• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Schiit Magni Heretic Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 49 18.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 216 80.9%

• Total voters

Ajax

Forum Donor
@amirm you can bask in the glow of the trending improvement of audio product development and the quality of tech you can acquire for the money. To some extent, your persistent test measurement publications, has pushed the industry in the right direction for the average consumer. Take some pride in the actualization of your efforts. Thank you Sir! We are indeed lucky to have you as our advocate for change. :cool:
I was thinking the same thing myself Adam.

I certainly don't wish to incite a riot between the objectives and subjectives, however, there is simply no need to purchase gear that does not measure well. Amir has tested so many products now that there is plenty to choose from. Opinions are just that and the only way you can be sure or not if you are buying good gear is by measuring it.

The down side is that after several years following Amir's work I find I can no longer read an audio magazine, which is a shame because I use to enjoy them.

Thanks again Amir.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
after several years following Amir's work I find I can no longer read an audio magazine, which is a shame because I use to enjoy them.
Could not agree more! I have since cancelled all subscriptions. Realizing I was paying them money to send me product advertisements disguised as Reviews. Once your eyes are opened there is no going back.

martijn86

Why aren't these devices powered by USB-C PD? Tiny little GaN charger, laptop or powerbank... I wish I could just have a single 3 or 4 port GaN charger to power most of the (low power) peripheral's in my media cabinet.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This Schiit is just insane. Amazing work by Schiit on making this little firecracker.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

xnor

Why does the sound distort?

From the amp measurements and Expanse efficiency and impedance, it shouldn't distort?

Or is it the driver distorting at high SPL?
The Expanse are quite insensitive and low impedance, so when you get into ~115 dB SPL territory you'll reach the knee in the THD+N curve above which distortion will rise drastically.
Most low impedance headphones, however, would take damage at those voltages.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is anyone interested in seeing the NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety measured here?
I've seen a review of it on another forum that doesn't care for measurements, and the Magni Piety seems to be in the middle of the pack when it comes to measurements. It'd be good to see it measured on a proper AP/rig.

wemist01

JDS Atom+ (same SINAD and price)
Advantage: Atom has two inputs: RCA and 3.5.
Disadvantage 1: The case is plastic and the contents so flimsy that there are fill-weights in the case. The adhesive on one weights gave way for me so I had to open it up and remove it. Now it is even more lightweight. The form of the Heretic is surely better.
Disadvatage 2: The Heritic has more power.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is anyone interested in seeing the NITSCH x Schiit Magni Piety measured here?

I have one but I live too far from Amir for the measurements. It would be awesome if you could send a unit to Amir

index.php

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is how it should be - ~$100, SOTA performance, done. I have no need for this, but I am happy the industry (at least part of it) is headed this way.

From an aesthetic point of view, it would be nice if Schiit made a DAC, HP AMP and a PSU that drives both - all with similar chassis so they can be stacked and avoid two clunky power adapters.

someguyontheinternet

Why aren't these devices powered by USB-C PD? Tiny little GaN charger, laptop or powerbank... I wish I could just have a single 3 or 4 port GaN charger to power most of the (low power) peripheral's in my media cabinet.
I read somewhere that the USB-C connectors are very finicky. Keep in mind that USB-C is just the form factor and there are a bunch of different standards jammed into that unified port connector. It's probably possible to implement with some time, but I don't think it's worth the effort for most smaller/mid-sized companies to spend that time on it when they could be improving more substantial aspects of their products.

KR500

Hate to nitpick, but as a long time customer of Schmitt Audio products I am wondering if the “ scratchy pot “ syndrome has been fixed on these yet ?

I have 2 Magni’s from SA which both have it, and it is an annoying QC problem when turning it’s volume pot up or down.
One Magni was a B stock sale item,but the other was off the line A stock . Spraying the pot with detox-it helps….. but then the issu comes back

Top Bottom