• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Beautiful setup, but by not sitting in the middle, you miss out on the stereo sound image.

How are those E112s?

I definitely do not miss out on the stereo image. That's not how it works. It may be slightly skewed to one side, but in no way does the stereo sound image disappear when you are not perfectly in the middle. As an aside, those chairs slide incredilby easy, so when actively listening alone I freqently slide my chair to the middle.

The e112's are fantastic! They are expensive new, but I got them for $1k each in the used market.

Burning Sounds

LXMiniSpain1000.jpg

We've just spent a few months in Spain helping my mother in law as she recovered from heart surgery. As we are likely to spend more time in Spain over the next few years and we had the space we decided to setup a music room there with a pair of Linkwitz LXMini+2s. The dipole subs save the upward facing driver from bass duties enabling the speaker to play louder with a lot more ease. Glorious imaging.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Your mother in law has surprisingly good taste in music

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
View attachment 244441

We've just spent a few months in Spain helping my mother in law as she recovered from heart surgery. As we are likely to spend more time in Spain over the next few years and we had the space we decided to setup a music room there with a pair of Linkwitz LXMini+2s. The dipole subs save the upward facing driver from bass duties enabling the speaker to play louder with a lot more ease. Glorious imaging.
Best wishes for her complete and total recovery from her surgery. May she cook and rock out for many years to come….

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Busted out of music and audio doldrums recently, and decided to bring a long-dormant whole-house system back to life. Gonna be awhile before the set up is photo worthy, but will show eventually. The cable nest behind the main system is currently epic, as I kludge through the "I think I have a cable for this" portion of new system configuration. You can't really be considered an audio enthusiast unless you've accumulated an entire box (or more :rolleyes:) of cable selections. Plus typing this up made me realize we tend to accumulate a lot of stuff :facepalm: in order to reproduce sound, loud and clear.

For the living room, A$R led me to a new pair of Revel F208s and a NAD C298 Purifi amp. Audioholic$ convinced me on 2 Monolith 10 inch THX subwoofers. I set up a Logitech Media Server (LMS) streaming system on an Intel Nuc11i7, which holds my ~1300 ripped CDs. An old Logitech Touch is connected via Ethernet. I don't have a separate DAC now, so I'm using the Touch analog outs into a Bryston BP25MC preamp, that is almost out of their 20 year warranty, but still going strong, and built like a tank. The main system NUC uses a cheapie 42 inch Vizio TV for a Windows 11 monitor, and video streaming, with analog outs to the preamp. Cables are old Mogami Gold balanced, Mogami RCAs mostly, cheap RCAs to get subs connected for now, and Blue Jeans 10 gauge Belden speaker cable with locking bananas. Spotify currently streams through the TV analog outs, but I will get that to stream through LMS eventually.

I currently use a corner speaker placement, plenty of distance from walls for the F208s, and the 2 subs are set up opposite from each other, as often recommended, with neither in the corner behind the Revels. The baseline sound with no DRC, or even a modern DAC, is beyond expectations. To think it can sound even better is actually a bit mind-blowing.

Still a lot to do with the main system. Since the NUC is in the living room, I plan to run a USB C out to a DAC/processor of some type, to incorporate DRC. I'll run the main system LMS via the PC display or a tablet/phone app. The video display will be upgraded eventually, with audio to the DAC somehow (Black Friday deals may be too good to avoid ;).) I have ~1700 LPs, for a Sota Nova turntable, with the vacuum system and Reflex clamp, and a Graham 2.1 tonearm. It needs a new cart, I've worn out a Benz Ace HO. I'll probably get one of the Audio Technicas recommended at ASR. The phono amp in the Bryston has a spec sheet for this unit that measured both MC & MM SNR at -82 db, so that's perfectly fine. I'm not attached to the Bryston per se, as I'd like to run the LPs through DRC eventually, maybe even try some needle drops to the NUC, which may be easier with a less analog preamp. As I read through ASR, there are several options to accomplish all this.

I have LMS devices laying around for abuncha rooms. I have a $20 part, on the way from Britain, to hopefully resurrect a Logitech Transporter (thank you Squeezebox online forums) streamer/DAC. I might use this in the main system until I get a more modern DAC, so I can use the TV digital outs instead of the analog, which I can hear are a bit noisy. I eventually plan to move the Transporter or Touch to a bedroom system, with Revel M16s, smallish subwoofer, old Audio Alchemy OM150 amp and DLC preamp. For crissake, I may even stick a Sota Satellite turtable with Audioquest arm and Audio Alchemy VAC phono amp (also needs a cart) in the bedoom, just because I have it. The Touch might end up back in a garage system, with a 1990s Denon receiver and Mordaunt Short bookshelves, or I might just use a Chromecast that is plugged into a 32 inch Vizio for LMS or Spotify streaming. The sunroom gets a Logitech Boom/Polk SW10 subwoofer combo, with 2 Logitech Radios available to scatter about the house.

