• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FiiO BTR7 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this portable DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 83 40.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 108 52.2%

• Total voters

Phoney

They updated the PEQ user interface in a recent update (iOS), it is terrible and became even more counterintuitive to use than before the update.

No one in their right mind would buy it for the PEQ feature in its current state.

I'm just trying to understand why it's so hard to find all in ones with a nice and well functional PEQ feature. Outside of Qudelix 5K and RME, there's barely any options. The current android apps for EQ are also terrible. Like how hard can it really be with the technology of today.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm just trying to understand why it's so hard to find all in ones with a nice and well functional PEQ feature. Outside of Qudelix 5K and RME, there's barely any options.
Mainstream audio consumers care about price but not eq, so why take the risk of increasing the price point to deliver a feature that only 1% want?

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'm just trying to understand why it's so hard to find all in ones with a nice and well functional PEQ feature. Outside of Qudelix 5K and RME, there's barely any options. The current android apps for EQ are also terrible. Like how hard can it really be with the technology of today.
I have a thread asking about exactly these options. List is tiny lol

Phoney

Mainstream audio consumers care about price but not eq, so why take the risk of increasing the price point to deliver a feature that only 1% want?

1%?? PEQ is becoming very popular in the hifi world. This is the reason why Qudelix and RME is so popular.. It's also the main complaint of so many portables, the fact that they don't have EQ. I'd say it's more like 50% of head-fi consumers want EQ, not 1%...

The mainstream masses doesn't really buy portable dac/amp units regardless, they usually buy cheap efficient earplugs or bluetooth stuff. Portable dac/amp units mostly sell to people who care about good sound reproduction, and EQ is even more popular among those. Maybe like 5-10 years ago people didn't like EQ for the most part, but times have changed.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Mainstream audio consumers care about price but not eq

The apps for Bluetooth True Wireless earphones nearly all support EQ. All the mainstream.

Sennheiser app, Bose app, Samsung app, Sony app, Google Buds app, JBL app (probably the best of those),

EQ is definitely mainstream.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
View attachment 244566

This is what FiiO had to say about EQ on the BTR7 in July. Is it really that hard to implement? Maybe in the form of hardware, but like a functional EQ on the app for example?
They’ve implemented EQ now and it works wonderful with both iOS and Android. I earlier reported problems on Android but they are solved now (maybe the issue was that it tried to latch to both my iPhone and Android at the same time). LDAC on Android sounds way better than AAC on iOS.
This is end game for me until they produce an even better device with same functionality. Most requested new feature would be to have EQ working for wired connection as well. As of now see no point in M17 etc. FIIO - respect.

Last edited:

poxymoron

They’ve implemented EQ now and it works wonderful with both iOS and Android. I earlier reported problems on Android but they are solved now (maybe the issue was that it tried to latch to both my iPhone and Android at the same time). LDAC on Android sounds way better than AAC on iOS.
This is end game for me until they produce an even better device with same functionality. Most requested new feature would be to have EQ working for wired connection as well. As of now see no point in M17 etc. FIIO - respect.
So the PEQ works with LDAC but not with wired connection?

A1600RM

Im making a new setup since im just have enough money in my hands to buy some senn hd 600 and the btr7.
My question is : Can I run the senn hd 600's off the unbalanced output?
It's quite costly for me to buy balanced cables and i don't have any local place to really buy it from in my country
I'm also quite new so please don't give me hate

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Im making a new setup since im just have enough money in my hands to buy some senn hd 600 and the btr7.
It's quite costly for me to buy balanced cables and i don't have any local place to really buy it from in my country
Imo it should be fine if you're not listening super loud with EQ. I use a btr5 for my HD6XXs and it's usually enough power to get loud

A1600RM

Thank you both very much for your response. This helped make my descision. Have a nice day

ehabheikal

Is this a noticeable upgrade from radsone es100 if you have a headphone with very low distortion?

Stilgar

Hi all; I bought this little unit last sunday and i am safe to say it's very good amplifier and dac for portable unit. the sound signature is neutral and power output ise very high for small package. I connected my dt770 pro 80 ohm with Se output even low gain , I ve got plenty of power.

ehabheikal

FiiO is on a roll lately. They have great new IEMs, one of the word’s best earbuds (old-school, flat-face style), and now I see this. I love my Qudelix, but if I didn’t have it, I buy this.
which model is the one of the best earbuds? has it been measured?

Blorg

I have this FAAEAL cable for Sennheiser in 2.5 and 4.4, it's only $14. It's a nice handling fabric cable too, nicer to handle than the stock Sennheiser cable. I use 2.5 with a Qudelix but 4.4 would work great with the BTR7. I have 4.4 on another which I use with my desktop amp.

Also available on Amazon (US, search on other Amazons) and Lazada or Shopee (Thailand/SE Asia), it's even a bit cheaper here, under $10.

https://www.amazon.com/FAAEAL-Replacement-Sennheiser-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B09GNHQ84F
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/f...80-hd600-hd660s-i2930056772-s10739849839.html

Balanced cables don't have to be expensive.

rlAO8gB.jpg

ehabheikal

Does this have abmient sound mode like the es100? Has anyone used it? Is it any good?

ehabheikal

wavelet on android is amazing but takes some effort like usb connection to pc and a few commands entered

ehabheikal

I thought eq only worked for wired. Does eq work with ldac?

dgnzcn

Hello, i bought btr7 today, than i updated to latest firmware.

But in control app, i cant find PEQ section. How can i activate PEQ?

Thanks.

Top Bottom