• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice wanted: Taking over an HiFi Store

fivepast8

Forum Donor
Dear Forum Members

I'd like to get an hear some advice.
I am based in Zurich, Switzerland. I am in my mid fifties and was recently retrenched. The past 20 years I have been the managing director of various small to medium enterprises in the high tech field including medical electronics with 100 to 250 employees. All business experience has been B2B. Educational back ground is PhD EE and MBA. I have the wonderful opportunity to re-invent myself and I am mulling over some options.

One of them is the opportunity to take over an well established Hifi Store in Zurich city. I visited the owner and his claim to fame is the ability to "match" electronics, cable and speakers. He carries the typical Swiss brands such as Piega, Neukomm, Stenheim and some other imported stuff like T&A, Rega, Cambridge: nothing really too much in the "oligarch hifi" but also nothing that the crowds here would approve of as measuring well for its cost. Fortunately, tube gear is to a minimum but of course he caters to the hipsters and sells them vinyl players.

I quick analysis shows that his long term customers are "typical audiophile", spending around U$10k per system. The current owner and his employees are believers of "you can't measure everything we can here" and unfortunately, he described an episode of switching an Ethernet router :facepalm:. While he agrees that "speaker-room interaction" is important he told me that he tames the system by swapping cables :oops:. Also, they have done barely any work on computer audio, don't understand Roon nor REW, and shy away from local streaming as they find it to complex for their customers???

I am wondering, if taking over the store (apparently by only paying off the stock) is at all useful. Of course he has long established relationships with some distributors and local manufacturers and he has a established customer base and store brand name. There are no exclusive rights for brands or territory. My worry is that I would just piss off the current customer base by teaching them too much about Toole, psycho-acoustics, room corrections, Harman curve etc. The ones agreeing would be pissed of that they spent too much in the past, the others would be pissed off at the sacrilege of believing in measurements.

Do you guys think it is worth while or should one alternatively just start from scratch?
What other factors would you consider before making such a jump?

Financially, it is not such a complicated transaction. The owner wants his "baby" to survive past his retirement and I am secure enough that I am not reliant on the store income alone.

Your thoughts are much appreciated, especially from the members who have their own brick&mortar stores.
Cheers

MAB

Major Contributor
Dear Forum Members

I'd like to get an hear some advice.
I am based in Zurich, Switzerland. I am in my mid fifties and was recently retrenched. The past 20 years I have been the managing director of various small to medium enterprises in the high tech field including medical electronics with 100 to 250 employees. All business experience has been B2B. Educational back ground is PhD EE and MBA. I have the wonderful opportunity to re-invent myself and I am mulling over some options.

One of them is the opportunity to take over an well established Hifi Store in Zurich city. I visited the owner and his claim to fame is the ability to "match" electronics, cable and speakers. He carries the typical Swiss brands such as Piega, Neukomm, Stenheim and some other imported stuff like T&A, Rega, Cambridge: nothing really too much in the "oligarch hifi" but also nothing that the crowds here would approve of as measuring well for its cost. Fortunately, tube gear is to a minimum but of course he caters to the hipsters and sells them vinyl players.

I quick analysis shows that his long term customers are "typical audiophile", spending around U$10k per system. The current owner and his employees are believers of "you can't measure everything we can here" and unfortunately, he described an episode of switching an Ethernet router :facepalm:. While he agrees that "speaker-room interaction" is important he told me that he tames the system by swapping cables :oops:. Also, they have done barely any work on computer audio, don't understand Roon nor REW, and shy away from local streaming as they find it to complex for their customers???

I am wondering, if taking over the store (apparently by only paying off the stock) is at all useful. Of course he has long established relationships with some distributors and local manufacturers and he has a established customer base and store brand name. There are no exclusive rights for brands or territory. My worry is that I would just piss off the current customer base by teaching them too much about Toole, psycho-acoustics, room corrections, Harman curve etc. The ones agreeing would be pissed of that they spent too much in the past, the others would be pissed off at the sacrilege of believing in measurements.

Do you guys think it is worth while or should one alternatively just start from scratch?
What other factors would you consider before making such a jump?

Financially, it is not such a complicated transaction. The owner wants his "baby" to survive past his retirement and I am secure enough that I am not reliant on the store income alone.

Your thoughts are much appreciated, especially from the members who have their own brick&mortar stores.
Cheers
My limited experience as an employee in USA home hifi sales is the customers demand magic and will not appreciate any education. In fact, hifi customers tend to come in and need their non-technical world view validated. It’s quite excruciating, and not something that can be educated out. Sad to say, car stereo is much more objective, despite the flaws. This is my perspective on one part of your question. Hope it helps.

DTTOM37

Hi, from the center of France.
I like your opportunity, especially, if your own calculations allow you to start that adventure.
In my personal opinion. there are some important things to analyse or questions to answer:
1) The rental contract for the shop in Zurich. Does the needed overhead allow you to change the sales strategy to your own vision ?
2) If you avoid actively margin-driven products like cables and such, how would you substitute the overhead they produce?
3) Do you feel it is feasable for you that you offer both, the service your customers want as well as the service you would love to offer, side by side ?
4) Given your pre-disposition to ASR you may find also new clients with offerings that are more educative, but honestly - no offense to the ASR members - there might be more money to be made by less educated customers when you sensibly serve their needs.
5) I have noticed in the last years that a great part of the store business margin is hidden in custom installations (private & companies) rather than in stock sales, and you may need to find out if this part of the business will rest with the store owner or is transferred to you as well.
Just a couple of thoughts - however I love the idea if the attached risks seem feasable to you
Tom
edit:
If the Swiss market will turn out like the French, you may have a fall back scenario because national operating groups may look for established shops to integrate in their assembly of main street shop windows for their distribution line. However, Züri may have already been saturated by this development.

