• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I Changed Astronomy Forever. He Won the Nobel Prize for It

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Women are still under-represented and their work under-appreciated in the sciences. Not only has Jocelyn Bell done excellent work in astrophysics, but donating a multimillion dollar prize to set up a scholarship fund to help others speaks volumes about her character as a person.
Women ( along with other non white male goups)are under represented in every aspect of leadership, be it science, business, or politics... It needs to change...

Ra1zel

Big brother Google says 13% of audience is female! So better than expected and what I have seen in managing another forum.
That's really interesting, are women more interested in objective audio than subjective audio? So many questions

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Thanks for the chart, Ray. Really. My birthdate and the blue line cross at ... my current age exactly. See you later ... I hope.

I'm 69.

Social Security has a calculator, I get another 15 years.

Or a table, where I have a 0.020847 chance of dying during the next year.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Women ( along with other non white male goups)are under represented in every aspect of leadership, be it science, business, or politics... It needs to change...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
According to this chart...

If it is supposed to be used with the birth year - 1868 - the life expectancy was around 39 years.

In 1920, it had increased to 53 years, her age at death in 1921.

View attachment 245593f

I think the figure there in 1920 has been adversely impacted by 20million deaths from WW1. Probably should have been about 57 apart from that.

EDIT - ignore that, if those are USA figures, not sure WW1 had that big an impact. Interesting that life expetancy dropped for that 5 years though.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the figure there in 1920 has been adversely impacted by 20million deaths from WW1. Probably should have been about 57 apart from that.

EDIT - ignore that, if those are USA figures, not sure WW1 had that big an impact. Interesting that life expetancy dropped for that 5 years though.

The 1918 influenza epidemic affected life expectancy at birth in the United States, with the measure for each sex dropping by 11.8 years from 1917 to 1918.2 There was no lasting effect on e(0) values, however, as survivorship for both sexes rebounded quickly; indeed, e(0) for both sexes was greater in 1919 than in 1917.3

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah saw that a while back....men can be embarassing to fellow men.

tw 2022

Maybe the spanish flu..

tw 2022

Based on what members self indicate, female count is about 5.6%.
It's a shame it isn't higher.. There's probably a lot of women audio hobbyists by proxy because of S.O. audio interest...

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Men are often awful. Women are too, though perhaps slightly less often.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Men have a lot more practice at being arrogant &entitled... Women may catch them someday, but it won't be anytime soon...
We even have a term for entitled women: Karens.

Nah, people are just often ******.

Rip City Dave

This thread makes me think of the great Vera Rubin, who studied the rotations of galaxies and laid the groundwork that led to dark matter, which completely upended modern astrophysics.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. Reminds me of Rosalind Franklin whose import work to detect the structure of DNA was ignored as well when the Noble price went to Crick, Watson and Wilkins.
Yes, Rosalind Franklin was very much in my thoughts when I made that post, but she had tragically died at a young age before that Nobel was awarded. There's no doubt that her contribution was downplayed by some concerned. Whether she'd have shared in the prize if she'd lived longer is a moot point.
Was just about to bring up Rosalind Franklin too.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Female listeners also prefer 1dB less bass and 2dB less treble than male listeners, according to Harman research.

gags11

Forum Donor
Based on what members self indicate, female count is about 5.6%.

That sucks….

If women were interested in these kind of fields 50/50, they would dominate the field. Just saying…

Top Bottom