• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If Bits are Bits

Takaya

We hear from folks that bits are bits. Why does a CD redbook player sound better than a Streamer at 44.1/16, or even DSD.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1667647575961.gif

goat76

Major Contributor
Streaming sites always manipulate the data. They just can't help themselves. Shifting the gain, removing the Metadata, sometimes using lossy file compression, etc.

Where did you get that information, or have you done some comparisons yourself?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We hear from folks that bits are bits. Why does a CD redbook player sound better than a Streamer at 44.1/16, or even DSD.

Ignore everyone who says you are wrong. There is still an issue of output voltage. A CD redbook player may output higher voltage than a DAC.

If you look at the Marantz SA-11s2, the voltage is extra high which can translate into louder volumes and higher SNR

DonR

Major Contributor
Ignore everyone who says you are wrong. There is still an issue of output voltage. A CD redbook player may output higher voltage than a DAC.

If you look at the Marantz SA-11s2, the voltage is extra high which can translate into louder volumes and higher SNR
A CD player is simply a transport and a DAC combined. Surely, if there is an output difference it could go either way.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh come on, this is very formulaic trolling. I am sure you can do better.
The trolling has been off lately. Perhaps we're too mean to them.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
The CD and the "CD quality" stream should sound identical, ASSUMING they are level matched, from the same source, and that there are no defects or "glitches" in the data.

The DSD may have different mastering. If not, there ARE still differences in the "bits" but it's highly unlikely that there audible differences in a proper blind ABX test,

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where did you get that information, or have you done some comparisons yourself?
Metadata removal - I got it from the manager of the streaming site I use to publish previews of my music releases.

Gain changes - From Apple, YouTube, Spotify and others own documentation. Perhaps you've heard of the -14 integrated LUFS standard they have adopted...

Data compression - MP3 and various other compression types as used by Sirius satellite radio and no-frills Spotify, and judging from what I hear, quite a few others.

Once gain is changed or data compression is used, it is no longer 'bit-perfect' by any stretch of optimism.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing about this place; even the troll threads are informative.

threni

Major Contributor

Ignore everyone who says you are not wrong. The voltage is irrelevant - you're dealing with binary ones and zeros. You could print them onto paper and read back. Some people would say black dots are louder than grey dots. Ignore those people. As long as the bits get from a to b without issue they're identical, always.

goat76

Major Contributor
Metadata removal - I got it from the manager of the streaming site I use to publish previews of my music releases.

Gain changes - From Apple, YouTube, Spotify and others own documentation. Perhaps you've heard of the -14 integrated LUFS standard they have adopted...

Data compression - MP3 and various other compression types as used by Sirius satellite radio and no-frills Spotify, and judging from what I hear, quite a few others.

Once gain is changed or data compression is used, it is no longer 'bit-perfect' by any stretch of optimism.

Metadata removal - have no effect on sound quality.

The gain changes - that are done for normalization don't have any effect on sound quality as long as no "positive gain" is applied. The only one of the main music streaming sites that I know of that did that but has stopped doing it was Spotify.

Data compression - Yes, but OP is not talking about that. According to him: "A CD redbook player sound better than a Streamer at 44.1/16, or even DSD."

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd have to say it doesn't.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The OP is strangely absent from this conversation.

Top Bottom