• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Re-using sub and car amp for PC sound

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I took 2- 20,000 micro Farad capacitors at ~+/-65VDC across the forearm and my arm muscles twitched and I smacked myself right across the nose. Made a big smack sound and apparently my workmate was looking at me at the exact time it occurred. Scared the living crap outta me because that was a close one.
I had a similar experience as a kid using rectified 120V to charge some large 400uF electrolytic caps and then dump it into an ignition coil. Made some nice long sparks, but man did that send me flying when I touched it by accident.

D

Deleted member 48726

I took 2- 20,000 micro Farad capacitors at ~+/-65VDC across the forearm and my arm muscles twitched and I smacked myself right across the nose. Made a big smack sound and apparently my workmate was looking at me at the exact time it occurred. Scared the living crap outta me because that was a close one.
Not considering the obvious dangerous situation, I couldn't help but thinking it must have looked funny on video; dude smacking himself hard in the face.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not considering the obvious dangerous situation, I couldn't help but thinking it must have looked funny on video; dude smacking himself hard in the face.
My prescription glasses frames where bent to sheit, my nose felt like it had been punched and the side of my face and head was very red...lol. Live and learn. After I discharged every single power supply no matter how many times I powered up and down as I worked on them. The really eery one was when I managed a stereo store we heard a howl and a yelping noise like a dog coming from the basement where the repair shop was located. The technician took a full on electrocution from a magnetron in a 1200W Panasonic microwave oven. He sounded like a dog yelping... It was weird... and he came upstairs and his eyes where wide and round and he was trembling and scared to death. He took the rest of the day off. :D

Cars-N-Cans

I've had similar unintentional KOs. Back in high school my buddy, who was basically a sasquatch like me, couldn't get his arm to go through the sleeve of his coat on the first try, so naturally a lot more force was applied on the second go. Caught me right in the temple, and all I could think was "oh, s*** here comes the floor..." Got me really good with that one, and he wasn't even trying.

Cars-N-Cans

My prescription glasses frames where bent to sheit, my nose felt like it had been punched and the side of my face and head was very red...lol. Live and learn. After I discharged every single power supply no matter how many times I powered up and down as I worked on them. The really eery one was when I managed a stereo store we heard a howl and a yelping noise like a dog coming from the basement where the repair shop was located. The technician took a full on electrocution from a magnetron in a 1200W Panasonic microwave oven. He sounded like a dog yelping... It was weird... and he came upstairs and his eyes where wide and round and he was trembling and scared to death. He took the rest of the day off. :D
Guy who ate the MOT output, damn. He's lucky to have gotten away with that! I almost had a similar incident when repairing a drier. Was about to undo the terminals when I realized it was still plugged into the 240V outlet. That one would have been "interesting." One reason why I sprang for an isolation transformer. Still get shocked, of course, when working on stuff but at least its no longer referenced to the mains.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Guy who ate the MOT output, damn. He's lucky to have gotten away with that! I almost had a similar incident when repairing a drier. Was about to undo the terminals when I realized it was still plugged into the 240V outlet. That one would have been "interesting." One reason why I sprang for an isolation transformer. Still get shocked, of course, when working on stuff but at least its no longer referenced to the mains.
I've taken a couple of 240 hits on my fingers and was not happy about it. It hurts a lot. 120VAC I've been zapped with lotsa times and I just shrugged it off and carried on.

Cars-N-Cans

I've taken a couple of 240 hits on my fingers and was not happy about it. It hurts a lot. 120VAC I've been zapped with lotsa times and I just shrugged it off and carried on.
That's one reason I'm happy we don't have the 240V here in North America. Even though 120 kinda sucks for heavy loads, the voltage is low enough that at least you stand a reasonable chance of not having any issues. Have been hit many times myself, last one was replacing an outlet at my parents house, and didn't know something was back-feeding from another circuit. Go to strip the wires and its like: "Nope. THAT still has power going to it!"

One of my roommates in college didn't even bother to turn off the breaker before changing things. Stupid, dangerous, and lazy. Funny I was watching him change a bad light switch, and I remember telling him to at least turn off the power. The panel was only about 15' away in the main hallway. He's just like f- it and starts replacing it, anyway, while the rest of us watched TV. Sure enough, few minutes later... BANG! and no more power. He's just like "whoops..." It was hilarious in the end. Brand, shiny new switch and cover plate with this long-ass black skidmark on the wall behind it.

Top Bottom