• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Paris Audio Video Show 2022

sq225917

Major Contributor
The general idea is that the coils themselves are vertically aligned. If that make a difference in actual phase alignment, not sure.

Isn't it the acoustic centres of the drivers that are aligned, with consideration given to XO slope as well.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Does that make sense? Doesn't it make much more sense to adjust the entire area continuously via DSP? For example, Dirac also corrects in the time domain.
I think that the speakers we see with this config are passive speakers with analog Xover.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Isn't it the acoustic centres of the drivers that are aligned, with consideration given to XO slope as well.
You appear to know better than me, not sure, I always tought a cross over slope was an amplitude describer, but obviously any analog filters have a phase shift as well but I am not fully sure what you mean, I would think that time domain adjustment would be relative to the linear zone of the driver, not where it's filtered out, but I am no speaker designer, was just stating the main rationale that we hear from manufacturers of this design.

lordhumungous

You don't see power conditioners even though the audio and computer equipment is drawing power from an electrical distribution line(s) in a busy hotel and conference center. There is presumably zero credibility for power conditioners among the audio professionals. If PSB had a display did they show a power conditioner? It looks like these days that the gold standard for signal source is digital and not turntable analogue.
I take offense to this ! I need a power conditioner for the extra outlets!

Multicore

Major Contributor
They would probably get away with charging, judging by the number of people I see in the giant glass Apple box at our local shopping centre.

View attachment 245406
Our local in Boston is literally made out of glass. Walls, floors, ceilings, even the spiral staircase. It's hilarious.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Our local in Boston is literally made out of glass. Walls, floors, ceilings, even the spiral staircase. It's hilarious.

That's funny. I'll have to find a pic of it. Is it this thing?

1669161720557.png

Multicore

Major Contributor
That's funny. I'll have to find a pic of it. Is it this thing?

View attachment 245431
I think so. That photo doesn't show the exterior glass walls. Shortly after it opened they had to glue some opaque material to the steps you see here because, well, some people wear skirts.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
About acoustic centers of the voicecoils aligned.
In the past, Athom tower speakers had the tweeter voice coil aligned with the midrange voice coil using an additional delay cell in the passive crossover.
Clarity of the high frequencies was stunning.
I do not know if they are still using this technology.
Does somebody listen to Athom passive tower speakers recently?

Waxx

Major Contributor
About acoustic centers of the voicecoils aligned.
In the past, Athom tower speakers had the tweeter voice coil aligned with the midrange voice coil using an additional delay cell in the passive crossover.
Clarity of the high frequencies was stunning.
I do not know if they are still using this technology.
Does somebody listen to Athom passive tower speakers recently?
These days there are ways to calculate that in the crossover if the distance is not that big, so the drivers are in phase. It's complicated math that is not so easy to do manual, but crossover simulation software like xsim and virtuixcad have it in their modelling including and the distances are called driver offset. And if you measure your drivers right, you can even have it included in the measurments, so you don't have to declare the "driver offset", just make sure your drivers are in phase at the crossover point when simulating it in those software and it should be right (If your measurments are right).

And because of that, physical offset of drivers is hardly done anymore with passive loudspeaker designs.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One would need right angle connectors...

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed but it has, so far, been impossible to find any good ones. (I solved the problem by changing speakers. :))
You replaced the Studio2s with what?

- Rich

Top Bottom