• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1st lab-grown meat product cleared for human consumption in the U.S.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lab grown chicken is on the menu and starting in a nearby restaurant before it goes to the general public for consumption. Will this be a means to cut down on methane output? Will people eat it and like it? Is this just gross and yucky? lol
z cicken.png

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll just drop this cliche off and be neutral with the matter: you are what you eat

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll bit :) Well literally I mean ;) If it’s good, why not?

I wonder how much of a resource difference this will make compared to a real chicken? If it is significant, imagine what this can do for beef production, which is a much bigger strain on the environment.

If we can save the environment and still eat meat, I’m good with that.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll bit :) Well literally I mean ;) If it’s good, why not?

I wonder how much of a resource difference this will make compared to a real chicken? If it is significant, imagine what this can do for beef production, which is a much bigger strain on the environment.

If we can save the environment and still eat meat, I’m good with that.
Moi aussi. I'll eat it and expect it to be prepared well. Bon Appétit... I don't really care about any vegan or such stuff. I eat what I see and want. :D

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't really care about any vegan or such stuff.
In general, me neither. But not because it’s vegan. It’s mainly because it tastes like crap (crab would be better) on average. There are some notable exceptions though and the number of them is growing. We regularly eat a pretty good vegan schnitzel. We have had a very good vegan Dutch Kroket that’s virtually indistinguishable from the meat variants. On the other hand, in general I’m not in favor of mimicking meat products… it’s also very confusing: Vegan chicken wings, WTF?

Another problem is price. For some reason this vegan stuff is often more expensive than the meat that it’s supposed to replace although the ingredients should actually be cheaper. Making money is obviously more important than saving the environment.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Soy milk is expensive! Per quart/2L it is much more than milk. The manufacturing process looks expensive although it can operate continuously to a point. maximizing the margins and production.
Tofu anybody? Om nom nom...

Bleib

Major Contributor
Should be revolutionary. One day killing animals might be considered unethical when there's a better process, which btw is more efficient than the normal way.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Should be revolutionary. One day killing animals might be considered unethical when there's a better process, which btw is more efficient than the normal way.
I've butchered thousands of them. Lotsa birds and some cattle with pigs in there too. Chop off the heads on birds and all the rest a 22 long bullet slightly above the center of the eyes and then a sharp sabre butcher knife stuck in the throat and slash it open. Some of them where buddies... So it hurts sometimes and ya grit your teeth and get'er dun. So some faux chicken that tastes pretty good is a good thing I think.

kongwee

Major Contributor
A substitute for something nobody should need: milk :facepalm: We’re not baby cows people! Nor are we soy saplings for that matter ;)
It is common in my country. Even self cooked stall. Many people like it warm in the morning. Not expensive in my country. Cost about the same as coffee or tea. My neighbourhood even have it free once in very week for elderly, come with soy bean curd.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is common in my country. Even self cooked stall. Many people like it warm in the morning. Not expensive in my country. Cost about the same as coffee or tea. My neighbourhood even have it free once in very week for elderly, come with soy bean curd.
What country would that be @kongwee? :D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why chicken? I will eat chicken, but don't like it. They should have tried to simulate almost anything else. If it isn't a perfect simalucrum for chicken I might prefer it. Man they should have done turkey or ham or beef. Or veal, I do like good veal.

Top Bottom