• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Synergy doesn’t exist, technical compatibility that exists.
Keith

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you blindly trust the measurement results made by others?
The measurements are made in accordance to standards that are referenced to a world standard. All calibrated electronic measurement gear is referenced to the world standard. That means no matter who measures when using calibrated gear the results will be pretty much the same for the same piece of gear anywhere in the world. So as long as the measurements are done by a person capable of measuring the gear who the person is doing it doesn't matter. Your finger pointing at @amirm is rubbish talk. Pure gobbledygook.
There are clearly audible differences between the devices
Between what devices?
the one that measures best does not always sound the best.
How do you know this or are you just making this up on the fly?
Have you heard the word synergy?
Would you care to explain what this means to you? It means little to nothing regarding HiFi equipment.
Did Amir listen to it for you or why are you saying thank you?
Why are you here if this is all so wrong. This is a objective website not a subjective fantasyland of assumptions and half truths.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21726

The measurements are made in accordance to standards that are referenced to a world standard. All calibrated electronic measurement gear is referenced to the world standard. That means no matter who measures when using calibrated gear the results will be pretty much the same for the same piece of gear anywhere in the world. So as long as the measurements are done by a person capable of measuring the gear who the person is doing it doesn't matter. Your finger pointing at @amirm is rubbish talk. Pure gobbledygook.

Between what devices?

How do you know this or are you just making this up on the fly?

Would you care to explain what this means to you? It means little to nothing regarding HiFi equipment.

Why are you here if this is all so wrong. This is a objective website not a subjective fantasyland of assumptions and half truths.
Be happy in your faith. That's the easiest way.;)
Enough said, goodspeed.

giphy.gif

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Do you blindly trust the measurement results made by others?

So, do you believe the measurements are not trustworthy, or do you just not understand them?

Have you heard the word synergy?

I have. It seems to be commonly used in this industry to imply there is something beyond basic understanding needed to select one component to connect to another. Fortunately, there is nothing mysterious. What is lacking is honesty on the marketing side, and a little bit of learning on the consumer side.

Did Amir listen to it for you or why are you saying thank you?:facepalm:

Because he is appreciative of the effort our host makes to wade through all the nonsense to give us real information and data to work with in making decisions. It's certainly more helpful than stories of removed veils and synergy.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah yes... look at all the faithful people amongst the 8 Billion of us... happy... clappy indeed while keeping the bonfire of scientific method ablaze. :facepalm:
. . . . not engaging in disputes or wars, just getting along fine to their fellow man.
Lovely . . . .

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
. . . . not engaging in disputes or wars, just getting along fine to their fellow man.
Lovely . . . .
Yes, Afghanistan, Papal States, Crusades, Nazis, The Inquisition... getting along fine with their fellow man... Lovely. Audio Heretics Review where the only "Promised Land" is the sweet spot of the listening room.

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
Saw these, not sure how good a deal they are.

Sennheiser HD650
Wrong thread but these are a better deal, IMO.

compared https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...iser-hd-6xx/245/18987?usage=19&threshold=0.10

fabien32

they cannot be backed up by scientific fact
No offense, but not everything can be explain scientifically (god ,love Bobby Fischer and so on). I really love this forum, and I have learned quite a lot here, but when it comes to tube,R2R and i2s I have notice that the measurement are not telling the all story. I don't know if one day we will able to explain why, but on many devices that where measured to be lesser than other I heard differently, and so many others. in a blind test I can tell the difference. and in many cases it sounded spectacular. so instead of fighting and being cynical. maybe we could try to join forces to understand why so many people can here something that measurements don't.

P.S - I was diagnosed to have an absolute pitch when i was 9, so wouldn't you say that the hearing test is somewhat scientific, no?

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
No offense, but not everything can be explain scientifically (god ,love Bobby Fischer and so on). I really love this forum, and I have learned quite a lot here, but when it comes to tube,R2R and i2s I have notice that the measurement are not telling the all story. I don't know if one day we will able to explain why, but on many devices that where measured to be lesser than other I heard differently, and so many others. in a blind test I can tell the difference. and in many cases it sounded spectacular. so instead of fighting and being cynical. maybe we could try to join forces to understand why so many people can here something that measurements don't.
Your post is a prime example of why we are having this discussion as we speak. Couldn’t have been more spot on.

Fancy joining?

JSmith

Master Contributor
I don't know if one day we will able to explain why
Oh we can explain why... it's the human brain, nothing to do with the devices and connection type, generally speaking. My suggestion would be to look closely at perception bias, expectation bias etc. There is a wealth of information here at ASR in fact, this is a start;

JSmith

Veri

Master Contributor
No offense, but not everything can be explain scientifically (god ,love Bobby Fischer and so on). I really love this forum, and I have learned quite a lot here, but when it comes to tube,R2R and i2s I have notice that the measurement are not telling the all story.
Using i2s input/output for no real 'reason' (like hdmi de-embedding or so) is absolutely useless, I'm really sorry but it is. There's no benefit. There's no gain.

fabien32

Oh we can explain why... it's the human brain, nothing to do with the devices and connection type, generally speaking. My suggestion would be to look closely at perception bias, expectation bias etc. There is a wealth of information here at ASR in fact, this is a start;

JSmith
to dismiss so easily and think we know everything is not scientific anymore, since 1905 science as become more uncertain (See Eisenberg's Uncertainty Law, quantum theories superstring theories etc.) and to assume "is perception bias, expectation bias etc, and that we don't look closely " is not very scientific either

Top Bottom