• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
Just received my test WiiM Pro and was going to post some pics of the unit and its setup, but the YouTube video review (and his previous Mini review) below does a better job than I could. Setup couldn’t have been easier on my iPad , and moments later I was using Chromecast from Deezer (free) and files on my NAS via BubbleUPNP on my android phone direct to the Pro, at 24/192 in the latter case.

If you’re looking for a streamer and especially if you already have a good DAC, I think you’d be crazy not to consider the WiiM Pro and even its cheaper sibling the Mini.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neat . It has S/PDIF output. Use an adapter and go directly into Genelec SAM monitors.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
For those of you unaware of the WiiM Pro or who haven’t been following the WiiM Mini Streamer thread, here’s the spec for the WiiM forum:

Tech Specs
Software
  • Chromecast Audio
  • AirPlay 2
  • DLNA
  • (Roon expected in Q4)
  • MICless Amazon Alexa Voice Service
    (AVS) MRM (Multi-Room)
  • BT A2DP Source and Sink
  • Linkplay streaming services and multiroom
  • Spotify Connect/TIDAL Connect/Amazon Music cast
  • HD Output 24-bit/192kHz
  • Bit perfect output
  • True gapless playback
  • 10-band EQ or 24 Preset EQs
  • TI Audiophile DAC
  • Frequent FW/App updates
  • Mobile and PC App
Button and LED
  • Capacitive touch control: Play/Pause, Volume +, Volume -, 1 x Presets
  • LED: BT/WiFi/Line-in modes
Hardware
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 2.4G/5G, BT5.1, Ethernet (100M)
  • Line In RCA
  • Optical In
  • Line out RCA
  • Digital Coaxial Out
  • Optical SPDIF Out
  • USB Type-C power
  • 12v Trigger for AMP
  • Mic for Multiroom audio auto-sync
  • SBC and AAC codec
Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJDY6D1W

Plus here’s a screenshot of supported music services

Tech Specs
Software
  • Chromecast Audio
  • AirPlay 2
  • DLNA
  • (Roon expected in Q4)
  • MICless Amazon Alexa Voice Service
    (AVS) MRM (Multi-Room)
  • BT A2DP Source and Sink
  • Linkplay streaming services and multiroom
  • Spotify Connect/TIDAL Connect/Amazon Music cast
  • HD Output 24-bit/192kHz
  • Bit perfect output
  • True gapless playback
  • 10-band EQ or 24 Preset EQs
  • TI Audiophile DAC
  • Frequent FW/App updates
  • Mobile and PC App
Button and LED
  • Capacitive touch control: Play/Pause, Volume +, Volume -, 1 x Presets
  • LED: BT/WiFi/Line-in modes
Hardware
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 2.4G/5G, BT5.1, Ethernet (100M)
  • Line In RCA
  • Optical In
  • Line out RCA
  • Digital Coaxial Out
  • Optical SPDIF Out
  • USB Type-C power
  • 12v Trigger for AMP
  • Mic for Multiroom audio auto-sync
  • SBC and AAC codec
Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJDY6D1W

Attachments

• 4657FE8C-E7A0-46CA-97D4-91A1769E8D63.png
    4657FE8C-E7A0-46CA-97D4-91A1769E8D63.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 832

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just received my test WiiM Pro and was going to post some pics of the unit and its setup, but the YouTube video review (and his previous Mini review) below does a better job than I could. Setup couldn’t have been easier on my iPad , and moments later I was using Chromecast from Deezer (free) and files on my NAS via BubbleUPNP on my android phone direct to the Pro, at 24/192 in the latter case.

