• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Effect of Cannabis use on hearing

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Considering Cannabis is technically a hallucinogen (along with both stimulant and depressant effects), It is absolutely no wonder to me that music can be quite an amazing treat. ;)
I can say a long while back I experienced full on auditory hallucinations after eating what was supposed to be a "safe dose." I've had conversations with many that have experienced strong visual hallucinations, but those are all hearsay.
Regardless, most of those effects are very mild unless one subjects themselves to a very strong dose... what one may call being "in touch with god..." For most of us mortals, the effects like this dull and become distant (often fond) memories from the first year or two of experimentation. (Anybody remember being "hung-over" with that Indo-Cloud the next day? Detached somewhat from reality and everything has a nice sparkle to it? ;) )
While I wouldn't argue that cannabis brings out a skilled artistic expression, it definitely alters the perception, or speed, of ones mind. Artistic energies are pronounced, for certain, and less skilled artistic expression can definitely be stimulated.
I know from my time playing Sax, getting high and blowing was fun... but seldom productive. On the other hand, there was a strain many years back that was purportedly inspired by Willie Nelson's famous love of Cannabis: He wanted the energetic and creative qualities of a Sativa but without the edginess and anxiety that can also be associated traits of a Sativa high. If what I got to sample was "authentic," it was pretty cool stuff.

Regardless, there was certainly a time back in college when I could sit down and "trip out" to whatever I was listening to. Was that Cannabis making me appreciate music on a deeper level? Allowing me to hear things I didn't, or couldn't, otherwise hear? Or was it the effect of having my perceptions altered, having my brain switch gears and experience sound in a way that was filtered differently than normal... or perhaps not filtered at all.

~~~//~~~

I will say that sometimes I miss those days. Other times not. Mostly I'm indifferent to it. While I have easy access if I choose, many times I find myself not even looking toward that path.
I am, however, a firm proponent for complete decriminalization, and while absolute legalization should be on the table, I also recognize that some sort of regulatory shackle will be applied. Frankly, it is far less dangerous than Alcohol and Nicotine. It would be nice if the negative stigma Cannabis has been saddled with could be dropped once and for all and those people open up to the idea of it. Don't have to do it, just accept it is here and not going away.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I live in the promised land of California, they are opening a cannabis shop about 150 meters from where I sit and type this. You can have a year's worth of "good stuff" delivered to your house for a low amount of money, enough to buy a well-measuring but maybe not full-featured or reliable DAC. You can walk up and down the street smoking your lungs out, and nobody will bat an eye, including the cops. And yes, I do partake... but not marching up and down the street.

If you want my political views on the matter: I would say given the very obvious problems SF has with drugs, and how easy it is to get cannabis here, and how commonly and openly people use it... cannabis is not a drug we should bother banning. The problem drugs like meth and fentanyl cause serious, obvious problems. The cannabis causes people to overspend on getting pizza from Doordash. Far from the first to say it, but you're better off banning beer than weed.

Here's how it hits me with regard to music: I think it enhances your listening tendencies, maybe not abilities. If you have too much, it can really distort perception. I sometimes find myself noticing rather distinct periodic sounds and tones in pink noise-like sources like running water. In those cases, I'm not always sure if I'm hearing a subtle acoustic resonance that normally escapes notice... or just hearing things. It is similar with music. With a little bit, it helps you focus on and get into the song emotionally. With a lot, it shifts your focus and confidence in what you're hearing to the point that you either end up hyper-focusing on a very subtle trait of the music, or you perhaps invent something entirely. When I put it that way, maybe that's how it works when people spend $20K on cables... well, let me tell you people - weed is way cheaper.

Either way I do think it makes listening to music more interesting, but as ever, it is impossible to say based on personal anecdote if it makes our perceptions more accurate, more sensitive, or just different.

Ported

Smoking weed is definitely not the best intervention for engineering | mixing .. but potentially very useful for the initial music creative process and potentially some sonic manipulations.
I would find it a bit like using headphones... It all sounds pretty damn good so there is no sense changing it (added lazyness too).
I have produced many a mix at the end of a session under the influence that seemed absolutely amazing until the next day sober when all of a sudden it was flat, undynamic and dull!
To my mind it's part of the ingredients of a good mix is to demonstrate to any state of consciousness what a good recording you've made.

Even now to me just about all recordings sound better and are easier to get involved in after just one cookie.. and your gear sounds better too!

threni

Major Contributor
A few years ago people running a Cannabis cafe in Amsterdam applied for and were granted a licence to open a radio station. Lasted a couple of days, their sense of perception certainly wasn’t enhanced. They were too stoned to operate the equipment. So if I’m more than a bit sceptical about some of you claiming it enhances your listening experience.
People say alcohol is supposed to be relaxing but I read about some guy who got drunk, drove his car and killed someone - that's not very relaxing.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
People say alcohol is supposed to be relaxing but I read about some guy who got drunk, drove his car and killed someone - that's not very relaxing.