Sheesh. Stopping now. Will update with some photos as I finish the rooms. Will definitely ask for advice as I move into DAC/DRC decisions.

Happy Thanksgiving 2022, to those in the USA. :cool:

Edit: I got curious how many gizmos are involved in my almost whole-house audio attempt, and in just plain resurrecting the units I have. I underlined 'em, not counting cables, stands, router, record cleaning machine, etc. I count 32 units, to cover a living room, 2 of 3 bedrooms, the master bath, sunroom and garage. I've stumbled into being an audio enthusiast. :eek:

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the living room, A$R led me to a new pair of Revel F208s and a NAD C298 Purifi amp. Audioholic$ convinced me on 2 Monolith 10 inch THX subwoofers. I set up a Logitech Media Server (LMS) streaming system on an Intel Nuc11i7, which holds my ~1300 ripped CDs. An old Logitech Touch is connected via Ethernet. I don't have a separate DAC now, so I'm using the Touch analog outs into a Bryston BP25MC preamp, that is almost out of their 20 year warranty, but still going strong, and built like a tank. The main system NUC uses a cheapie 42 inch Vizio TV for a Windows 11 monitor, and video streaming, with analog outs to the preamp. Cables are old Mogami Gold balanced, Mogami RCAs mostly, cheap RCAs to get subs connected for now, and Blue Jeans 10 gauge Belden speaker cable with locking bananas. Spotify currently streams through the TV analog outs, but I will get that to stream through LMS eventually.

I currently use a corner speaker placement, plenty of distance from walls for the F208s, and the 2 subs are set up opposite from each other, as often recommended, with neither in the corner behind the Revels. The baseline sound with no DRC, or even a modern DAC, is beyond expectations. To think it can sound even better is actually a bit mind-blowing.

Still a lot to do with the main system. Since the NUC is in the living room, I plan to run a USB C out to a DAC/processor of some type, to incorporate DRC. I'll run the main system LMS via the PC display or a tablet/phone app. The video display will be upgraded eventually, with audio to the DAC somehow (Black Friday deals may be too good to avoid ;).) I have ~1700 LPs, for a Sota Nova turntable, with the vacuum system and Reflex clamp, and a Graham 2.1 tonearm. It needs a new cart, I've worn out a Benz Ace HO. I'll probably get one of the Audio Technicas recommended at ASR. The phono amp in the Bryston has a spec sheet for this unit that measured both MC & MM SNR at -82 db, so that's perfectly fine. I'm not attached to the Bryston per se, as I'd like to run the LPs through DRC eventually, maybe even try some needle drops to the NUC, which may be easier with a less analog preamp. As I read through ASR, there are several options to accomplish all this.

I have LMS devices laying around for abuncha rooms. I have a $20 part, on the way from Britain, to hopefully resurrect a Logitech Transporter (thank you Squeezebox online forums) streamer/DAC. I might use this in the main system until I get a more modern DAC, so I can use the TV digital outs instead of the analog, which I can hear are a bit noisy. I eventually plan to move the Transporter or Touch to a bedroom system, with Revel M16s, smallish subwoofer, old Audio Alchemy OM150 amp and DLC preamp. For crissake, I may even stick a Sota Satellite turtable with Audioquest arm and Audio Alchemy VAC phono amp (also needs a cart) in the bedoom, just because I have it. The Touch might end up back in a garage system, with a 1990s Denon receiver and Mordaunt Short bookshelves, or I might just use a Chromecast that is plugged into a 32 inch Vizio for LMS or Spotify streaming. The sunroom gets a Logitech Boom/Polk SW10 subwoofer combo, with 2 Logitech Radios available to scatter about the house.

Sheesh. Stopping now. Will update with some photos as I finish the rooms. Will definitely ask for advice as I move into DAC/DRC decisions.

