D, which I’ve never owned. This thread has been very informative, sometimes entertaining re: price vs performance/specs. Leaving my house a few days ago, I was behind a Ferrari at a red light. Ferrari broke down, I had to go around in my Subaru Outback. My analogy being pretty sure Ferrari has better specs on paper vs my Subaru but at a certain point Ferrari requires a dedicated race track and a professional driver to experience what that car can do.

bo_knows

Looking to upgrade my very modest integrated amp with Class D, which I’ve never owned. This thread has been very informative, sometimes entertaining re: price vs performance/specs. Leaving my house a few days ago, I was behind a Ferrari at a red light. Ferrari broke down, I had to go around in my Subaru Outback. My analogy being pretty sure Ferrari has better specs on paper vs my Subaru but at a certain point Ferrari requires a dedicated race track and a professional driver to experience what that car can do.
Right, like an acoustically treated room, with a very very low noise floor, a great set of speakers, and of course, healthy hearing.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not clear you have the right thread for this analogy. Might work if you had a DIY Subaru. ;)

Even then, as good as the performance may be, the state of Class D amps (like the Hypex in this thread) is not at all like a high-performance car in my opinion. In seeking performance, those cars are often sacrificing long term reliability to achieve beyond the usual level of performance. That is not the case with a Nilai or any other comparable Class D amplifier. For that matter, you are not paying the same degree of premium either.

While not as common in consumer audio as yet, Class D has been used in professional amps for decades. Hypex has had UCD (Universal Class D) amplifiers for almost 2 decades. If you are working with a modest budget, can find less expensive amps with UCD. NCore-based is the next level and you can get it from some mainstream brands or smaller companies (like Buckeye or Audiophonics and others).

Dirk_67

I just realized that the beloved Hypex NC400
has been moved to the "Product archive" (=obsolete Products)
but the successor Nilai500DIY is not (yet) available as a module ...

tktran303

Forum Donor
Unless it’s a drop in replacement for the NC400 (10 years) I’m out.

I’m tired of things becoming obsolete and needing a complete redesign. Eg. UCD400MP 8 years, no direct replacement;

Time to go to LM3886…

GPx86

Anyone get their Nilai amps running yet? I’m not surprised they’re sold out for now. Disappointed I did not order on launch day.

Dirk_67

Anyone get their Nilai amps running yet? I’m not surprised they’re sold out for now. Disappointed I did not order on launch day.
I'm not sure if they've even sent any out yet
the approximate delivery date in their shop has been postponed to 31 Mar 2023

Hypexsales

Audio Company
As we are indeed sold out for the first batch, the new delivery date for new orders is estimated on end of March 2023. that is of course not the case for the first batch. We did however have not send any kits out just yet. A few delays with the last components for the kits. Will not take long anymore. We will update our customers who placed an order with the new delivery date this week.

Top Bottom