• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo Crosstalk Elimination (reduction) Par Excellence!

OP
T

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, how is this different than Mid/Side processing? I used this with mixing and playing with modular synthesizer, process the sides or the mids only for some weird effects; Not put the separate channels as different speakers, but could do that as well. I'm not per se sure if this makes it easier. Probably easier to get results; but not sure if they are better or worse. Every time you add something, it gains complexity in some domain. Just thinking aloud. Nevertheless, it's an interesting way to do music. Rather than go for quadraphonic and up, just go sides + center.
Yes, it is different. My system is about trying to get a cleaner signal to each ear by minimizing stereo channel crosstalk across the head. It ends up being more complicated since it requires a third speaker and some signal summing and differential. But the resulting signal reaching each ear should be purer, at least in theory. Subjectively it seems to work quite well.

OP
T

Tim Link

Forum Donor
^^ Yeah these single structure stereo systems are all more or less the same concept. Three speaker configuration like normal stereo + center is bit different, but attacks the same issue, combating comb filter of the center sound, replacing phantom center with real center. I've build (and since scrapped) the elias single speaker stereo and it worked nice, except there was difference between the direct and side sound in a way that although there was nice mono and nice "canvas" like sound field on the wall I had the speaker against, it was somehow disconnected. Perhaps I had some issues with the build that are not directly related to the configuration or something.

Perhaps, if the tweeters were all pointed towards the listener, like here in this thread, the direct sound would have least amount of interference to it, cancelled by hearing system even if it works as advertized. I would imagine this works best with multiway speakers and not as good with fullrange drivers (like elias prototype) that beam the highs. I think there is need to have the sound splashed to side walls while having coherent direct sound which should both happen in this thread concept, if I'm imagining it right. Anyway, this could work bit better than the other schemes that splash the sidewalls and try avoid corrupting the direct sound failing at it :)
As for sound splashing on the sidewalls, I'm not sure how important that is in my configuration. I listened to it quite a bit in the listening room at work today where the speakers were surrounded by various amounts of acoustic absorbers. It seemed that it produced a great sound field even when heavily crowded with absorbers but the tone got a little dark. With no absorbers the room is too bright so it ends up being much like a normal two channel configuration in terms of optimal room acoustics.

tmuikku

Hi TIm, thanks for long replies :)

... To elaborate more - my system, unlike Elias', has nothing to do with sidewall reflections. ...
Yep reflections required for Elias' system. How much have you experimented with positioning with your system? What happens if you take it ouside to remove side reflections? Intuitively I would think the side reflections are in key role, as the L-R and R-L speakers would cancel each other out if they were perfectly coincident. Having them separated for small path length makes them decorrelate only at very high frequency and I'm not sure if hearing system masking has set in yet and so on, so I would assume the direct sound just mostly cancels out and what you hear is reflections in the room like in Elias' system.

... overall fun factor.
Key thing!:)

That space station thing is a trip! I wonder what they've got going on inside there. It certainly doesn't look like the kind of thing that would produce amazing stereo.
If I remember correctly space station is Mid-Side system and has dipole driver playing side channel.

OP
T

Tim Link

Forum Donor
Free thinking about it: why not have open back headphones playing the sides signal, no crosstalk at all, and then single speaker mono somewhere in the room to get the sound out of head?:D Augment with face tracking to adjust headphone delay with distance to the mono speaker. Or just add some crossfeed or HRTF stuff to headphones to have the perfect situation and get the sound out of head? :D What are we chasing at here, our own tail? Different systems for different applications, anyone can choose that fits for them and the other perspective is being a business trying to sell stuff to people. How about horizontal speaker array, signal somehow spread on it so that at any given time only one or few adjacent transducer output the same sound, 30 speaker stereo instead of 3. All right, getting out of topic, but thinking stuff is fun :)
You think like I think! I've tried near field and rear field crosstalk cancelation schemes. They all work to some degree. Rear field with a divider works really nicely and beats the heck out of a front divider. You can now rest your head on the divider instead of planting your face into it. Still, all these setups end up being a pain to live with. This setup is easy to live with and works remarkably well.

