• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the best passive (and preferably floorstanding) speaker one can find for $2,500 or less?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A relative of mine wants to drop around US$2,500 or less on a pair of passive loudspeakers. Floorstanders are strongly preferred. The speakers will be powered by either a higher-end Marantz AV receiver or an uncharacteristically reliable NAD C370 (formerly owned by me). The relative intends to use the speakers to listen to many genres of music and TV/movie sound at a distance of approximately 15 feet from the loudspeakers. (No, the Dutch & Dutch 8Cs, Kii Threes and various low-priced JBL and Kali Audio monitors are not good options for this use case.)

The relative is currently eyeing a lightly used pair of Revel Performa F206s on Audiogon. I'm concerned about the load these will put on the partnering amplifier, especially in light of the listening distance:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

If any of you have suggestions or recommendations, or if you think the Revel F206s may be my relative's best bet, I'd be grateful as always for your thoughts.

Swtoby

I'd recommend the Vandersteen 2. A new pair goes for $2,700, but I've seen them sell used for much less. However, there have been many iterations of the 2 over the years, so some pairs are more used than others. That NAD would also work.

miero

How about trying a small manufacturer?

For example these are my speakers from a small manufacturer in EU (2390 EUR):

Attachments

• evo_americky_dub_m.jpg
    evo_americky_dub_m.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 598

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
Is there a web site that lets you compare frequency response curves (and/or phase, imedeance, etc.) for speakers?

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect the NRC's chamber has issues with deep bass. A number of big speakers show funky measurements down low.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect the NRC's chamber has issues with deep bass. A number of big speakers show funky measurements down low.

The chamber they use is rated down to 80Hz. They had access to one that’s down to 20Hz, they compared measured differences and created a compensation curve. However, it practically never works well, so I would disregard anything below 100Hz from them.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'd throw a suggestion out there for the paradigm line of speakers. Their studio, reference and signature lines are quite good.

A relative of mine wants to drop around US$2,500 or less on a pair of passive loudspeakers. Floorstanders are strongly preferred. The speakers will be powered by either a higher-end Marantz AV receiver or an uncharacteristically reliable NAD C370 (formerly owned by me). The relative intends to use the speakers to listen to many genres of music and TV/movie sound at a distance of approximately 15 feet from the loudspeakers. (No, the Dutch & Dutch 8Cs, Kii Threes and various low-priced JBL and Kali Audio monitors are not good options for this use case.)

The relative is currently eyeing a lightly used pair of Revel Performa F206s on Audiogon. I'm concerned about the load these will put on the partnering amplifier, especially in light of the listening distance:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

If any of you have suggestions or recommendations, or if you think the Revel F206s may be my relative's best bet, I'd be grateful as always for your thoughts.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ascend Sierra Towers is the obvious choice for those that know about Internet Direct speakers.

Will easily beat speakers twice its price in subjective shootouts. If you want an accurate, non-fatiguing system and you’re setting up for a main seating position, that would be my choice.

Just like you’ve found on this site re: mainstream and popular DAC and Amps, the jewels are the ones that are currently unpopular and not well-known.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Before you buy, do yourself a favor, go & listen to a pair of Twenty (any in the series) from PMC, England, the amount of details they deliver is amazing, indeed. Ohh ... at very low volume as well.

Especially if you intend to feed them with a NAD with its British sound signature.

IMHO just as a user of the Twenty speakers.

confucius_zero

I love the LS50...

confucius_zero

Top Bottom