• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D-6 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 90 30.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 64.4%

• Total voters

eyecent

Basic question …
How do you install it?
I use a Mac; does it require the DAC to be connected directly to a Windows PC?
I'm sorry. I don't know much about it. I only have a Windows desktop and an Android phone.

Greyfox

Any idea if it's a fix for the click problem?

Anyone using this dac with LG tvs on optical input? It is locking the signal? It doesn't seem to have the dpll settings like other smsl dacs.
Hello!

What do you experience exactly with LG tv+ this dac?

I'm asking, because I was considering to order D6, since I had issues with ESS chip DACS paried with LG tv optical out (random skips in the sound).
Tried to replace the cable, changing the settings, but no luck.
My previous dac was smsl su-8 (ESS) which did not had DPLL setting implemented, so I had to sell it.
Now I have to find either an ESS Dac with DPLL, or AKM. (DPLL is an ESS specific setting, AKM does not have option like that)

But seeing your complaint with this AKM DAC, maybe I should go for SU-6 with ESS+DPLL adjustment option.
Sad, SU-6 does not have the volume knob :(

ceausuc

Hello!

What do you experience exactly with LG tv+ this dac?

I'm asking, because I was considering to order D6, since I had issues with ESS chip DACS paried with LG tv optical out (random skips in the sound).
Tried to replace the cable, changing the settings, but no luck.
My previous dac was smsl su-8 (ESS) which did not had DPLL setting implemented, so I had to sell it.
Now I have to find either an ESS Dac with DPLL, or AKM. (DPLL is an ESS specific setting, AKM does not have option like that)

But seeing your complaint with this AKM DAC, maybe I should go for SU-6 with ESS+DPLL adjustment option.
Sad, SU-6 does not have the volume knob :(

No complaints from me... I don't have this dac, it's on my wish list :) This is the reason why I'm asking if anyone is using it with tv's on optical input. I don't want to sell it right after because it will drop the signal.
Thanks for clarifying the DPLL setting

Greyfox

No complaints from me... I don't have this dac, it's on my wish list :) This is the reason why I'm asking if anyone is using it with tv's on optical input. I don't want to sell it right after because it will drop the signal.
Thanks for clarifying the DPLL setting
Oh, sorry for the missunderstanding :)
As far as I know ESS is more sensitive on poor signal, that's why DPLL adjustment was implemented.
Since this DAC is AKM, I would not expect this issue but it would be really glad if someone could do a test for us if he owns an LG oled + D6 :)
Too bad LG ships a great tv with poor digital out. :/

drake5000

Do you have the popping issues when changing sample rates to the DO100?
I just got DO100 and I can confirm it skips around 0,5 sec of audio when changing sample rates.
Comparison to some other devices that I own:
SMSL Sanskrit mk.II (AKM) - smooth switching
Solid State Logic SSL2+ (AKM) - smooth switching
MOTU M4 (ESS) - skips around 1 sec of audio and actually overall terrible in terms of using different sample rates

Which makes me wondering if ESS chips in general struggle to switch sample rates smoothly

Actually I have a lot of other complaints about DO100. Now I’m editing videos where I reproduce these issues for other people to decide if it’s worth to invest in this DAC. I’ll post them in respective thread. Sorry for the off-topic

rentaclaus

Basic question …
How do you install it?
I use a Mac; does it require the DAC to be connected directly to a Windows PC?
Sorry to say (I use Linux). It requires Windows (10 should be ok). I just updated mine and it went flawless follwing the description from the supplied PDF. What has changed ? I can't tell. There is no change-log.
I use it as USB-DAC in Direct-Mode for my Linux-PC, and via optical for my Sony UBP-X700 BluRay. Both attached to old (> 25years) Naim Nac62/Nap90 with some KEF's (HTS2001) for good old stereo.
And everything sounds better than ever before ...

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry to say (I use Linux). It requires Windows (10 should be ok). I just updated mine and it went flawless follwing the description from the supplied PDF. What has changed ? I can't tell. There is no change-log.
I use it as USB-DAC in Direct-Mode for my Linux-PC, and via optical for my Sony UBP-X700 BluRay. Both attached to old (> 25years) Naim Nac62/Nap90 with some KEF's (HTS2001) for good old stereo.
And everything sounds better than ever before ...

Are you able to test if the playback startup lag for BT is gone?

rentaclaus

Are you able to test if the playback startup lag for BT is gone?
Connected my Notebook with Bluetooth and Ubuntu 22.04 to the D6. Songs played by youtube start immediately, can't detect any delay.
But I never tried before if it was there ...

NotAnAudiophile

Anyone using this dac with LG tvs on optical input? It is locking the signal? It doesn't seem to have the dpll settings like other smsl dacs.

I can confirm it works fine with LG C2, but only with optical out + tv speakers. I don't know if this is a pass-through setting, but it still sounds great while watching movies. The C2 makes an unpleasant sound with output to optical only. I was having the same problem with the Loxjie a30 (ESS sabre chip).

Howie Dern

I've been emailing back and forth with Shenzhen Audio about this clicking problem. They sent me a firmware upgrade and instructions. The upgrade seems to be the same as can be downloaded from the link given earlier. This did not solve the clicking problem. Next they sent me a new D-6. Same issue. I am using an RPi with Volumio and streaming Tidal HiFi with USB input to the D-6. Always 44.1/16 and no changes in bit rate from track to track. If I play an album or playlist there are no clicks between tracks. Clicks always occur when I manually play a track or change tracks by hitting the jump forward/back buttons.

Before the D-6 I was using a Modi 3+. No clicks. But I wanted the additional features of the D-6 and I got the D-6 during a sale on Amazon. To get the same features now in another DAC I'll need to pay something like $50 more so I'm holding off hoping they come up with a real fix.

Shenzhen Audio has offered to give me an SU-6 for the same price I paid during the D-6 on sale but I heard it also has clicking (and no balanced out). Anyone know if the SU-6 really has the same clicking problem?

carlcamper

I've been emailing back and forth with Shenzhen Audio about this clicking problem. They sent me a firmware upgrade and instructions. The upgrade seems to be the same as can be downloaded from the link given earlier. This did not solve the clicking problem. Next they sent me a new D-6. Same issue. I am using an RPi with Volumio and streaming Tidal HiFi with USB input to the D-6. Always 44.1/16 and no changes in bit rate from track to track. If I play an album or playlist there are no clicks between tracks. Clicks always occur when I manually play a track or change tracks by hitting the jump forward/back buttons.

Before the D-6 I was using a Modi 3+. No clicks. But I wanted the additional features of the D-6 and I got the D-6 during a sale on Amazon. To get the same features now in another DAC I'll need to pay something like $50 more so I'm holding off hoping they come up with a real fix.

Shenzhen Audio has offered to give me an SU-6 for the same price I paid during the D-6 on sale but I heard it also has clicking (and no balanced out). Anyone know if the SU-6 really has the same clicking problem?
Have you tried this workaround for Windows? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...os-driver-settings-for-no-cutoff-delay.25838/

Top Bottom