• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What lenses are you currently using?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it be rude to ask for pre/post comparo shots?:facepalm:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sony 16-50 SELP1650, NEX-7
_DSC1910.jpg

When on vacation, I have been known to enjoy a good hotel breakfast buffet. I may have refilled my plate a few times with a mixture of Korean and British-inspired items.

MAB

Major Contributor
I still shoot film. I have an old F3, but I use a 35ti often.
s-l1600.jpg

It isn't perfectly convenient to operate being an interesting blend of auto and manual, but if you get things right the 35mm f/2.8 lens is really fantastic. This was handheld, lying down, Fuji Velvia, and deep meditation.
1669171699362.jpeg

Another camera I got for so cheap, they seem much more expensive these days.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Who are you asking, and about which photos?
Sorry! I was asking @dualazmak about his beautiful photo of post #124
Since you sound like you are in answering mode :: Here is a question for you (but loaded, although sounding simple)
Is being able to detect "processing" more apparent with images (visual) or in audio?
The answer needs a whole bunch of quantifying before even comparing.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it be rude to ask for pre/post comparo shots?:facepalm:

OK, just one typical example case of rather colorful photo/image; Raw to Jpeg by Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 (DPP4).
Please note that the following two images are just screen captures during the DPP4 tuning of brightness, contrast, color balance, etc., for Raw to Jpeg processing.

WS00005056.JPG

WS00005055.JPG

The "pre" raw image:
IMG_1753_r5_rs_q7.JPG

The "post" best tuned image, processed into jpeg photo:
IMG_1753_r6_rs_q7.JPG

The visibility of pre-post difference greatly depends on your PC (or Mac?, or smartphone?) graphical environments, I believe.
(This is very similar to audibility of our fine audio tuning!)

At least in my case, I am very much satisfied with my present WISWIG/WYSWYG color matched/calibrated workflow throughout all of the;

(1) camera's monitor (EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark IV),

(2) DPP4 processing on my powerful stress-free PC workstation* (Windows 11 Pro 64 bit) with dual EIZO FlexScan EV2750 monitor,

(3) photo slideshow with Panasonic TH-55HZ1800 4K OLED TV (as PC monitor),

(4) large size printing on 100% cotton (acid-free) Velvet Fine Art Matte Paper (pigment ink),

as shared in my post #106.

(*DIY assembled quiet PC workstation: Intel Xeon [12-core, 24-thread]+NVIDIA GTX TITAN)

Last edited:
OP
Gorgonzola

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, just one typical example case of rather colorful photo/image; Raw to Jpeg by Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 (DPP4).
Please note that the following two images are just screen captures during the DPP4 tuning of brightness, contrast, color balance, etc., for Raw to Jpeg processing.

View attachment 245478

View attachment 245479

The "pre" raw image:
View attachment 245499

The "post" best tuned image, processed into jpeg photo:
View attachment 245502

The visibility of pre-post difference greatly depends on your PC (or Mac?, or smartphone?) graphical environments, I believe.
(This is very similar to audibility of our fine audio tuning!)

At least in my case, I am very much satisfied with my present WISWIG/WYSWYG color matched/calibrated workflow throughout all of the;

(1) camera's monitor (EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark IV),

(2) DPP4 processing on my powerful stress-free PC workstation* (Windows 11 Pro 64 bit) with dual EIZO FlexScan EV2750 monitor,

(3) photo slideshow with Panasonic TH-55HZ1800 4K OLED TV (as PC monitor),

(4) large size printing on 100% cotton (acid-free) Velvet Fine Art Matte Paper (pigment ink),

as shared in my post #106.

(*DIY assembled quiet PC workstation: Intel Xeon [12-core, 24-thread]+NVIDIA GTX TITAN)
This is all very impressive -- or perhaps I really mean mind-boggling.

I haven't dabbled with RAW capture, instead I just go JPEG. Without the sophisticated tools and expert knowledge I'm not sure I'm worse off.

Viewing you example picture on my basic 4K monitor I can see differences -- enhancements, that is certainly. Obvious to me are the more the Blue enhancement of the clouds and Green enhancement of the foreground grass.

I have attempted similar things starting with JPEG and working with far simpler tools. My favorite go-to for color enhancement is the gloriously simple Irfanview freeware editor. There I can make simple Brightness, Contrast, RGB, and Saturation adjustments with ease. Results, if not professionally superb, are usually very satisfying.

