• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

General Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAB

Major Contributor
Or perhaps another possible analogy would be religion. There are of course many religions around the world and each religion has its believers but the only people who get worked up about whether one religion is right or wrong are terrorists. This being America I believe audio enthusiasts should feel free to try different cables for example without fear of being called fools by others.
Very wordy way to work in a terrorist reference. Sorry you are fearful. You should try being a scientist or engineer who designs the circuits you use, in a world of people who still believe magical forces control the electricity in the wires of their hifi. And you have no idea what they call us!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I am new here and have a general question. I have read multiple negative comments calling others “audiofools”, etc. and am wondering if there is a website for the “audiofools” who DO believe cables, etc. make a difference spend their time criticizing those who do NOT believe certain cables, etc. make a difference?
Pick just about any other random audio forum? Or come right here, your doing it…
I wonder if perhaps there is not such a site because it would seem that if an enthusiast loves their system they would spend any spare time they had listening versus going to a forum and writing negative things about those who are happy with their sound.
You can do both at once, you know…
I respect those of you who have the knowledge and expertise to scientifically measure electronics, but not everything can be measured or explained.
So how then do these companies come up with their fantasy products? Sheer luck? Why do they have to pretend to be scientific with all kinds of clearly obvious pseudoscientific gobbledygook marketing nonsense?

Besides, it’s just an argument to not have to justify anything. It not useful in any way.
I have had a difficult time thinking of an analogy but take for example, megalithic stones that weigh 100 tons that cannot be lifted by any modern equipment yet those stones were moved many miles thousands of years ago and there is no explanation for how it was done.
That’s what all of those people would like you to think.

This is no different to all of those magazines telling you cables sound different.
It is a subject I enjoy thinking about and I have my theories but I would not want to waste time arguing with someone about it.
Yeah, please don’t.
Someday someone may be able to figure it out how those stones were moved and what if someday someone determines there is a way to measure why some cables sound better to one person while the same cables sound identical to another person even though each cable has identical measurements using current knowledge.
We can measure it, and they don’t make a difference. Ignoring evidence doesn’t make it go away.
Then wouldn’t those who call others audiofools feel foolish themselves?
I think if any of this was really proven, people would be fascinated by this!
Or perhaps another possible analogy would be religion. There are of course many religions around the world and each religion has its believers but the only people who get worked up about whether one religion is right or wrong are terrorists.
Really? What a fantastic apologists ”argument”… now what?

In any case, being worked up about something doesn’t prove that they are either right or wrong about anything. Remember, at best one of those religions is right, they can’t all be true. Just believing one is doesn’t make it so.
This being America I believe audio enthusiasts should feel free to try different cables for example without fear of being called fools by others.
This is not America. This is an international community. Anyway, you should see what “they” call us at times. You should not care either. If you want to try cables, try them. But also try to be actually informed about how they work, how your hearing works and how to listen to things in a controlled way.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Very wordy way to work in a terrorist reference. Sorry you are fearful. You should try being a scientist or engineer who designs the circuits you use, in a world of people who still believe magical forces control the electricity in the wires of their hifi. And you have no idea what they call us!
But it’s funny that he whine about calling people audiophool for believing in cables sound, all the while calling people terrorists for disagreeing with a religion. :facepalm:

Geert

Major Contributor
However, I have a way of testing changes to my system and it involves listening for certain words or instruments in certain songs that were once unintelligible are now crystal clear. So perhaps others have a similar test.
Audiophiles make this mistake all the time. They install a new component and then start listening with exceptional focus, trying to discover all the improvements. It's usually that exceptional focus that makes you hear things better and not the qualities of the new component. You regularly see this happening in reviews in magazines; "with cable X I can now follow the sax playing". So I look up that song on YouTube and listen to it on cheap PC speakers, and it turns out I can follow the sax even with my fingers in my ears...

You need to perform a blind test to assure you're not fooling yourselve.

Now if anyone is interested I will bet $1,000 to any who is willing to come to my house in Houston and stand behind my equipment rack while I am turned the opposite direction and or blindfolded while they plug and unplug the Furutech NCF Clear Line. If I am not correct when whether the Clear Line is plugged or unplugged I will pay $1,000 if I am correct I will collect my $1,000.
Travelling to Houston costs me more than $1,000 so unfortunately I pass. But I wonder why Furutech doesn't publish any test results. They don't want to make to much money? According to them this devices even improves picture quality. That would be very easy to illustrate. Of course they would be in trouble if someone repeats that test without positive result...

