• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni Heretic Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 18.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 216 80.9%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Didn't Amir say not to compare those graphs as the new one is using a different method.
Step size decreased, so you shouldn't compare the exact clipping points from before to the new ones, because the old ones were likely to over-/undershoot the exact point of clipping.

Apart from the that however, each point on the graph should still be measured just like before, making observations like "Heretic is better than IEMagnI at driving high loads" valid.

It's not like the distortion "cap" resulting in that shelving came from the APx555:
Schiit IEMagni Power vs Distortion vs Load Impedance Measurements.png

poxymoron

Many thanks, @amirm.

These THD+N VS Power graphs are completely insane for such a little and cheap headamp.o_O

A serious western alternative to the (pricier) Topping L30 II !
Unfortunately that's not the case in Europe:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Didn't Amir say not to compare those graphs as the new one is using a different method.
For his argument it is ok to compare. High level picture is the same with both protocols.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Unfortunately that's not the case in Europe:
Of course, Schiit's costs are much higher for obvious reasons. There is no margin left for third party vendors or to absorb oversee shipping (which is also much much less in Asia). Their price structure must be extremely tight to turn this into a profit and direct sales is the only way to do this. You'll never be able to purchase Schiit from anybody else than Schiit and shipping oversee is extremely prohibitive here.

poxymoron

Of course, Schiit's costs are much higher for obvious reasons. There is no margin left for third party vendors or to absorb oversee shipping (which is also much much less in Asia). Their price structure must be extremely tight to turn this into a profit and direct sales is the only way to do this. You'll never be able to purchase Schiit from anybody else than Schiit and shipping oversee is extremely prohibitive here.
I get that, it's the same with most US made products when buying in Europe.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For ordering direct from Schiit the fee for freight is as follows to London in the UK.
zzzzzzz london zip.png

PeteL

Major Contributor
For a $109 device, I would only worry about infant mortality. Get it from a place that allows free returns for the 30 days and after that, you are good to go. If it dies, you get another one. Keep in mind that Schiit charges you shipping both ways (when you buy and when you ship back for warranty). Unless you have a commercial shipping account, it is likely easier to just buy a new one that to mess with getting repairs, etc.
"Ouch" - The Planet.

threni

Major Contributor
I get that, it's the same with most US made products when buying in Europe.
The manufacturer warranty is shorter for some Schiit products when buying from the UK too.

okok

they should be setting up Schiit uk branch while still being hot schiit years back, now the business is shrinking

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A serious western alternative to the (pricier) Topping L30 II !
Sure... if there was only a good reseller for Schiit in Europe.

Schiit EU store is a joke as they never have anything in stock and at this price bracket ordering from Schiit USA is no option IMHO due relatively very high import taxes and shipping fees.
So in the end I went for SMSL and later Topping as those brands you seem to be able to buy locally from about anywhere in the world. It is a shame as I would've bought Schiit if it was available in the EU.

Last edited:

poxymoron

Sure... if there was only a good reseller for Schiit in Europe.

Schiit EU store is a joke as they never have anything in stock and at this price bracket ordering from Schiit USA is no option IMHO due relatively very high import taxes and shipping fees.
So in the end I went for SMSL and later Topping as those brands you seem to be able to buy locally from about anywhere in the world. It is a shame as I would've bought Schiit if it was available in the EU.
This ↑

Reactions: GPJ

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For a $109 device, I would only worry about infant mortality. Get it from a place that allows free returns for the 30 days and after that, you are good to go. If it dies, you get another one. Keep in mind that Schiit charges you shipping both ways (when you buy and when you ship back for warranty). Unless you have a commercial shipping account, it is likely easier to just buy a new one that to mess with getting repairs, etc.
I've had service from Schiit on a headphone amp I had. I submitted my support request to Schiit and had an RMA the same day. I shipped it out for $14 and they recieved it 2 days later. Repair was complete 4 business days after they received it and they shipped it out same day via FedEx and didn't charge me for return shipping. It was friction free, quite quick, and for only $14 I would not recommend throwing it out instead.

trenino

Here the prices are:
Schiit Magni 3 Heresy - 175 euros
Topping L30ii - 145 euros

(Wondering how they compare to Fiio K7 - 250 euros)

Hard to choose!

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice to see absence of high order distortion components. This should sound very good.
If they can somehow make the H3 and H2 switch places it'll be even 'more perfect'...

elderblaze

wow great measurements, now throw it in the trash and get a lesser measuring amp to enjoy music, preferably one with tubes. These amps where made as a joke by the company specifically to shut people like amir up. It's brilliant really, design a cheap, simple device that measures ace to sell to all the ASR cult. Keep selling musical "not perfect" amps to the rest of us. Capture both markets, boom. That's why these amps are named "heretic and Heresay" because they are so against the grain of the company. Ashame they felt like they had to do it because of place like ASR.

Last edited:

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
wow great measurements, now throw it in the trash and get a lesser measuring amp to enjoy music, preferably one with tubes. These amps where made as a joke by the company specifically to shut people like amir up. It's brilliant really, design a cheap, simple device that measures ace to sell to all the ASR cult. Keep selling musical "not perfect" amps to the rest of us. Capture both markets, boom. That's why these amps are named "heretic and Heresay" because they are so against the grain of the company. Ashame they felt like they had to do it because of place like ASR.
Wouldn't go that far.
I usually prefer tubes but would not buy an amp that wasn't measured. And the two schiit versions, Heresy & Piety, should be a win-win. Everyone gets their 'dream device' and can enjoy the music as they wish...

elderblaze

Amir would love my setup an RME ADI-2 FS paired with a real hertic, a tube amplifer lol (monoprice liquid platinum). You know what, the ADI-2's headphone out actually sounds fine, especially with a little EQ. It's a great fallback device. I think people sometimes think something must measure well to sound good. I happen to enjoy tube distortion, and I won't pretend it measures well, im ok with that. It's particularly absurd once certain inaudible measurements have been reached. Im not going to put a 135 SINAD device on some pedal-stool when I can't hear any difference between it and a 100 sinad device, it gets pretty ridiculous. At a certain point, more is just more, not better.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"Ouch" - The Planet.
You don't think Schiit will actually pay a technician to sit there and repair a $109 item, do you? Mike in one of his interviews says there is no economic model to repair any item like this, even post manufacturing failures. You just throw it away.

Top Bottom