• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New McIntosh Turntable

Capitol C

A new way to appeal to tube fans. Description is at https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/turntables/MTI100

1669491656086.png

MAB

Major Contributor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know McIntosh has a long history with turntables (not), but please get the tubes away from the tonearm where your hand needs to go:
View attachment 246108
Looks like they left just enough room between the tube cage and the tonearm headshell to fit your fingers.:facepalm: The tubes have no place here. This is tube-desperation!
It might be a carbon fiber mat. That would be a bonus to have it as a stock item.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAB

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Belt drive? A Bluetooth input? No dust cover? This is a weird hodgepodge. That tonearm doesn't look very sophisticated.

I wonder how many people fit in the target audience of "Hipsters who want just a turntable and speakers showing, but don't need a lot of power, but believe the McIntosh hype and can afford it." Heck, I always wonder who buys McIntosh without VU meters in the first place.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Just stumbled across this:
View attachment 246119
A mug that is inconvenient to drink from is a good pairing for this turntable.
It's not b*itches brew?? :D Inconvenience is the biggest likeness to the real turntable. The other day my dust cover broke. It's old and it lost a lot of it's flexibility. Two little flaps that fit into the hinge broke off. As soon as the first one went, the other couldn't bear the entire spring pressure and followed the first one immediately.

Reactions: MAB

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From one of the dealer blurbs:

Because it's also an amplifier and there's amplification on the back, you got the tubes up front, to meet code, it's not allowed to have a cover. They don't want you to put a cover over the top of this thing and, because of the heat buildup, basically turn it into a little oven.

Seven large? Some might think that is a lot of money. But it does come with a lot of stuff packed inside it. At first I was thinking that this is the most idiotic thing I've seen this week. Possibly the entire month. But then I thought, "Hey... it's got a little oven in it!" I don't know about anyone else, but an integrated turntable with a little oven in it? What's not to like about that? It's definitely a first, as far as I know. But is it enough?

I think we can all agree that if they could fit a little refrigerator in it, that would make it even better, because then you could have a cold drink with your hot sandwich, while you are listening to your records. But I guess you can't expect everything. For seven thousand dollars.

Ricardus

Mac got bought a month or two ago, so I fully expect the brand to be gutted and ruined in no time. That's what corporations do.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Mac got bought a month or two ago, so I fully expect the brand to be gutted and ruined in no time. That's what corporations do.
Or they might make a Hypex based McIntosh? :D

It's one thing to be McIntosh, but to be McInjoke like that?!?

Ricardus

Or they might make a Hypex based McIntosh? :D

It's one thing to be McIntosh, but to be McInjoke like that?!?
I'd buy a Class D Mac if they developed it and it tested great. Just don't put any stupid fake tubes on it with green LEDs under it.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
McIntosh has turned out to be low hanging fruitcake in the 'make fun of whatever they are doing' department. They've become such a self-parody.

But even with all that, there's always room for the company to step up their game. Like this thing. It could definitely be MacModded. I realize that seven thousand dollars is low balling it for a company like McIntosh--I'm sure that right now Fremer has a review ready, proclaiming it to be 'a bargain'. But why slum? When has Mac ever been geared toward bottom feeding bargain hunters? Loyal and willing customers expect, and would likely give it up for, an 'improved' unit..., maybe one selling as high as ten thousand dollars.

In order to help out the company, here's the plan:

First, front panel should be glass, featuring a silk screened logo backlit by green a LED. Then, blue meters on either side of the logo. Left meter might show which input is selected. That makes sense. And this is a sensible product. Right? Speaking of, it needs one on the right, just to balance it out.

Since the likely buyer of this probably works as a low-level gofer at the Exchange, and lives in a 90 square foot Manhattan studio (hence the need for an all in one stereo unit), and because the thing has Bluetooth connectivity, it could be programmed from a phone to show in real time (possibly with peak-hold) the value of selected investments... 0dB equaling $100.00; -50dB reserved for things like FTX crypto tokens.

The fact that it can act as a small stove (with dust cover down) is a big plus for anyone living in such a small space. Set a sandwich sideways, next to the tubes, and in a few minutes, when the cheese gets soft, well... you have it right there. Have to be careful to monitor it, though. You don't want your Velveeta singles to actually melt, dripping cheese-like processed goo product into green LED tube sockets. That might void the warranty.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A mug that is inconvenient to drink from is a good pairing for this turntable.
Put your records to close to the tubes, and with low sensitivity loudspeakers, your records will look like that mug!

DonR

Major Contributor
First with the car audio (for a Jeep!) and now this. The high bar once set by McIntosh is sinking.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First with the car audio (for a Jeep!) and now this.

To me, that's a weird one. In 'high end' audio, from a marketing standpoint, you'd think you'd want your brand to be associated with a commensurate 'high end' automobile. And the reverse. The 'rub off' effect. For example:

Audi, Lamborghini, Aston Martin: Bang and Olufsen; Bugatti, Merc, Porsche: Burmester; Bentley: Naim; Rolls: in house design; BMW: HK; Cadillac: AKG; Ferrari: JBL; Lexus: Levinson.

Jeeps are expensive, but have always been pretty blue collar in form/function--in spite of the fact that they have become something of a fashion brand. Even the six figure Grand Wagoneer (which features McIntosh) doesn't ring 'high end' transportation, like other brands. In practice it's simply an ugly (but monstrous) SUV. Does Mac consider their gear to be big and ugly? Is that the association? Maybe that's the answer. And maybe they need to work out a deal with Harley-Davidson.

I guess you could argue that Harman Kardon doesn't have an intrinsic upscale brand recognition. People here might remember their Citation stuff. But mostly that's forgotten. AKG, albeit an important and storied studio-oriented brand, isn't really associated with anything home audio. JBL is a mixed bag.

DonR

Major Contributor
To me, that's a weird one. In 'high end' audio, from a marketing standpoint, you'd think you'd want your brand to be associated with a commensurate 'high end' automobile. And the reverse. The 'rub off' effect. For example:

Audi, Lamborghini, Aston Martin: Bang and Olufsen; Bugatti, Merc, Porsche: Burmester; Bentley: Naim; Rolls: in house design; BMW: HK; Cadillac: AKG; Ferrari: JBL; Lexus: Levinson.

Jeeps are expensive, but have always been pretty blue collar in form/function--in spite of the fact that they have become something of a fashion brand. Even the six figure Grand Wagoneer (which features McIntosh) doesn't ring 'high end' transportation, like other brands. In practice it's simply an ugly (but monstrous) SUV. Does Mac consider their gear to be big and ugly? Is that the association? Maybe that's the answer. And maybe they need to work out a deal with Harley-Davidson.

I guess you could argue that Harman Kardon doesn't have an intrinsic upscale brand recognition. People here might remember their Citation stuff. But mostly that's forgotten. AKG, albeit an important and storied studio-oriented brand, isn't really associated with anything home audio. JBL is a mixed bag.
Yes, Jeep was always seen as utilitarian and rugged (an undeserved attribute, particularly in the last 20 years). McIntosh was refined and conservative. The pairing makes little sense to me. This new "thing" is simply mind-boggling.

Top Bottom