More channels is more better in my experience - especially if the music was originally mixed for more channels. Really top notch up-mixing is a complex problem, but I think there may be hope with AI being able to extract sounds from a mix and place them correctly in various speakers. Dolby Pro Logic does an amazing job of steering two channel stereo into a 3 channel speaker system. It's very neat and tidy in steering the sound to the channel it should go in. I have no idea how it works. Unfortunately it seems to loose some detail in the processing. It's like the picture goes just slightly out of focus.

Apple is trying to provide the HRTF headphone experience with their latest AirPods or whatever they're called. They've got head tracking, and even scan your ear canal with your phone's camera to try to customize the HRTF curves just for you. I may have to try it. Reports are mixed but some people are really liking it. It's funny because I've been dreaming about HRTF head tracking headphones for years but now I've come to realize I really don't like wearing headphones much, just like I don't like wearing VR goggles, even though VR is fairly interesting. I prefer a nice big screen TV, even if it's only 2D. I'm not in to wearables.

OP
T

Tim Link

Forum Donor
So the crosstalk cancellation system works as long as the setup is physically symmetric sides have signals L-R and R-L? spacing doesn't have to be distance between ears?
What if you spread your 5 speaker array wider as wide as you like? What if you gave 0.5*L-0.5*R and 0.5*R-0.5*L to the speaker between extremes and center, or how to further split the width into individual sets of speakers or is there any point doing so? Can you just leave out the in-between speakers and have three spaced out? What about distance, perhaps speakers should arc to maintain path length and clarity? Just thinking out loud :)

edit. well, perhaps I should get reading papers before posting anymore :) http://decoy.iki.fi/dsound/ambisonic/motherlode/source/7036.pdf
Carry on
The speakers have to be spaced apart in their array at ear distance, but sets of cancelling speakers actually get farther and farther away from the ears as the array widens, which is why it becomes increasingly effective at crosstalk cancellation. You can spread the array wider and it sounds --- interesting. If you do it just right as you say, you can set the speakers up in a pair of arcs around each ear, with the two arcs converging right were the center speaker is placed. This arrangement requires the listener to sit in one location only, both in terms of left and right AND front and back to get proper crosstalk elimination. That's a much more complicated setup to establish and maintain.

OP
T

Tim Link

Forum Donor
Hi TIm, thanks for long replies :)

Yep reflections required for Elias' system. How much have you experimented with positioning with your system? What happens if you take it ouside to remove side reflections? Intuitively I would think the side reflections are in key role, as the L-R and R-L speakers would cancel each other out if they were perfectly coincident. Having them separated for small path length makes them decorrelate only at very high frequency and I'm not sure if hearing system masking has set in yet and so on, so I would assume the direct sound just mostly cancels out and what you hear is reflections in the room like in Elias' system.

Key thing!:)

If I remember correctly space station is Mid-Side system and has dipole driver playing side channel.
I haven't taken the system outside yet but I expect it would still produce a very wide and deep sound stage. The sound may be less enveloping though. I've read others including Don Keele report that stereo crosstalk elimination works great outside or in heavily damped rooms. In a normal stereo setup the room plays an important part in getting the stereo width established. The reflections off the side walls cross the head better than the direct signal, adding to the inter aural difference that is needed. Good crosstalk elimination produces excellent inter aural difference with no need for assistance from room reflections.

I'm really stoked about this so I'm happy to talk about it. As I told my co-worker today, the sound this setup is making really floats my boat. The next step is to put something together to more optimally realize the potential. I'm not sure about directionality but I think there's not much choice in the matter. They have to be wide dispersion because the drivers inherently have to be narrow. My speakers are actually a little too wide. Ideally I think the speakers should be about 6" wide max. They can be then spaced apart a little as needed to work best with a particular listener. Head width averages between 6.5 and 7 inches. I read that today.