Last edited:
OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
But it’s funny that he whine about calling people audiophool for believing in cables sound, all the while calling people terrorists for disagreeing with a religion. :facepalm:
The hifi/car analogy is of limited use. The hifi/terrorist analogy is not useful, it just isn’t.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol then whole nations are "terrorists". And we're being trolled hard.

Reactions: MAB

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After careful consideration I have selected this as the most fun comment so far in this thread…

“So I look up that song on YouTube and listen to it on cheap PC speakers, and it turns out I can follow the sax even with my fingers in my ears...”

If you think you can beat it, please do.

Geert

Major Contributor
After careful consideration I have selected this as the most fun comment so far in this thread…

“So I look up that song on YouTube and listen to it on cheap PC speakers, and it turns out I can follow the sax even with my fingers in my ears...”

If you think you can beat it, please do.

It would be funny if it wasn't real. The song used in the review on Hifi.nl is from Anette Askvik's album 'Liberty'

Feel free to do the 'fingers in the ears test' to determine if you system is resolving enough ;) (No need to go so far that your fingertips touch).

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
It would be funny if it wasn't real. The song used in the review is from Annette Askvik's album 'Liberty'

Feel free to do the 'fingers in the ears test' to determine if you system is resolving enough ;-) (No need to go so far that your fingertips touch).

She does crone about breaking bones, or something, so one should not take that test to heart. :)

CAS II

Did you buy the Furutech NCF Clear Line from an authorized Furutech dealer? Or did you buy the cheapest one you could find? If this is how you spend you all spend your time, I will go ahead and say it - I call you all very sad people, very, very sad. Instead of enjoying this hobby, you spend your time discrediting those who do. So. I will end this worthless diatribe by telling you all to F.O. Done, no more deal. End of discussion. I will not waste any more of my time arguing with you all. Close the thread, and then you all can enjoy what you all take twisted pleasure in alone.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you buy the Furutech NCF Clear Line from an authorized Furutech dealer? Or did you buy the cheapest one you could find? If this is how you spend you all spend your time, I will go ahead and say it - I call you all very sad people, very, very sad. Instead of enjoying this hobby, you spend your time discrediting those who do. So. I will end this worthless diatribe by telling you all to F.O. Done, no more deal. End of discussion. I will not waste any more of my time arguing with you all. Close the thread, and then you all can enjoy what you all take twisted pleasure in alone.
OMG...please don't go!!!!

/Well if you insist

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
I didn’t buy a Furutech NCF Clear Line from authorized Furutech dealer, and I didn’t get one on eBay using buy-it-now! Must have slipped my mind.
You are hilarious.

Trell

Major Contributor
I didn’t buy a Furutech NCF Clear Line from authorized Furutech dealer, and I didn’t get one on eBay using buy-it-now! Must have slipped my mind.
You are hilarious.

The silver lining is after mods moving a bunch of posts you're now the OP. Enjoy. :p

1669473880946.png

DSJR

Major Contributor
Oh dear - rather than try to argue the case, he loses it and stomps off.

Back in the day, I used to compare cables and could hear a meaningful difference between them as well as direction (shock, horror!). Thing is, the ones with the most obvious 'sound' were flawed in some way (very high resistance in one, high capacitance in another, silver plated speaker 5* award winning speaker cables with dubious copper underneath and so on).

ALL the 'sensibly made and straight down the line' cables that were available using good quality materials however, used to 'sound' much the same to me and as I learned to look away from accessory manufacturers as time went on and more to the pro side which didn't seem as bad, I began to trust and experience the fact that these cables 'sounded' just fine, didn't in the slightest appear to alter the signal passing through them and with speaker cables.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I will end this worthless diatribe by telling you all to F.O. Done, no more deal. End of discussion. I will not waste any more of my time arguing with you all. Close the thread, and then you all can enjoy what you all take twisted pleasure in alone.
❤️

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh dear - rather than try to argue the case, he loses it and stomps off.
I daresay he was disingenuous from the start.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you buy the Furutech NCF Clear Line from an authorized Furutech dealer? Or did you buy the cheapest one you could find?
Why does that matter?
If this is how you spend you all spend your time, I will go ahead and say it - I call you all very sad people, very, very sad.
What? Searching for the best Furutech deal?
Instead of enjoying this hobby, you spend your time discrediting those who do.
Yeah, you surely didn’t :facepalm:
So. I will end this worthless diatribe by telling you all to F.O. Done, no more deal. End of discussion.
I wasn’t aware you were interested in a discussion?
I will not waste any more of my time arguing with you all. Close the thread, and then you all can enjoy what you all take twisted pleasure in alone.
We’re not alone. In fact, audio literacy is growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom