• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research B24 AC Cable Review: Does it Make an Audible Difference?

ExUnoPlura

Forum Donor
So, using philosophy and logic, just HOW many guys does it take to TOTALLY ruin a thread with nonsense??

I count Three!!

Prove that wrong.
I know, I know. I recently did an experiment on Audiogon forums engaging similar kinds of woo-woo. I‘m still not sure if there are any positive take-aways other than “wow, did I just waste hours of my time?”

sweetsounds

There is an A:B comparison on Jay's Audio Lab Youtube between power cables. People report to hear a difference. And indeed there is: if you take a look at the preamp display, the volume changed between presentations when "nothing changed but the cable" :facepalm:

Anyone ever did a real blind AB comparison, which yielded differences? My mid-fi cables look pretty, but sound same to me.

DanielT

Major Contributor
There is an A:B comparison on Jay's Audio Lab Youtube between power cables. People report to hear a difference. And indeed there is: if you take a look at the preamp display, the volume changed between presentations when "nothing changed but the cable" :facepalm:

Anyone ever did a real blind AB comparison, which yielded differences? My mid-fi cables look pretty, but sound same to me.
....because you can't hear a difference, it's...

Yuhasz01

What the hell is this thread? Barstool science and philosophy by audio amateurs? Science is experiments… theory of knowing is epistemology…. Keep your sandboxes separated

This site concerns engineering and technologies in regards to sound , acoustics and devices that deliver these attributes.

Moderators do your job

Midnight Audiophile

It would be nice to have a concise "Skeptics Guide to the Hi-Fi Universe." Cover each component with scientific evidence and references.

linesplice

I've always thought that AC conditioners / regenerators have always had more opportunity to be "legitimate" sound "enhancers" but 3-foot long cables only have the ability to change capacitance and yes, therefore sound. As many others have said, 30' of code-standard Romex or a breaker in a panel are going to change the threshold for energy more than the last couple feet. Such snake oil. Wish you had measured an equivalent length of Romex or house wire as a baseline.

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
How can they sell power cables that arnt safety approved? In Canada:

"21 (1)Subject to subsections (3) and (4), a person must not use electrical equipment in British Columbia, or offer for sale, sell, display or otherwise dispose of electrical equipment for use in British Columbia, unless the electrical equipment displays a label or mark as follows:

(a)a certification mark;

(b)a label or mark of a certification agency that is acceptable to the appropriate provincial safety manager to certify electrical equipment for a specific installation;

(c)an approval mark issued under section 10 of the Act;

(d)in the case of used manufactured homes, used factory-built structures and used recreational vehicles, a label supplied by the appropriate provincial safety manager.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For all the cable testing video lovers.
Cheap extension cords make great speaker wire, too. Is there anything they can't do?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Huh, no resistance measurements?
Sure, you can measure the resistance. But if a cord is rated say, 10AWG for long 15A runs, chances are it's not bad. The end connectors you put on it may have more resistance.

TrevC

I've always thought that AC conditioners / regenerators have always had more opportunity to be "legitimate" sound "enhancers" but 3-foot long cables only have the ability to change capacitance and yes, therefore sound. As many others have said, 30' of code-standard Romex or a breaker in a panel are going to change the threshold for energy more than the last couple feet. Such snake oil. Wish you had measured an equivalent length of Romex or house wire as a baseline.
How can a conditioner or regenerator enhance sound?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How can a conditioner or regenerator enhance sound?
There are a lot of things you could question in that post.

Top Bottom