• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best hifi buy vs top of the charts

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Thought I'd do a thread after the comments on the smsl dac that reminded me of a discussion after the minidsp flex. To be specific one on a chart about av interfaces, featuring both AVRs, dsp dacs and the likes of the Nad M33. I remember thinking: that's odd to place the minidsp flex on a chart with avrs.

But now, after a while, it makes total sense to me. Seeing so many dacs that are state of the art where Sinad is concerned, if I would advice someone who builds a new system I would advice them basically a system that contains room correction. Be it in the speakers, dac or streamer, but preferably in the first two because it can be applied to all sources.

It took me some time to realise this. But now that I do I cannot see myself buying or recommending anything else than Genelec, minidsp or an avr. I realise many of the products I would recommend are at the top of the charts, but some are not. AVRs for example have more features (like eq, hdmi and 5.1 speakers mirroring each other) that make them more a best buy for the best listening experience than a top of the list dac without dsp possibilities.

Basically I'm saying that room/speaker correction is the most important feature after well measuring speakers. I wonder how you guys look at this and what you make of the chart featuring all devices capable of dsp featuring both stereo and multichannel?

Last edited:

LugsyTL47

I totally agree. The miniDSP Flex might be the best piece of kit I ever purchased.
Thought I'd do a thread after the comments on the smsl dac that reminded me of a discussion after the minidsp flex. To be specific one on a chart about av interfaces, featuring both AVRs, dsp dacs and the likes of the Nad M33. I remember thinking: that's odd to place the minidsp flex on a chart with avrs.

But now, after a while, it makes total sense to me. Seeing so many dacs that are state of the art where Sinad is concerned, if I would advice someone who builds a new system I would advice them basically a system that contains room correction. Be it in the speakers, dac or streamer, but preferably in the first two because it can be applied to all sources.

It took me some time to realise this. But now that I do I cannot see myself buying or recommending anything else than Genelec, minidsp or an avr. I realise many of the products I would recommend are at the top of the charts, but some are not. AVRs for example have more features (like eq, hdmi and 5.1 speakers mirroring each other) that make them more a best buy for the best listening experience than a top of the list dac without dsp possibilities.

Basically I'm saying that room/speaker correction is the most important feature after well measuring speakers. I wonder how you guys look at this and what you make of the chart featuring all devices capable of dsp featuring both stereo and multichannel?
I ordered a miniDSp Flex and UMIK-1 ($1100 CAN) last week for my 2.1 setup, arrived yesterday ( haven’t opened). While waiting, I bought a Pioneer VSX-LX305 ($1500 CAN) with full Dirac Live on weekend to see how it improved my 2.1 setup with room acoustics. I need more time to understand Dirac and measure properly. Surround sound was not on “my list” but even with 2.1 setup, movies and football were very enjoyable.

I have to agree that the Pioneer AVR has so many features, well integrated menus and is great value. Likely if measured by Amir will not score as SOTA vs miniDSP Flex but that’s on paper. I‘m sending miniDSP Flex back. The Pioneer wins this round for me.

LugsyTL47

I ordered a miniDSp Flex and UMIK-1 ($1100 CAN) last week for my 2.1 setup, arrived yesterday ( haven’t opened). While waiting, I bought a Pioneer VSX-LX305 ($1500 CAN) with full Dirac Live on weekend to see how it improved my 2.1 setup with room acoustics. I need more time to understand Dirac and measure properly. Surround sound was not on “my list” but even with 2.1 setup, movies and football were very enjoyable.

I have to agree that the Pioneer AVR has so many features, well integrated menus and is great value. Likely if measured by Amir will not score as SOTA vs miniDSP Flex but that’s on paper. I‘m sending miniDSP Flex back. The Pioneer wins this round for me.
Edit: I took back the Pioneer VSX-LX305. Found twin sibling, a slightly used Onkyo TX-NR7100 for ~half cost of Pioneer.

Top Bottom