Last edited:

Cars-N-Cans

Stereo can mean any number of speakers beyond mono. 2 channel stereo is the simplest stereo and it works really well, as we all know. But, a lot of inter-aural crosstalk occurs with just two speakers. The crosstalk is strongest right in the middle of the sound stage and goes to zero if any sound is hard panned to one speaker or the other. As Amir has pointed out, we can hear past the crosstalk interference and other comb filtering caused by wall and ceiling reflections so it still sounds really good to us. But you can hear a difference if the crosstalk is reduced. The stereo effect widens and clarifies and the tonality changes as a result of the reduced comb filtering. I've not tried it by I've read that listening to 2 channel stereo in an anechoic space will reveal a marked tonal shift as a vocal image is panned from left or right to center. In a reflective room this is largely obscured, but not totally.
FWIW the cross-talk persists regardless of the panning. What you are in fact doing with hard-panning is simply making the speaker that has the audio the sole source of the sound. This is then perceived as any other sound source would be using the typical methods the auditory center employs. The big difference with two speakers in a true cross-talk cancellation scheme is that the speakers themselves are no longer perceived to be the source of the sound. With recordings that have both ITDs and ILDs, the origin of sounds you hear are from the actual recording itself. With sufficient information, each sound source is perceived as its own entity in space at some point in your vicinity. This is one reason headphones with spatial effects sound so much better, is that there is true separation of the sound sources. Not only are they independent to some extent, but there is also much less spectral overlap between the sources in the recording. The auditory center does a much better job of managing it. With old-school "three-blobs" stereo, all of the spectral content in the recording ends up in three places: The left speaker, the right speaker, and the phantom channel. Usually good setups with well-treated rooms and well-behaved speakers will fall somewhere in the middle, hopefully towards the better end. There are some "spatial effects" that give at least some sense of imaging, and the speakers themselves are not perceived to be the only place the sound is coming from, but the recording as well with a phantom image. There are imaging cues that are helping to reconstruct to an extent what was recorded. I think this is one of the main reasons a speaker playing by itself can sound so dramatically different. The auditory center just processes it as any other source of sound, and speakers by definition have to have much different radiation patterns than things like voices or instruments. The tonality can be there, but the actual acoustical image will be quite different.

A quick check on the effectiveness of whatever scheme is being used is the imaging. With effective XTC, the sound sources should be entirely independent of the speakers and perceived as they would be in real life, and there should be deep contrast similar to what you get with quality headphones that comply with the Harman target and have good drivers. The only parameter in that case that are influenced by the speakers, then, will be the physical perceived height of the sound sources as its set by the tweeter elevation as you can't have those types of cues with mics alone generally. They come from the interactions with the head and pinnae. Note, however, that this requires the use of things like orchestral recordings that have microphone arrays that give both ITDs and ILDs. With recordings done with a single mic for each source (like a jazz ensemble for example), the imaging is not dramatically different than a good stereo system since there is only panning being used, but with the main differences being each instrument sounds more spacious and open than it would, otherwise.

Cars-N-Cans

Also, isn't this really just a different take on LCR stereo? I'm too sick to actually think at the moment but I think the main differences are the use of the R and L instead of a dedicated middle and side signal for the channel processing as would normally be done. Edit: I'm mixing it up with middle/side recording, but the signals being sent to the center along with the left and right speakers are exactly the same, just in reverse. Probably why I thought of it when I saw the respective signals. While I have no experience with mics and recording, in principal I guess it could work. If you stick your tongue out at just the right angle and keep still there theoretically should be a "null" between the left and right speaker where the center one is. If it works, it works, but I do prefer the flexibility to move about my listening position to do things without any appreciable changes in imaging.

Last edited:

tmuikku

Yeah I think so too its LCR stuff, except in nice easy to deploy format. Equal path length difference from center and one side to that side ear can be achieved with any speaker spacing just make the center further out. But this is more harder to make and maintain and moving listening spot closer / further out makes distances off again.

