• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
in French "café expresso" means coffee fast made in a small cup. Maxi 10 seconds....

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Final follow up on the state of my Sylvia post DIY servicing:
In general the machine is absolutely running better. My biggest complaint previously was a commonly recurring inconsistency in shot timing and yield,
At this point, I can say that performance in this area has improved significantly. While I do see a few inconsistencies, they are more to the tune of what I experienced running a Linea in a commercial setting than what I was previously experiencing on my home machine.
I find that I still need to run a Blank Flush prior to pulling shots; this seems to help the first shot pull more in line with expected parameters. I can only guess then that there is still something amiss in the greater system. Yet after that blank flush, the inconsistency is within a gram or two and 3-4 sec, rather than being off by 6g or some such and 8-10 sec.

My shot times and yield are almost back to my preferred parameter of 14g in 30 sec. If anything, the adjustments to the system are leaning towards a better experience of getting 12g in 32 sec.
Regardless, I can pull 3 shots in a row, now, which are almost identical in time and yield; something I could not say before servicing the machine.

I still find the most interesting aspect of this was that prior to changing my shower screen, these issues were less noticeable. Once that shower screen changed, the "tolerance" issues in the overall system were much more visible and profound.

I will likely still look at taking the Solenoid out and cleaning it sometime around the holidays when I will have a bit more free time. Dunno if that will result in any further changes, but it would be nice to figure out why running a Blank Flush prior to pulling my first shot improves consistency.

Cheers, all!

gvl

Major Contributor
My old Breville finally went FUBAR and I broke down and bought a Lelit espresso machine and got into home bean roasting. It’s fun and coffee tastes much better now even from a budget recreational roaster. Have been buying all sorts of different beans and experimenting with roasting.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
My old Breville finally went FUBAR and I broke down and bought a Lelit espresso machine and got into home bean roasting. It’s fun and coffee tastes much better now even from a budget recreational roaster. Have been buying all sorts of different beans and experimenting with roasting.
Which machine did you buy?

pau

29f63915bcccfd916bdeecd756b010f3.jpg

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Capture d’écran 2022-11-18 à 17.19.17.png

The GAGGIA classic is the best coffee machine to make a real espresso at home... AMAZON price +-$500
You'll get the best coffee beans directly from a roaster.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
View attachment 244204
The GAGGIA classic is the best coffee machine to make a real espresso at home... AMAZON price +-$500
You'll get the best coffee beans directly from a roaster.
Strongly disagree with this. I found it a real bear to use.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Yep, sent mine back as it was hopeless. They are good if you change lots of parts, and tune the existing ones.
I had one for two months and went "forget this, I'm buying something better" - ended up going for a Breville Dual Boiler. Eventually sold that, got a Lelit MaraX, sold that, currently have a Rancilio Silvia Pro.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I've had GAGGIA classic for a year or so now. I did the 9 bar spring modification, bought a bottomless portafilter and a couple of nicer baskets and I'm very happy with the results.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...I could go on a personal rant/crusade about how we have completely destroyed the meanings of words and their definitions in the coffee world. But I will spare everyone that. ;) What I learned as a Double Ristretto was loosely a Double Ristretto by proper definition. Ultimately, I loved the flavor and qualities of what those baristas were doing and so I adopted it for myself.
:)
Crusade ranting is a noble cause!

I had done some investigative research, when I found out that StarBucks became capable of pulling Ristretto shots from their newer machines (about a decade ago, or so...?)
At the time, I hadn't a clue what Ristretto shot really entailed and what its claim to name was about.
So, I asked and asked and asked again. Each answer by the *$'s baristas was different.
Needing to dig a bit deeper to get a confirmation as to wtf a Ristretto shot really was; I did a web deep-dive, for an answer: Different source(s) but the same misinformation.
So: To complete my investigative polling with additional data points; I'll ask you for your definition of what makes "Ristretto" different than a regular espresso shot.
Not that your expert Barista definition is going to change what my tongue' papillae are telling me but...:D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's an incredibly smooth taste this way and none of the bitterness. Probably some of the best coffee I've ever had.
It may be the best coffee you've ever had and that it is incredibly smooth tasting but... I really wish that I did not have to challenge you about that bold statement!:(
Where exactly do you think the bitterness disappeared to? << Certainly it did not evaporate :: So? Where did it go?
My question is not really directed AT you but I lack scientific data (in an understandable English) how some make/say those words "lack of bitterness".
The same beans make a very different cup of coffee in the Moka pot than in the Espresso machine so it makes for a nice alternative on occassion.
So, can the Moka-pot yield really be called "espresso"?
Would it be easy for you to cite some of those differences [<<pretending you are the Hoffmann dude w/o the hand gestures]

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
So, can the Moka-pot yield really be called "espresso"?
No, not really. Moka pots brew at much lower pressure (~1 bar or less) and much larger ratios (ballpark 1:10 vs typical espresso 1:2-1:2.5).

A Cute Earring

…and Moka pots don’t produce the créma layer. At least not when I do it. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoy a demitasse of Moka “espresso”.

Top Bottom