Happy Thanksgiving 2022, to those in the USA. :cool:

Edit: I got curious how many gizmos are involved in my almost whole-house audio attempt, and in just plain resurrecting the units I have. I underlined 'em, not counting cables, stands, router, record cleaning machine, etc. I count 32 units, to cover a living room, 2 of 3 bedrooms, the master bath, sunroom and garage. I've stumbled into being an audio enthusiast. :eek:
You must be retired.;)

Last edited:

Roderik

Diapason Prelude II. Speakers 25 years old but performing beautifully.
Teac AH500. Amplifier also 25 years old. Nothing wrong with it.
Marantz CD6003.
Airport Express 2d gen. for streaming Apple Music lossless to amplifier.
Grado SR 325 gold, SR 80 e, Airpods Max and Airpods pro 2d gen.
IMG_7356.jpeg

Last edited:

RonSanderson

My system seems pretty retro based on what I have been seeing. Then again, I went through the upgrading of components in the 80’s and 90’s so I don’t need to do it now.

Here is the setup from my listening position. The speakers are Fried Studio V with M.A.R.S. This is a transmission line design with a specified frequency response of 26Hz to 22KHz +/-2 db. Therefore, I do not have any subwoofer. I’ll attach a small amount of verbiage about the speaker and M.A.R.S., which is a mechanism to introduce low-frequency in the opposite channels to account for how the ear perceives direction at low frequencies.

DE739C0B-751A-4D02-8FA3-1C6F775794C5.jpeg

The area behind the system is open except for some sound-absorbing furniture, and old, old fiber ceiling tiles. I used to have a piece of black foamcore behind the shelving to block the view of the wires. Recently I replaced that with a piece of black sound-transparent cloth. The way it opened up the soundstage was just astonishing.

The listening area as seen from behind the speakers:
4EB75EFB-21D9-4B94-B2FA-C2198B5F0DA3.jpeg

The equipment: an old Rega Planar II with grado 707 arm and Grace cartridge, Furman power conditioner, Naim CD5 for CD’s, a Marantz NA8005 for digital sources, and a venerable Krell KAV 300i integrated amplifier intended for home theater when stereo was all that existed.

A miniDSP is on order, that I can insert into the Krell’s Tape Out/Tape In to correct the system and room.
5932D720-049C-4EA5-AC2B-9CEF9B8466AB.jpeg

For internet radio and the 1500-2000 CD’s that I copied to our network server.
143610E7-ABC8-4B2F-BBF1-2E697E754DBA.jpeg

Someone gave me a crystal for its supposed healing powers or whatever, so I put in on the Krell KAV 300i as a joke. It turns out, there was an occasional vibration in the perforated top cover of the preamp/amp, which the weight of the crystal dampened out. So, go figure!
3575C468-0109-46A2-9D5B-005DBF3FA871.jpeg

That’s it. The soundstage fills the area from wall to wall and 15’ back behind the speakers. The music is gorgeous.

The miniDSP that I bought today is to see if there are any dropouts that I can fix. I’ve got a bit to learn on how to set that up, though.

Attachments

• Studio V Preliminary p.2.pdf
    819.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Fried Studio V brochures.pdf
    710 KB · Views: 45
  • Studio V Preliminary p.1.pdf
    902.6 KB · Views: 66
  • M.A.R.S Stereophile Article.pdf
    753.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Fried Studio V Crossover Schematic.pdf
    39.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
Just so you don't have to wait too long, what's your opinion of them?

Do they have characteristics that belong in the "foo" category, or is that reserved for things that you aren't sure even work?

I'm still making cables from the scrap heap. They're oil-resistant, that's a plus.

View attachment 4071

Some foo not in the picture - a HomeDepot wooden paint stir stick (free) jammed vertically between the terminals.
Good you are sticking the paint stick vertically in between the terminals. Very hefty connections but looks like a short circuit waiting to happen as i the photo.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My system seems pretty retro based on what I have been seeing. Then again, I went through the upgrading of components in the 80’s and 90’s so I don’t need to do it now.

Here is the setup from my listening position. The speakers are Fried Studio V with M.A.R.S. This is a transmission line design with a specified frequency response of 26Hz to 22KHz +/-2 db. Therefore, I do not have any subwoofer. I’ll attach a small amount of verbiage about the speaker and M.A.R.S., which is a mechanism to introduce low-frequency in the opposite channels to account for how the ear perceives direction at low frequencies.

View attachment 252782

The area behind the system is open except for some sound-absorbing furniture, and old, old fiber ceiling tiles. I used to have a piece of black foamcore behind the shelving to block the view of the wires. Recently I replaced that with a piece of black sound-transparent cloth. The way it opened up the soundstage was just astonishing.

The listening area as seen from behind the speakers:
View attachment 252784

The equipment: an old Rega Planar II with grado 707 arm and Grace cartridge, Furman power conditioner, Naim CD5 for CD’s, a Marantz NA8005 for digital sources, and a venerable Krell KAV 300i integrated amplifier intended for home theater when stereo was all that existed.