Tim, do you have possibility to DIY something like that in a one box solution? Would be great for portable boom boxes, people seem to build just normal stereo stuff on a single box while this would probably bring such boxes to more into hifi territory without much extra effort, another tweeter and woofer and of course some kind of signal processing..

ps. mount it on a turntable and make it aim middle of your head so you are always at sweetspot :D

Last edited:

Cars-N-Cans

Yeah I think so too its LCR stuff, except in nice easy to deploy format. Equal path length difference from center and one side to that side ear can be achieved with any speaker spacing just make the center further out. But this is more harder to make and moving closer / further out makes it off again.
To me it seems that way, but without the need for programming that has dedicated center channel content. Also from his description of it sounding "hollow" without the center speaker there it does allude to there being some form of a null between the L and R speakers.

ps. mount it on a turntable and make it aim middle of your head so you are always at sweetspot :D
Or alternatively you could make a giant line of them with a camera and head tracking. As you move, the selected pair of speakers in use changes as well, meaning you never leave the sweet spot :D. CS5's are relatively cheap, and audiophiles do have stranger things like speakers with field coils and bias supplies or subwoofers with a fist-full of whizzer cones to turn them into full range speakers. Its all a matter of perspective :p

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Just go buy a pair of Polk SRS SDA speakers from the mid 1980s.

1668679523941.png

1668679560206.png

OP
T

Tim Link

Forum Donor
Just go buy a pair of Polk SRS SDA speakers from the mid 1980s.

View attachment 243933

View attachment 243934
I did buy those! Those were my first floor standing speakers. I bought them with my enlistment bonus while in the Navy.
They don't work quite the same way, but it's similar. I didn't find them as effective as what I've got now. As a matter of fact I never got them to do much of interest at all in terms of stereo effects so I always left the connector cord unplugged. Looking back on it I understand now that the setup has to be very accurate and I'm sure I never got them set up adequately aligned for the signals to arrive at the ears at the right time. They can't be towed in, and have to be very close to equal distant to each ear so the setup is critical and difficult. It's so much easier to get accuracy in a tight array directly in front of you than with a wide separation of two speakers.

I've duplicated the SDA arrangement with four speakers on many occasions, and it does work with them all right next to each other. I've never been happy with it because while it does create a wide sound stage it also create a busy sound. A center panned image with SDA is being reproduced in four speakers at once rather than just one speaker. There was no way I could ever get that to sound clean and natural enough to prefer it overall.
As for Polk, placing the drivers about a foot apart makes me wonder. This seems like it actually does require some toe-in to prevent the outside drivers signal arriving at the ear too late. I don't really know why they have them so far apart. I got much better results with them closer to 6.5" apart - center to center.
Thinking about it I've decided what I've made might not be so much crosstalk cancellation but rather crosstalk obfuscation. What happens with a normal setup is that you get crosstalk that would create a coherent backwards soundstage if you could hear it and not the original sound that hit your ears first. With my arrangement you still get the crosstalk and it's still playing the wrong channel in each ear. But, it's also playing that same channel in the correct ear but out of phase. So the initial signal has had all the out of phase stuff canceled and it is coherent, but the crosstalk that comes next has everything out of phase across the head, which means it has no real location. So, it doesn't compete. It just makes everything louder and comb filtered, but differently in each ear. The only coherent signal that hit the head was the initial signal. The crosstalk is all out of phase and non localizable. It has spaciousness but is nebulous, and it's only applied to things not panned center.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tim Link

Forum Donor
To me it seems that way, but without the need for programming that has dedicated center channel content. Also from his description of it sounding "hollow" without the center speaker there it does allude to there being some form of a null between the L and R speakers.

Or alternatively you could make a giant line of them with a camera and head tracking. As you move, the selected pair of speakers in use changes as well, meaning you never leave the sweet spot :D. CS5's are relatively cheap, and audiophiles do have stranger things like speakers with field coils and bias supplies or subwoofers with a fist-full of whizzer cones to turn them into full range speakers. Its all a matter of perspective :p
I think head tracking has a lot of potential. Even with just a 3 speaker array the time alignment could be maintained over a wider sweet spot by adjusting the delays of each channel. So if you move to the left you just have to delay the left channel and delay the center channel a bit less to maintain arrival times. I find it already sounds pretty good as you move off axis. The sound stays put in the middle of the listening area where the speakers are but the width and depth of the sound stage collapses. It still sounds clean and tight with good tone, just a bit more mono.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My growing family of cheap Sony speakers! More speakers in the array adds recursive crosstalk reduction, resulting in a more pure and detailed sound stage with more solid and precise imaging in the areas far to the left and right of the speakers themselves. The sound field can be ridiculously widened by turning down the center speaker, causing center panned sounds to seem more distant and sometimes reverberant if the reverb was not panned center. I'm still not sure where the center level should be set, and I think some EQ or bass management is called for. This definitely improved the stereo imaging but the tonality needs to be worked out again.View attachment 243666

