• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Sundara Review (headphone)

Music1969

Major Contributor
A simple 3 band EQ, only EQ'ing bass, linear extension

1667999404940.png

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
SoundGuys B&K 5128 measurement seemed to also show bass is really only major "issue"

Also dips from 60Hz down - like Crinacle GRAS 43ag measurement

1667998208722.png

Chris Kelly

Even though the original review in post #1 was from 2021, is it for the 2018 or 2020 build?

Georgeadv

Guys do you believe that arya stealth is worth it over sundara considering the price difference?

I can get arya at 1350 and sundara at 300

mediocrebutarrogant

Hey Guys, I am using Amir's Sundara EQ on Roon, and living the high life! Sundys shaking and grooving now!! ha ha , earlier they were pretty pretty, now they are like black magic woman! Now im a noob at EQ , wondering how i can do the oratory EQ on Roon Just to try out what thats gonna sound like. I tried windows APO Peace GUI , but Roon , over Mac, on USB wired to my DAC, with EQ, is pretty much end game. Thanks Amir for the lovely 3 band EQ, that just make me cans rock! Now if one of you lovely peeps can give the oratory EQ done on Roon, just to see what difference that is, it would be brilliant!

Music1969

Major Contributor
Very simple 4-band EQ here.
Do try it ! It tackles the main issues we seen in Amir, oratory and crinacle measurements.

Preamp: -11.5 dB Filter 1: ON LSQ Fc 30 Hz Gain 8.0 dB Q 0.71 Filter 2: ON PK Fc 55 Hz Gain -1.50 dB Q 1.50 Filter 3: ON LSQ Fc 60 Hz Gain 5.00 dB Q 0.71 Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2100 Hz Gain 2.50 dB Q 1.50

antanast

Completely new to this, but what would be "better" or the difference between using the suggested EQ settings vs. the sundara autoeq profile?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Completely new to this, but what would be "better" or the difference between using the suggested EQ settings vs. the sundara autoeq profile?
There's no strictly better option, because of unit variation.
If you want optimal EQ settings, you have to A/B them all
So Amir, oratory, Crinacle, Resolve, Sean Olive, 0dB, etc.
Just gotta try them all to find the best for your Sundara and your ears.
Alternatively you can of course tune the EQ by ear.

antanast

There's no strictly better option, because of unit variation.
If you want optimal EQ settings, you have to A/B them all
So Amir, oratory, Crinacle, Resolve, Sean Olive, 0dB, etc.
Just gotta try them all to find the best for your Sundara and your ears.
Alternatively you can of course tune the EQ by ear.
What about the manual EQ settings mentioned at the beginning of the thread?

threni

Major Contributor
What about the manual EQ settings mentioned at the beginning of the thread?
That's the "Amir" in the post you're replying to!

threni

Major Contributor
From @sweetchaos

But for the 31Bands I don't find anything about filters to add. Im using eqMac
Amir has used peak and shelf parametric EQ. I've never heard of eqMac but a quick glance at their website tells me you need their "Expert Equalizer" to apply this.

antanast

Amir has used peak and shelf parametric EQ. I've never heard of eqMac but a quick glance at their website tells me you need their "Expert Equalizer" to apply this.
Yes that's what I am using:

1669313999139.png

But I am not sure about what you mean by peak and shelf. Is there something to do in addition to the above?

threni

Major Contributor
Yes that's what I am using:

View attachment 245780

But I am not sure about what you mean by peak and shelf. Is there something to do in addition to the above?
That looks like you've set about a million values. You only need to set 3 or 4 normally! But I'd guess, if you clicked the little green curve above each frequency (20hz for example) it might let you choose peak, shelf etc. And it looks like the values at the bottom, generally 0.5 in your screenshot, are your q values which need to be correct too. Is there not a video/instructions about this on their site? It's going to be easier to adjust other people's EQ to your taste if you're more comfortable with the tools.

Top Bottom