Last edited:

nc535

not something I, also a retired EE but from the technology side, not the management side, would ever touch. Nor would I attempt to design and manufacture speakers; bringing profit and loss into the picture would make it too much like work. Then there would be the risk of the business failing...

To manage the risks and if you really, really want to do it, take a job in sales/sales management with him and then if no red flags, negotiate a buyout in which you pay him out of future profits.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are no exclusive rights for brands or territory.
No territory for product lines is strange. They should at the least give you a territory and a sales contract. You might have to search about and find new product lines that will give you a sales agreement and territory. Without the agreement they could pull out at anytime after months/years of your effort in creating a following of customers that are loyal to you and then the product line is gone. As a side note if there is no sales agreement then you could get rid of excess baggage and get different stuff.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No territory for product lines is strange. They should at the least give you a territory and a sales contract. You might have to search about and find new product lines that will give you a sales agreement and territory. Without the agreement they could pull out at anytime after months/years of your effort in creating a following of customers that are loyal to you and then the product line is gone. As a side note if there is no sales agreement then you could get rid of excess baggage and get different stuff.
It's something the EU banned some time ago to encourage competition and thus lower prices. Although Switzerland isn't in the EU, it follows most if not all EU regulations.

S.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in the USA, so take that into consideration. But here at least it's as grim for hi-fi as the previous posts describe. Even the JBL store at Times Square doesn't bother with trying to sell high fidelity stuff anymore. They make their big profits now selling rubbish plastic lo-fi pods from China. Beware!

buz

Forum Donor
Not to be insulting (sure as hell applies to me, even though I bailed out of ethz early on) , but most engineers are horrible at b2c sales (very different from b2b).

Also, all the above points about it being a dying industry.

OP
fivepast8

fivepast8

Forum Donor
I'm in the USA, so take that into consideration. But here at least it's as grim for hi-fi as the previous posts describe. Even the JBL store at Times Square doesn't bother with trying to sell high fidelity stuff anymore. They make their big profits now selling rubbish plastic lo-fi pods from China. Beware!
That might be one of the reasons to actually buy the store as it has been around for 40plus years, doesn't dabble in brands that can be purchased online, and he seems to have curated his customer based. Except for the COVID slow down, the store is financially sound: albeit it used to be bigger it has been turning a profit every year they have shown me. This has me puzzled :confused:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That might be one of the reasons to actually buy the store as it has been around for 40plus years, doesn't dabble in brands that can be purchased online, and he seems to have curated his customer based. Except for the COVID slow down, the store is financially sound: albeit it used to be bigger it has been turning a profit every year they have shown me. This has me puzzled :confused:
Perhaps you have a local market, then. That's entirely possible. Anymore, the only people I know that appreciate real fidelity are musicians, or us boffinesque miscreants at ASR.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Don’t.
Keith

OP
fivepast8

fivepast8

Forum Donor
Not to be insulting (sure as hell applies to me, even though I bailed out of ethz early on) , but most engineers are horrible at b2c sales (very different from b2b).

Also, all the above points about it being a dying industry.
I asked for honest feedback.... so no insult taken, and I probably suck as well :)

OP
fivepast8

fivepast8

Forum Donor
Hi, from the center of France.
I like your opportunity, especially, if your own calculations allow you to start that adventure.
In my personal opinion. there are some important things to analyse or questions to answer:
1) The rental contract for the shop in Zurich. Does the needed overhead allow you to change the sales strategy to your own vision ?
2) If you avoid actively margin-driven products like cables and such, how would you substitute the overhead they produce?
3) Do you feel it is feasable for you that you offer both, the service your customers want as well as the service you would love to offer, side by side ?
4) Given your pre-disposition to ASR you may find also new clients with offerings that are more educative, but honestly - no offense to the ASR members - there might be more money to be made by less educated customers when you sensibly serve their needs.
5) I have noticed in the last years that a great part of the store business margin is hidden in custom installations (private & companies) rather than in stock sales, and you may need to find out if this part of the business will rest with the store owner or is transferred to you as well.
Just a couple of thoughts - however I love the idea if the attached risks seem feasable to you
Tom
edit:
If the Swiss market will turn out like the French, you may have a fall back scenario because national operating groups may look for established shops to integrate in their assembly of main street shop windows for their distribution line. However, Züri may have already been saturated by this development.

Thank you all very good points: I haven't done a 80:20 margin analysis.. would be a bummer if cables made all the profits.

OP
fivepast8

fivepast8

Forum Donor
My limited experience as an employee in USA home hifi sales is the customers demand magic and will not appreciate any education. In fact, hifi customers tend to come in and need their non-technical world view validated. It’s quite excruciating, and not something that can be educated out. Sad to say, car stereo is much more objective, despite the flaws. This is my perspective on one part of your question. Hope it helps.
Thanks a bunch, very insightful and sort of confirming my hunch! I can totally see the car guys taking a much more "science aka engineering" based approach.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you all very good points: I haven't done a 80:20 margin analysis.. would be a bummer if cables made all the profits.
It's a bitter truth, but may be so.

Top Bottom