• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help parring Technics SL-1210GR (TT) to the right system.

djmartin

Hi frinds,

I just invasted in a new turntable from Technics model SL-1210GR and I need some recomandations for the system to perform its best.

Currently its connected to a surround reciever "off all things" a Marantz NR1711 via a Schitt Mani 2.

The sound is simply "To closed, not open" this is mainly the bad Amp, or missing EQ settings.

All is connected to a set of Sonus Faber Lumina V spekaer set.

Now comes the question:

Reason for the surround reciever, is i want to of have both worlds (Movie and Music) therefore I actualy have a poweamp laying around, as I purchased from the reviews on this site:

Audiophonics LPA-5400ET Class D power amp, and when i connect the sustem purely to this - ohhhh mannnn - using the small RED Bellani PA 550 pre-amp it sounds magical - and on that i can control bass, + treble, but it lacks inputs.

So frinds - what can i do to have both worlds ? or should i simply drop the Cinema, and focus on Stereo and go buy myself a Schiit freya s preamp + Loki+, where i can connect my Turntable and external DAC SMSL SU-9 - reason its the freya s, is its score better in the tests vs the tube edition at half the price.

Or should i just start out with the Loki+ (Tonecontrol) and see if it can change the surround reciever sound, as a bonus its actualy posible to connect using PRE-OUTs my PA-5400ET Class D power amp to the Marantz sound reciever and save the money?

Lots of info, - but what's the route to go - if you had the above componets to open the sound up?

In my head maybe the Loki Mini+ can help - ? if i stick to the surround.

if i drop surround, i want a loki mini+ plus a Schiit freya s preamp

or should i go with the Topping PRE90 Preamp to my system:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-pre90-review-preamplifier.18283/

:)

Happy weekend.

Last edited:

AaronJ

Get yourself a used Niles SPK-1 on eBay for like $30-40. You run both sets of speaker outputs from the AVR and power amp into the SPK-1, and one set of speaker cables to your speakers. The SPK-1 has a couple relays that operate via 12V trigger from your AVR so you never get your wires crossed. If your AVR is connected to your TV via HDMI ARC then turning on the TV will turn on your AVR and trigger the SPK-1. This is the best way to set and forget your system while keeping your components as separate as possible, and is so simple to operate it’s spouse-approved. And it is so integral to the operation of my system I also have a backup since the unit is out of production.

BJL

I have a 1200GR (the silver version) with a Grado Reference3 cartridge connected to a Pioneer AVR via toslink from a Puffin phono pre, and it sounds just great. If you aren't happy with the quality of sound from the Technics, this suggests that your cartridge is not matched well to the Technics tonearm (or not set up correctly), or maybe you just don't like the sound from the particular cartridge, or the phono pre is problematic. There is no reason why you would need to create separate systems, in my opinion.

Edit: if you follow the instructions in the manual for cartridge installation, you should get a good result. Assuming that you have a decent, medium compliance cartridge, from your description it sounds like you may not have the vertical tracking angle (height of tonearm) set correctly, or the cartridge may not have been mounted precisely using the included device. Another easy mistake is setting the weight, you might need the auxiliary weight to get it perfectly balanced if the cartridge is on the heavy side (as is mine), even if it technically works without the extra weight, the result isn't as good.

Last edited:

sq225917

Major Contributor
What cartridge go you have fitted, and who was the TT set-up by?

Thorsten Loesch

Germany, now South East Asia (not China or SAR's)
I just invasted in a new turntable from Technics model SL-1210GR and I need some recomandations for the system to perform its best.

Currently its connected to a surround reciever "off all things" a Marantz NR1711 via a Schitt Mani 2.

The sound is simply "To closed, not open" this is mainly the bad Amp, or missing EQ settings.

What cartridge is used?

Have you correctly set Tracking force, Anti Skating (best with test LP) and Stylus Rake Angle correctly?

The Manitou (pun intended - I'm sure also by Mike & Jase) is a rather decent Phonostage, so I don't think it is to blame.

Also, many older LP's, next to modern recordings tend sound tame and midrange focused, it's how they were mastered.

Thor

Avp1

Hi frinds,

All is connected to a set of Sonus Faber Lumina V spekaer set.

Now comes the question:

Reason for the surround reciever, is i want to of have both worlds (Movie and Music) therefore I actualy have a poweamp laying around, as I purchased from the reviews on this site:

Audiophonics LPA-5400ET Class D power amp, and when i connect the sustem purely to this - ohhhh mannnn - using the small RED Bellani PA 550 pre-amp it sounds magical - and on that i can control bass, + treble, but it lacks inputs.

So frinds - what can i do to have both worlds ? or should i simply drop the Cinema, and focus on Stereo and go buy myself a Schiit freya s preamp + Loki+, where i can connect my Turntable and external DAC SMSL SU-9 - reason its the freya s, is its score better in the tests vs the tube edition at half the price.

Or should i just start out with the Loki+ (Tonecontrol) and see if it can change the surround reciever sound, as a bonus its actualy posible to connect using PRE-OUTs my PA-5400ET Class D power amp to the Marantz sound reciever and save the money?

Lots of info, - but what's the route to go - if you had the above componets to open the sound up?

In my head maybe the Loki Mini+ can help - ? if i stick to the surround.

if i drop surround, i want a loki mini+ plus a Schiit freya s preamp

or should i go with the Topping PRE90 Preamp to my system:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-pre90-review-preamplifier.18283/

:)

Happy weekend.

If you do not like sound of this TT, it is either cartridge or phono preamp problem, or both. You need to tell us what cartridge are you using to start this conversation.

Your receiver is also entry level in Marantz lineup, I would look at SR7015 model and run it in bi-amping mode for front speakers. But if digital playback sounds fine, it should be acceptable. Also make sure that when you play vinyl, you use "Direct" mode in receiver to avoid A/D/A conversion in receiver, which is likely compromised.

Top Bottom