Alcohol and Cannabis are both open to misuse and the misuse of alcohol is a bigger problem than the misuse of Cannabis. Will this change in places like California where the use of Cannabis is growing? Think I’ll stick with the Prophet Muhammad on this one he banned alcohol because it took away many mens’ sense of reason. Both can lead to serious health problems in societies were Cannabis has been in widespread use for many years, there are serious problems with Schizophrenia. Had many friends using either and often both. When you saw them going over the top they always said “Don’t worry I can handle it.” Unfortunately for many they couldn’t.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Marijuana allows you to get to know yourself? Lol

peanuts2

cannabis is not physically addictive like most other substances, yes you might want it and get annoyed when you don have it, but your body doesnt care if you stop except having some trouble sleeping.
i find it funny when people sit there and empty beer after beer then starts to talk about cannabis "looser drug addicts" etc. alcohol is way worse in every way than cannabis.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
cannabis is not physically addictive like most other substances, yes you might want it and get annoyed when you don have it, but your body doesnt care if you stop except having some trouble sleeping.
i find it funny when people sit there and empty beer after beer then starts to talk about cannabis "looser drug addicts" etc. alcohol is way worse in every way than cannabis.
Having seen friends who ruined their brain from alcoholism, I have to agree. Some pothead friends act pretty dubious, but the ones that quit seem fine in a few months.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Having seen friends who ruined their brain from alcoholism, I have to agree. Some pothead friends act pretty dubious, but the ones that quit seem fine in a few months.
Alcohol suppresses inhibitions including inhibition against being violent. If you look at the people who are in an advanced stage of addiction to alcohol or cannabis. The picture changes people in the late stages of alcoholism generally aren’t able to commit acts of violence. If a cannabis user becomes Schizophrenic then the damage they can do to themselves and others is far worse. When it comes to driving when impaired, then their altered judgement should preclude them from driving.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Alcohol suppresses inhibitions including inhibition against being violent. If you look at the people who are in an advanced stage of addiction to alcohol or cannabis. The picture changes people in the late stages of alcoholism generally aren’t able to commit acts of violence. If a cannabis user becomes Schizophrenic then the damage they can do to themselves and others is far worse. When it comes to driving when impaired, then their altered judgement should preclude them from driving.
While not denying the potential harms, I feel uncomfortable telling people they can't use drugs because someone somewhere had a bad reaction. It's really a matter for doctors, not law enforcement.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Dave? Dave's not here... No I'm Dave... lemme in... I got the stuff..."
Yeah, I feel dumb enough sometimes without further help from pot lol

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
While not denying the potential harms, I feel uncomfortable telling people they can't use drugs because someone somewhere had a bad reaction. It's really a matter for doctors, not law enforcement.
I live in a state where cannabis has been legal for the last 6 years. It's delivered to my door, no charge. I'm retired and smoke every day. I've been smoking for more than 50 years now. If it ever becomes a habit, I'll quit. Until then... carpe diem.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I live in a state where cannabis has been legal for the last 6 years. It's delivered to my door, no charge. I'm retired and smoke every day. I've been smoking for more than 50 years now. If it ever becomes a habit, I'll quit. Until then... carpe diem.
Fine with me. I know people who have used it for years with no problem. I just don't like what it does to me.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I work in a mental health jail with plenty of folks with substance induced psychosis. I do not think that cannabis has been demonstrated to cause schizophrenia. Clearly it can make it worse if a person already has it, or it can trigger psychotic episodes, but I imagine once people stop using it, the symptoms go away which would imply they do not have schizophrenia. Still, lots more research needed in this area. My mind is still open and if there is a causative link established, I will certainly be the first to admit it exists.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Yeah, I feel dumb enough sometimes without further help from pot lol
Since it's been legal, I've found that there are two strains... Indica and Sativa, which I never knew. Indica makes me stoned (stupid)... Sativa makes me high (motivated and able to focus). I know... subjective terms without showing my measurements. Does this mean that I have to start hanging out at Agon?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since it's been legal, I've found that there are two strains... Indica and Sativa, which I never knew. Indica makes me stoned (stupid)... Sativa makes me high (motivated and able to focus).
Since VA and MD have it available in stores now, I guess I could perform some experiments.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since it's been legal, I've found that there are two strains... Indica and Sativa, which I never knew. Indica makes me stoned (stupid)... Sativa makes me high (motivated and able to focus). I know... subjective terms without showing my measurements. Does this mean that I have to start hanging out at Agon?
Probably. You can get *pure* strains, but most of the stuff available in the new dispensaries is hopelessly intermixed. The primary reliable indicator of how you will react will be the THC/CBD ratio. If it’s high you will get the reaction you attribute to Sativa and if it is low you will get something more like the Indica.

I’ve never tried the allegedly still pure kush strains (my experience is quite limited in general), but I recall someone here professing expertise in that regard. My own hypothesis is that, beyond that basic chemical ratio, the effect descriptions are more like high end gear reviews in TAS.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Since VA and MD have it available in stores now, I guess I could perform some experiments.
As stated, I've been smoking since the '70s and had NO IDEA of different strains and effects. I don't smoke anything that makes me stupid, now that I know and can choose (even check measured levels of THC & CBD on each clearly labeled package... no SINAD though Understanding the label ). Go forth explorer... "… Gather your wits and hold on fast... Your mind must learn to roam..."

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I work in a mental health jail with plenty of folks with substance induced psychosis. I do not think that cannabis has been demonstrated to cause schizophrenia. Clearly it can make it worse if a person already has it, or it can trigger psychotic episodes, but I imagine once people stop using it, the symptoms go away which would imply they do not have schizophrenia. Still, lots more research needed in this area. My mind is still open and if there is a causative link established, I will certainly be the first to admit it exists.
There hasn’t been a causative link made between Cannabis use and Schizophrenia, hadn’t realised that! However there is some evidence that in societies were there is biggest use of Cannabis the incidence of Schizophrenia is much higher

Top Bottom