To site a simple example, these are before/after processing of a pic I took in Alaska in 2017; (Fuji X-10 with Fuji FX 18-55mm). I tweaked the color in Irfanview and made a highlight/shadow adjustment in Photoshop Elements, (as I recall) ...
Before =
Alaska_00570_HubbardGlacier.jpg

After, (I would have been better to try to keep more contrast on the background mountains) =
Alaska_HubbardGlacier.jpg

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although out of the scope of this thread, please allow me writing this.
The time here in Japan is 00:18 on Nov 24 Thursday.
Now I go to bed after Japan 2 : 1 Germany; it was really nice game!;)

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since you sound like you are in answering mode :: Here is a question for you (but loaded, although sounding simple)
Is being able to detect "processing" more apparent with images (visual) or in audio?
The answer needs a whole bunch of quantifying before even comparing.
I don't really know how to answer that.

But I do note that some very recent camera models offer crytographic signing of images, and I imagine it would be super useful for news agencies and others wanting unaltered documentary images.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/56582...-signature-technology-for-commercial-purposes

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After a few years of lens-swapping (Canon, then Sony + adapted Leica), I threw in the towel 3 years ago and went with a fixed lens camera - the Leica Q. Rarely miss the zoom. It's just so damn convenient to have one reasonably compact camera that takes excellent photos.
48834296543_55f6fbf79a_k.jpg

52376030713_4a5ab699e1_k.jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why carry a camera if you're only going to pick up a few groceries? Because.
Sony RX100.
_DSC2252 overview.jpg

_DSC2252 detail.jpg

Gary Ray certainly gave me something to marvel over. Had I seen him, I might have asked for a peek inside the cabin.

OP
Gorgonzola

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a Q and now use the Q2. Really amazing cameras.
The Leica Q2 looks like a really exquisite camera. Unfortunately it also has an exquisite price.

I'm a bit of a Fujifilm fan and also poor, so if I were looking for a compact fixed lens camera I'd probably opt for the Fujifilm X100V camera. It's APS-C versus full-frame and has 35 vs. 28mm equivalent lens. But it's <1/3 the cost of the Q2, only 2/3 the weight, and has built-in flash.

As it stands I'll make do with my Fuji X-T10 with the TTartisan 27mm f/2.8 "pancake" lens, a decently handy combination.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Is it a worthwhile upgrade you think?
For me, yes. I’d skip it if you don’t care about the resolution bump. I appreciate the extra pixels, especially since the 35/50mm modes are so nice to use. I also think video works a lot better if that matters to you. And it’s weather sealed. Usability/ergonomics are the same, except on the Q2 the sensor to switch from back screen to viewfinder is triggerhappy.

I'd probably opt for the Fujifilm X100V
My wife has an X100V. It’s a good camera, and so compact.

Fuji X-T10 with the TTartisan 27mm f/2.8 "pancake"
One of my favorite setups was a 6D and 40mm pancake. Still the best you can do for the money, IMO.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I got into the Sony mirrorless system a few years ago, I used a Leica Summarit 35mm f2.5 with an adapter. Manual focus using focus assist. This combination required some patience but the results were fabulous. The Summarit brings the Leica "character", especially wide open. Here is an example from Morocco.

12078108255_9fcd9ad065_k.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
l3.jpg

slit / split lens diopter . very hard doing it manual has to be tripod mounted but tried with rotating horizontally so lens cap be near focused but its hard with background near focused , which used few of the scenes had same lens effect

l1.jpg

Magic seeing if i'm professional or not lol

l2.jpg

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
I have way too many lenses, but recently trying to make more use of my Nikkor PC lenses, the 85/2.8 and 19/4. These are really spectacular, they are not point and shoot, and take some effort to get the most our of them, but very much worth it. Other than that I often find myself shooting a Zeiss 15/28 and 35/1.4 milvus, and I always seem to have my 105/2DC and 20/1.8G while out and about. I did have a moment to shoot both my Nikon 200/2VR and 600/4Dii lenses over the holidays, which brings immense joy. Oh yes, I also had a chance to shoot my old Nikkor 300/2.8AF! So I guess I’m getting around to shooting a bit, but still a lot of lenses under-utilized. I’ll have to rectify that in the coming year.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
My son's fun with PC Nikkors...

DSC_1029s.jpg

I love PC-Nikkors…I have the 19mm f4 and 85mm f2.8. Aside from the 200mm f2G and 200mm f4 micro-Nikkor, these are optically the best lenses I’ve ever used. My Zeiss glass (15mm/2.8 and 35mm/1.4 Milvus) is up there, too.

Top Bottom