• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on 7.4.6 Home Theatre Build

tomruer

Hi all been a long time lurker here.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to decide what to buy for my build. 50% tv shows, 40% movies, 10% NBA.

I have an empty 4.4 x 9 x 2.4m room.

Plan to put a 130inch acoustically transparent screen with speakers behind it + a LS12000 projector, and single row of seats ~5m from screen.

Initial speaker plan is
- 3x KEF R3 for LCR
- 2x KF92 for sub
- 4x KEF Q350 for surround/rear
- 6 atmos speakers (already have some unknown brand that came with the house but will upgrade in time)
- MRX 1140

I'm worried that even after spending a bunch of cash this won't sound good, tempted to buy some genelecs and slowly build that way.

Unfortunately I live in New Zealand so everything is overpriced especially with current freight costs.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post - I like the objective/measured approach of this community!

Ciobi69

take real pro cinema speakers like the jbl series, or QSC 1120, cheaper and way more performant for what you need

OP
T

tomruer

take real pro cinema speakers like the jbl series, or QSC 1120, cheaper and way more performant for what you need

1669327041124.png

If I go 7.2.4 with 7x KEF R3 / as above --> costs 16.2k USD here

JBL 708 is way more expensive than R3 for me (3133 USD vs 908 USD each)

I'm open to suggestions just trying to get best value for money around this price (willing go pay more if substantial improvement in experience)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you considered in-wall architectural speakers? I'm not sure if they are a better value where you live or how much construction you are doing but it's definitely a cleaner setup that doesn't take up any space in your room.

OP
T

tomruer

Have you considered in-wall architectural speakers? I'm not sure if they are a better value where you live or how much construction you are doing but it's definitely a cleaner setup that doesn't take up any space in your room.

I have but my understanding was they are less performant?/less cost effective?

My primary goal is the experience and not room aesthetics

Part of me wants to shaft the whole thing and buy 2x genelec 8361a + a sub :p

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
KEF subs are fairly overpriced, you get a lot better performance per dollar with physically larger models. A pair of SVS PB-1000 Pro would my recommendation for that room size.

Make sure you leave a good chunk of the budget for acoustic treatment. Being able to manage your room modes and decay times will dramatically improve sound quality in a way that buying better speakers never can.

The cookie cutter formula I recommend for beginners is 10" or thicker bass traps for each corner, 4" absorption on the ceiling, and 6" on the side and rear walls. If the speakers are free-standing rather than flush mounted, I would also place 4" absorption between each speaker and the walls. Fairly easy to DIY, which helps a lot with freight costs. For the wall/ceiling absorption, about 15% coverage is a good place to start.

Top Bottom