A miniDSP is on order, that I can insert into the Krell’s Tape Out/Tape In to correct the system and room.
View attachment 252783

For internet radio and the 1500-2000 CD’s that I copied to our network server.
View attachment 252786

Someone gave me a crystal for its supposed healing powers or whatever, so I put in on the Krell KAV 300i as a joke. It turns out, there was an occasional vibration in the perforated top cover of the preamp/amp, which the weight of the crystal dampened out. So, go figure!
View attachment 252785

That’s it. The soundstage fills the area from wall to wall and 15’ back behind the speakers. The music is gorgeous.

The miniDSP that I bought today is to see if there are any dropouts that I can fix. I’ve got a bit to learn on how to set that up, though.
Thats a proper mancave what sort of music is played?

Last edited:

RonSanderson

Thats a proper mancave what sort of music is played?
Mostly classical, then jazz, then classic rock. I recently got the remastered Doors albums, and the rumble of thunder in Riders of the Storm fills the room. The record player has just been resurrected after years of disuse, and I built a temporary cabinet for the records we have from the mid- to late-1960’s, up until CDs really displaced the record market. The left two-thirds is classical, the right third is rock / jazz.

But where I have the music both on record and on CD, the digital version is clearly superior. There are no compromises with having too much bass to to squeeze into a record groove, or forcing the bass to become monaural, or surface noise, or hopping up to flip the vinyl. The records are there because they still have music we do not have in any other format.

A5AD28A1-251B-4351-9008-274BEA040EA6.jpeg

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nice rig, time to tell the house mouse to get busy with the dust-buster. ;)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, no pictures. These are my current systems

Video: LG C1 55

I continue to be in awe of the picture quality of this OLED. It's due to have its ISF callibration in January.

Headphone system:

NVidia Shield (primary source for Dolby Atmos Sound and Dolby Vision movies plus Tidal music)
Smyth A16 Realizer with 24 channel Prirs taken in person in studio for Dutch & Dutch 8Cs, and in home 24 channel PRIR of Kef LS 50 Metas+Subs
Octo Research DAC 8 (Channels 7 & 8 receive spdif output of A16)
THX AAA 789
Sennheiser HD 800. Audeze LCD X (2015 vintage) All connections balanced
Subpac S2 Tactile Subwoofer

This system plays both music and is a home theater (24 channel Atmos or 12 Channel Auro 3D, depending on program source). It shares the Octo DAC 8 with the speaker based system. Pretty cool to be able to watch a full on Atmos movie at any volume I want without waking up the rest of the house, but that's what the Realizer provides. That and not needing a room for 24 speakers plus their associated equipment. BTW the virtual speakers sound virtually if not completely identical to their physical counterparts.

Speaker based system

Mele Quieter 3. Serves as primary source for music and streaming video. Fanless PC, runs streaming desktop apps including Netflix, and Qobuz
JRiver Media Center 30
Dirac Multichannel for PC
Dephonica Software Crossover
Octo Research DAC 8 Pro (Channel 1-6 are reserved for the multichannel PC based home theater)
Purifi Eval 1, Aiyima A7. Behringer A500 (the Purifi powers the L-R, the Aiyima the center, and the Behringer the SL-SR)
Kef LS 50 Meta (L-R), Kef HTC 3001 SE (Center), Kef OG LS 50 (SL-SR)
2 SVS SB 2000 Subs

I like the versatility of this system. I can run the Metas + the subs as 3 ways, since each sub is less than 24 inches away from the main speaker, or I can run mono bass when I'm running as a home theater and have the two sssubs function as LFE bass for 5.1 channel surround. I have a small room so four Ls 50s + Kef Center+2 12 inch powered subs seem well able to play loud enough though, obviously, not at Reference (115 db) levels.

Last edited:

posvibes

Mainly I run:
Computer/Spotify/Cambridge 651a Integrated usb input/ Harbeth Compact 7-es2's and/or
Computer/Spotify/Topping E30/Kali Audio LP-8's

Neither speaker to my ears require PEQ , I just wish I could make up my mind as to what set up I prefer over the other. So when I finally learn how to measure their performance in my room it should allow me to make that decision.

RonSanderson

Nice rig, time to tell the house mouse to get busy with the dust-buster. ;)
Yeah, that would be me. The other inhabitant of the hu-man-cave says she is leaving all the dusty little nooks and crannies to me. It gets dusty fast, for some reason.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom