• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Topping E70 is defective. Skipping issue

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I got my E70 a few days ago and was noting the audio hiccupping when using the optical input from my tv.

I can't blame the source, since my former D30pro never had this issue. While playing the ps5 it increases even more, maybe the higher dynamic range?

And yes, I'm using the lastest 1.03 firmware.

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
There may be a setting in the DAC such as dpll which allows it to handle high jitter from the TV.

OP
H

Human Bass

There may be a setting in the DAC such as dpll which allows it to handle high jitter from the TV.
Well, I hope so. Optical nowadays is more common on TVs than anything else. If the dac cant deal with the jitter in this scenario, than it's a bad implementation.

Roland68

Major Contributor
So I got my E70 a few days ago and was noting the audio hipcupping when using the optical input from my tv.

I can't blame the source, since my former D30pro never had this issue. While playing the ps5 it increases even more, maybe the higher dynamic range?

And yes, I'm using the lastest 1.03 firmware.

You should definitely check your TV's audio settings. Make sure it outputs stereo (2ch). With some TVs, these settings are hidden in the analogue area.
The D30Pro has a CS8416 receiver chip, which is not comparable to the old AK4118, but handles many formats. I don't know which receiver chip is used from the E70, it may only be able to do standard 2-channel without any frills.
This usually has nothing to do with jitter, but with the fact that many TV manufacturers no longer adhere to the standards and install very inferior interfaces.

OP
H

Human Bass

You should definitely check your TV's audio settings. Make sure it outputs stereo (2ch). With some TVs, these settings are hidden in the analogue area.
The D30Pro has a CS8416 receiver chip, which is not comparable to the old AK4118, but handles many formats. I don't know which receiver chip is used from the E70, it may only be able to do standard 2-channel without any frills.
This usually has nothing to do with jitter, but with the fact that many TV manufacturers no longer adhere to the standards and install very inferior interfaces.
Already done all that, everything set to pcm. I've always used this TV with stereo setups like the D30 and the internal dac of my edifier speakers, both with zero problems. The TV is a very decent lg oled.

Last edited:
OP
H

Human Bass

Ok, I found the option on my tv to "bypass audio", let's see if that is a fix.

Alcophone

So I got my E70 a few days ago and was noting the audio hipcupping when using the optical input from my tv.

TOSLINK is very sensitive to how well the cable is seated, often you can move it quite a bit side to side, depending on the cable and device in question. See if you can nudge it to be properly centered/perpendicular, maybe that helps. The insertion depth also matters, sometimes results are better when you don't quite fully insert it all the way (and sometimes it's surprisingly hard to insert it fully and you just think it's fully seated).
How do you switch sources, do you swap cables a lot? There could be dust or other dirt on the cable or in the port, or the fiber might have been damaged. Less likely with a new device and if the issue disappears when you go back to your old DAC, of course. And if it's two different cables that have the issue, it's unlikely to be those.

TOSLINK is most fragile at high sample rates (176.4 or 192 kHz), what does the Playstation send? Dynamic range should be irrelevant, S/PDIF over TOSLINK always sends 32 bits per sample per channel, even for 16 bit audio.

If it is the DAC, a TOSLINK to Coax converter might be a viable remedy, many are cheap. Can't vouch for their jitter or noise, though, but maybe the E70 can overcome that, I don't know.

OP
H

Human Bass

TOSLINK is very sensitive to how well the cable is seated, often you can move it quite a bit side to side, depending on the cable and device in question. See if you can nudge it to be properly centered/perpendicular, maybe that helps. The insertion depth also matters, sometimes results are better when you don't quite fully insert it all the way (and sometimes it's surprisingly hard to insert it fully and you just think it's fully seated).
How do you switch sources, do you swap cables a lot? There could be dust or other dirt on the cable or in the port, or the fiber might have been damaged. Less likely with a new device and if the issue disappears when you go back to your old DAC, of course. And if it's two different cables that have the issue, it's unlikely to be those.

TOSLINK is most fragile at high sample rates (176.4 or 192 kHz), what does the Playstation send? Dynamic range should be irrelevant, S/PDIF over TOSLINK always sends 32 bits per sample per channel, even for 16 bit audio.

If it is the DAC, a TOSLINK to Coax converter might be a viable remedy, many are cheap. Can't vouch for their jitter or noise, though, but maybe the E70 can overcome that, I don't know.
48khz, so quite easy to deal with. I've tried 2 cables, both with a good fit. It really seems the E70 is overly picky.

OP
H

Human Bass

@JohnYang1997 would a firmware that makes the E70 less picky about this matter possible? I mean, the D30pro doesn't have this problem afterall.

OP
H

Human Bass

@Human Bass , you earlier posted in the E70 thread a firmware update fixed skipping, so apparently not?
Yup. It depends on the source, if I'm watching YouTube, the skipping is less common, once every 10 minutes, but when playing the ps5 it happens once every 2 minutes.

OP
H

Human Bass

@Human Bass , you earlier posted in the E70 thread a firmware update fixed skipping, so apparently not?
Yup. It depends on the source, if I'm watching YouTube, the skipping is less common, once every 10 minutes, but when playing the ps5 it happens once every 2 minutes.

OP
H

Human Bass

So I thought "maybe it is clipping" and reduced the volume to -5db. Nope, didn't make a difference.

Whatever cheap dac my Edifier speaker has handles the optical input way better than the E70.

Top Bottom