If you’re looking for a streamer and especially if you already have a good DAC, I think you’d be crazy not to consider the WiiM Pro and even its cheaper sibling the Mini.
So chromecast does 192khz? I thought it max out at 96khz.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
So chromecast does 192khz? I thought it max out at 96khz.
Tbh, I’ll need to double check that. When I used BubbleUPNP to play a 24/192 track from my NAS with the Pro selected as a chromecast device, I believe it did show as 24/192. However, trying that from Qobuz on my Android phone, a 24/192 track dropped to 24/96 when casting - whether that’s something that Qobuz, my phone or the Pro is doing I don’t know yet as it was a very quick test before I headed out earlier. I’ll be more diligent in testing over the next few days - but at least casting from Qobuz, in the absence of a Qobuz connect mechanism, is working :)

Jon wise

Anyone know the spec on the eq? graphic or parametric? and what version of android is needed to use it ( able to install app)?

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Anyone know the spec on the eq? graphic or parametric? and what version of android is needed to use it ( able to install app)?
Currently a graphic equaliser with parametric to come. Check the Google Play Store for the WiiM Home app android version requirements.

Jon wise

Currently a graphic equaliser with parametric to come. Check the Google Play Store for the WiiM Home app android version requirements.
Thanks, it will work on android 7 and above so compatible with my phone, great.

jmtocali

Can any of you test the Chromecast function with roon and which is the max bit depth/freq that it shows?

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
no matter what you throw, everything stays at 44.1 kHz/16-bit

That’s an airplay restriction, not the WiiM Afaik. Are you using a WiiM Pro too?

D1N0

Tbh, I’ll need to double check that. When I used BubbleUPNP to play a 24/192 track from my NAS with the Pro selected as a chromecast device, I believe it did show as 24/192. However, trying that from Qobuz on my Android phone, a 24/192 track dropped to 24/96 when casting - whether that’s something that Qobuz, my phone or the Pro is doing I don’t know yet as it was a very quick test before I headed out earlier. I’ll be more diligent in testing over the next few days - but at least casting from Qobuz, in the absence of a Qobuz connect mechanism, is working :)
It is a limitation of the Chromecast protocol. It maxes out at 24/96. Maybe you can use DLNA from Qobuz. It should pop up in the list of available devices.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
It is a limitation of the Chromecast protocol. It maxes out at 24/96. Maybe you can use DLNA from Qobuz. It should pop up in the list of available devices.
According to WiiM: “Regarding the gapless playback with Chromecast, it is determined by the source app. If the app support gapless, Chromecast will also support it. Regrading the 192kHz, we have tested it and Chromecast can support 192Hz playback.”

Today I tried BubbleUPNP again, choosing the Chromecast instance of the WiiM Pro and can confirm 24/192 support.
Qobuz doesn’t seem to play ball with that though, so perhaps there’s a mismatch between what Qobuz asks the WiiM re supported resolution and what’s reported.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Here are a few screenshots of a local 24/192 flac file being played on my Motorola Edge 30 Fusion phone using the Hi-FI cast app, plus screenshots from the WiiM app showing it‘s playing over Chromecast (sadly no resolution info there yet) and my Linn MDSM/4 amp app showing it’s receiving a 24/192 file over coax from the Wiim Pro.

Attachments

• 8FAE9A38-C818-4F58-8257-C0BA3BFDDF0D.png
    8FAE9A38-C818-4F58-8257-C0BA3BFDDF0D.png
    877.5 KB · Views: 538
  • 934822E4-CD15-471A-87D6-279F36297A63.png
    934822E4-CD15-471A-87D6-279F36297A63.png
    579.5 KB · Views: 544
  • 3200E732-5E93-4581-84EB-86E6D41F5027.png
    3200E732-5E93-4581-84EB-86E6D41F5027.png
    83 KB · Views: 552

D1N0

Hificast may have hacked the chromecast protocol. When I just tried it, it wanted to know which version I had. The first or the second.

OP
B

Brantome

Major Contributor
Hificast may have hacked the chromecast protocol. When I just tried it, it wanted to know which version I had. The first or the second.
Whatever. But the fact remains that the WiiM Pro supports Chromecast up to 24/192 as confirmed by WiiM and my use of the BubbleUPNP and Hi-Fi Cast Apps.

Top Bottom