• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEPower 125ASX2 Class D Amplifier Review

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
FYI, icepower.dk now has a bunch of stuff back in stock including the 125asx2 ($200 for single, $121 if you buy 20), probably makes sense just to go with a prefab option unless you are buying a carton. About to buy a carton of the 300A2 modules myself.

Michael
Hey Micheal - may I ask how you plan to power the 300A2 modules?

Yesterday, I ordered a pair with the intention to run each as single channel with separate PSUs. At the moment I am leaning towards Micro Audio's SMPS630-G which offers +-55 VDC / +-12 VDC / +15 VDR as an option. Total cost to my door would be $295. I looked into Connex and sent them an email, but never got a response. On the other hand, Sami with Micro Audio, hit me back within the day and answered all of my questions. Point one for Micro Audio.

There are a handful of seemingly capable and adequate SMPSs on eBay and AliExpress for a 1/3rd of the cost, but in my situation, I rather error on the side of caution in regards to quality of build, etc.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am waiting for the IcePower 1500S power supply to come back in stock, kicking myself for not placing the order sooner when they were in stock. Plan is to use 5 modules, 2 bridged for subs and then 3 in stereo for woofer / mid / tweeter.

Thanks for the tip on Micro Audio, will need to take a look. One thing I don't like about the 1500S is the rather large size and I would actually kind of prefer 2 separate amp enclosures. The voltages on the 1500S are also a little weird in that it has a +/- 7 V auxiliary, from the 300A2 manual it is somewhat unclear if this is supposed to be used with VDD/VSS (normal operating range shown as +/- 11-14 V, but maximum range shown as +/- 7-17 V) or if it is supposed to be regulated down to supply DVDD/DVSS. I asked IcePower and got no response.

Michael

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
I am waiting for the IcePower 1500S power supply to come back in stock, kicking myself for not placing the order sooner when they were in stock. Plan is to use 5 modules, 2 bridged for subs and then 3 in stereo for woofer / mid / tweeter.

Thanks for the tip on Micro Audio, will need to take a look. One thing I don't like about the 1500S is the rather large size and I would actually kind of prefer 2 separate amp enclosures. The voltages on the 1500S are also a little weird in that it has a +/- 7 V auxiliary, from the 300A2 manual it is somewhat unclear if this is supposed to be used with VDD/VSS (normal operating range shown as +/- 11-14 V, but maximum range shown as +/- 7-17 V) or if it is supposed to be regulated down to supply DVDD/DVSS. I asked IcePower and got no response.

Michael
Did you already receive the amps? If so, how long did it take for you to receive your order?

I've got a half-rack set up, so I ordered an enclosure that measures 3U 8.5" x 8". After doing a scale mock up, it became apparent that mono blocks wouldn't work as the SMPS is too big. So I have decided to place the SMPSs tucked below and inside the steel walled base for my half-rack. Whereas the amps will be together in the 3U enclosure that will be fixed to the rails. I'll run the AC line into the base unit and the DC lines from the base to the 3U unit. Worked great with Meanwells and a A04/A07 setup.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you already receive the amps? If so, how long did it take for you to receive your order?

I've got a half-rack set up, so I ordered an enclosure that measures 3U 8.5" x 8". After doing a scale mock up, it became apparent that mono blocks wouldn't work as the SMPS is too big. So I have decided to place the SMPSs tucked below and inside the steel walled base for my half-rack. Whereas the amps will be together in the 3U enclosure that will be fixed to the rails. I'll run the AC line into the base unit and the DC lines from the base to the 3U unit. Worked great with Meanwells and a A04/A07 setup.

I did not order, after I posted saying I was going to order I found out I will be moving for work in a few months and have been trying to avoid taking on new projects until after we've moved. Have too much audio stuff lying around as it is :).

Michael

antennaguru

Besides, the 125ASX2 is best used as a mono amp in BTL mode. I wish Amir could test it in BTL, not in stereo. I'm now using 7 125ASX2 in BTL for my home theater (the two front channels are based on Hypex NC400 monoblocks DIY).
I don't think an ICEpower 125ASX2 in BTL mode is superior to SE mode and instead think they're both essentially the same - because the key parameter in my view is the continuous power rating into 4 ohms without thermal shutdown, and both BTL and SE configurations are practically the same since there is only so much heat that can be dissipated from the components on the 125ASX2 board - and the board is the same for both configurations with just a jumper difference between them! BTW, these boards need to be mounted vertically in accordance with the data sheet in order to dissipate the heat associated with their 65/70 Watt continuous power rating spec.

IvoDiy

I use two Chinese ASX125 in my active two way setup with minidsp 2x4hd and ScanSpeak Illuminator drivers. It has been almost two years and I am more than pleased with the sound up to medium to medium well volumes :) When I crank it up system loses transparency, highs become harsher, but tonality is still well composed and sound is listenable. It could be to due to any of the components, I still need to find out which one, but my first take is amps. Or maybe I expect to much from the two way system :)

mfenske

I'm pretty interested in picking one of these ICEPOWER amps-does anyone have a link for a seller that they trust?

Sokel

Master Contributor
I'm pretty interested in picking one of these ICEPOWER amps-does anyone have a link for a seller that they trust?
Which ones?For what use?Hi-fi or pro?Power needs?
There's lot's of series with or without power supply.

Pablo1980

I ordered a carton of 300A2s to the US, no issues. They asked for a VAT / company registration number, I just said N/A.

Michael
Good to know!. I am debating between a couple of 125asx or one 1200as2

Anyone else boyght directly from icepower to the us?

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
Good to know!. I am debating between a couple of 125asx or one 1200as2

Anyone else boyght directly from icepower to the us?
I’ve ordered on two occasions and it was fast and painless. Shipping was free.

I have the 1200a2 and absolutely love it…

Nitedaze

I ordered two 125asx2's from the seller xspar on Ebay Aug of 2021 and they've been good. They were $130 US each at the time.

I'm also using the VH500 cases designed by Guntar Smits, using the TI INA1650 here. Using the 125asx2 in bridged mode for 500w monobloc.
I don't see them on ebay at the moment.

He has a 12 part series on designing the amp/case here.

Gratefuldad

Yesterday I built my second ice power amplifier after the first sounded very impressive and was so easy to wire up. These are in a temporary case for now (CNCed Di-bond with glue and tape) untill I get some time to machine and bend some aluminum cases. If anyone's got any questions let me know.
View attachment 87505

Thanks for sharing. Presumably you have tracked the performance over a longer time by now - how's the heat handling? Did you need to consider installing a fan?

Top Bottom