You should box that lot up and send to Amir so he can put it on the Klippel :)

tuga

Major Contributor
There's a website about DSP crosstalk cancellation which allows one to test their product (can't recall the name).
To me it sounded phasey-weird and as if coming from the bottom of a well.

I did try something like this back in the day:

mkldW8n.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tuga

Major Contributor
Very Low WAF.
I was 16 at the time. But yes, very low MumAF.
Mine was built of a hard thin cushion/matress proped up with a stool on each side.

It was purely by accident, I had absolutely no idea what crosstalk was but for some reason it made sense to try... :p

OP
T

Tim Link

Forum Donor
I was 16 at the time. But yes, very low MumAF.
Mine was built of a hard thin cushion/matress proped up with a stool on each side.

It was purely by accident, I had absolutely no idea what crosstalk was but for some reason it made sense to try... :p
That's the ultimate way to do it. Doing that is what got me started on the whole thing. It sounds MUCH better to my ears. But that darned thing right in your face just doesn't cut it. Well actually it does cut it - cuts the left and right speaker signals right in half! But I don't like having a divider in my face. Yes, the recursive crosstalk elimination sounds weird to me too - although some implementations have worked better than others, I've never found it to be something I could live with. I'm thinking with my 5 speaker array it could be applied sparingly just to the outside channels leaving the inside channels pure and unadulterated. I'm going to try it.

Cars-N-Cans

So, out of curiosity I did take some measurements of a mockup of this. I have two CS5's, but not three, so I can only simulate the L-R and -(L-R) which I treat as side and -side signals like a MS recording array, and having a hole in the middle where the center speaker would be = diffraction from hell. But anyhow here was the setup on the PC:

Sonly_LCR_Setup.jpg

The measurement mic is located 3' from the front baffle. This seemed to give a somewhat approximate listening distance while still not being swamped with reflections from the room. Edit: Measurement axis was along the midranges, for what its worth. Oh yeah, and the T15s are just there to get them off the table. With that setup, I took measurements from on-axis to 70 degrees off-axis to see what the horizontal pattern looked like (Note: Not normalized):

Sony CS5 Proposed XTC Setup.png

Even though this is a very literal interpretation, there is an indication that there is a null in the middle with the formation of two lobes on either side. Its hard to say how much of the aberrations are due to diffraction (probably a lot) or are due to variations from the two speakers interacting with each other and experiencing constructive and destructive interference. Off the top of my head, one issue with conventional XTC filters was the resultant tonal distortion. I will leave the details to ASR's resident acousticians to elaborate, but Dr. Edgar Choueiri does have commentary on it in AES' Immersive Sound. Interesting read, but really heavy on the math as he goes over the theoretical basis for the BACCH filters. Still worth a look.

I did take a quick listen, and there was some sense of additional imaging beyond just stereo, but too hard to say without adding a center channel and applying corrections to fix any potential coloration from the method being used. The system behind it with the Polk S55 towers and sub is also a system that has XTC, but relying on passive head shadowing, application HRTFs via equalization, and RFZ (and yes the wall behind it needs to be treated. I've been meaning to finish it some day, but being lazy :() so I do have something to compare with. My usual experience with this system is that it has the tonality of headphones on the Harman target, but with much more accurate spatial effects. Its not simply the usual "instruments in a line" but an actual sense of accurate lateral position and depth, with the sources in the recording being perceived as separate entities in their own right.

Still, it looks like it does have merit. To me, it basically looks like an MTM in reverse, with the beaming being on the sides instead of on-axis. I would think with some measurements and tinkering it could work well. But this assumes that there is sufficient headroom if substantial corrections are needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom