• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New SMSL A300 BTL Class-d Power Amp

Romario

I switcht out the power cord for a one I had laying around from an old AVR. Anybody else thought it was a bit below par?

ampguy

Another related question on wiring. I find that I prefer the A300 sound without using it's high pass filter on my Polk R200s. Is there any reason to utilize (or not utilize) the Amps SW output to the LFE input on the sub, VS feeding the DAC to my SVS SW and passing the full spectrum DAC output to the A300 with the Subs splitter?
Still on my first hour of listening, but I did the test tones (40-120Hz ~10-20Hz steps) and it's very subtle, since it's not a sharp filter but using something like 6db/octave, unless your main speakers have issues at the low range, I'd just keep it at full range, but I realize others feel different on this. I am using Infinity R162s today (maybe through end of week before switching it up) with the A300 testing. If anyone is using a 2.1 setup and definitely feels the high pass helps noticeably, would be curious what your setup is.

Destination: Moon

Still on my first hour of listening, but I did the test tones (40-120Hz ~10-20Hz steps) and it's very subtle, since it's not a sharp filter but using something like 6db/octave, unless your main speakers have issues at the low range, I'd just keep it at full range, but I realize others feel different on this. I am using Infinity R162s today (maybe through end of week before switching it up) with the A300 testing. If anyone is using a 2.1 setup and definitely feels the high pass helps noticeably, would be curious what your setup is.

It's impossible to reset the wiring to do a blind test, but I'm liking not using the SW output of the amp at all.
I'm running the source signal to the Subwoofer and the running it's line output (basically a splitter) into the A300.

It seems smoother somehow than running the source into the Amp and then using the Amp's Subwoofer output..... Maybe I'm imagining it?

When using the Amp to feed the SW it's set to LFE mode (not using the SVS low pass filter). Using the splitter method, uses the SWs (SVS 1000 Pro) low pass filter

Last edited:

longma

Just for information, I have an A300 and can easily detect noise when no signal present. It's along the lines of faint FM radio static at a very low level, in my speaker ( royd minstrel se) it seems to emanate more from woofer than tweeter and I cannot detect it from more than 30cm from speaker.
It is not noticable from normal listening position or with any music I have played. As a comparison I previously used a topping pa3s which was totally silent.
I experience the same thing with line input. For listening, which sound is more preferable: PA3s or A300?
Btw, if i use BT input (it is not quite good, but for convenience when listen from phone), it is much quieter when no music.

7jm

I experience the same thing with line input. For listening, which sound is more preferable: PA3s or A300?
Btw, if i use BT input (it is not quite good, but for convenience when listen from phone), it is much quieter when no music.

Hi, to be honest I have only been listening to the A300 for a few days and am not in the position to offer a comparison.
I will say that I was perfectly happy with the pa3s and still have it for another system, I just got the smsl on a whim for it's bt, remote and tone control. It certainly offers more power than the topping but as I listen at quite moderate volume that didn't make much difference.
Suffice to say that both amps seem good but pa3s is dead quiet but the A300 is more feature rich. My previous amp was a Rega brio-r and an old Tripath t2024? I sold the Rega a few weeks back and don't regret it. It's interesting that you say that the noise floor drops when using bt, I can't say I've checked that.

san

My A300 is dead silent. It's been a week since I bought it.

Romario

It's impossible to reset the wiring to do a blind test, but I'm liking not using the SW output of the amp at all.
I'm running the source signal to the Subwoofer and the running it's line output (basically a splitter) into the A300.

It seems smoother somehow than running the source into the Amp and then using the Amp's Subwoofer output..... Maybe I'm imagining it?

When using the Amp to feed the SW it's set to LFE mode (not using the SVS low pass filter). Using the splitter method, uses the SWs (SVS 1000 Pro) low pass filter
What do you mean by LFE mode? When engaging HF1?

regan

Anyone measured the SINAD of A300? Can't find anything online..

What do you mean by LFE mode? When engaging HF1?
No, that's a setting on the SVS sub. It disables the low pass filter in the sub itself. If your feeding the sub a full range signal it needs the low pass filter. If your feeding it the SW output from an amp, you disable the LP filter, letting the amp manage the signal processing.

I tried three configurations:. Using the SW output to drive the sub. With HF 0 (letting the speakers roll off naturally), and 1 (high pass)

Then I ran it with the DAC feeding the sub, and using the line outputs from the sub (a pass through - splitter) to drive the amp and letting the speakers roll off naturally without any filter.

san

Can anyone tell me what is the preferred EQ setting for A300? I like the E1 setting.

ampguy

Can anyone tell me what is the preferred EQ setting for A300? I like the E1 setting.
E2, the SDB here, at least at low volumes < 15 to 20, for the "loudness" effect, in a small room.

Reactions: san

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
E0 Direct E1 Tone
E2 SDB E3 Bass
E4 Super Bass E5 Rock
E6 Soft E7 Clear

I think SBD is the most bass you'll get out of it... its "party mode".

Besides 'direct' I dont think there's much else there useful TBH. Only e2/e4 as loudness modes.

Romario

With E1 you can set you're own treble (t) and bass ( b) if you scroll right on the remote . That's besides E0 ( direct mode) my most used.

I backed to backed the A300 against the DA9. They sound Very different to my ears. The DA9 sounds better. Less emphasis on the upper notes - more balanced, flatter, that sounds much more like the old
Sony ES 555 I just retired (going from memory). There was a very noticable difference in sound when I first swapped in the A300 a couple weeks ago. I attributed the difference to the old amp being tired as it's 40 years old..... But now I'm thinking the A300 has a sound signature that's not flat

Toku

Major Contributor
I backed to backed the A300 against the DA9. They sound Very different to my ears. The DA9 sounds better. Less emphasis on the upper notes - more balanced, flatter, that sounds much more like the old
Sony ES 555 I just retired (going from memory). There was a very noticable difference in sound when I first swapped in the A300 a couple weeks ago. I attributed the difference to the old amp being tired as it's 40 years old..... But now I'm thinking the A300 has a sound signature that's not flat
I bought and compared SMSL DA-9, AO200, A300 and Sabaj A20a(2019), A20a(2022). Among these, the sound quality of the DA-9 feels a little rounder and quieter to me.
It is subtly different from the AO200, A20a(2019) and A20a(2022) which use the same MA12070 amplifier chip.
I think the reason you felt that way about the A300 was that it simply didn't suit your sound preferences.
On the other hand, I didn't like the sound quality of the DA-9, so I let it go.
Everyone has different sound preferences. I think that you should compare various models and use the model that suits your taste.

I bought and compared SMSL DA-9, AO200, A300 and Sabaj A20a(2019), A20a(2022). Among these, the sound quality of the DA-9 feels a little rounder and quieter to me.
It is subtly different from the AO200, A20a(2019) and A20a(2022) which use the same MA12070 amplifier chip.
I think the reason you felt that way about the A300 was that it simply didn't suit your sound preferences.
On the other hand, I didn't like the sound quality of the DA-9, so I let it go.
Everyone has different sound preferences. I think that you should compare various models and use the model that suits your taste.
That kind of of supports what I hear too. I don't own any of the others. Just the DA9 and A300. After spending more time with the DA9 driving my Polk R200s I can say for certain there's a very big difference. The 300 by comparison sounds thin and also puts a hard edge on certain sounds that make it fatiguing. I'm really surprised that there is such a big difference.

I've read about some of these issues regarding class D amps here on the forum, but never heard it till now.

pickyAudiophile

That kind of of supports what I hear too. I don't own any of the others. Just the DA9 and A300. After spending more time with the DA9 driving my Polk R200s I can say for certain there's a very big difference. The 300 by comparison sounds thin and also puts a hard edge on certain sounds that make it fatiguing. I'm really surprised that there is such a big difference.

I've read about some of these issues regarding class D amps here on the forum, but never heard it till now.
My 2020 Sabaj A20a(s) for my taste slightly, just slightly, outperform the D300(s) when it comes to sound quality.
If you compare these Infineon based builds with classical Class AB amps it's mostly something like slightly more grip in that bass region, just more oooomph - still - from the Class AB. But same time less detail retrival and "airiness". Some people prefer a kind of "pleasant distortion". Others make experiments with "romanticizing" speakers to equalize what "edgy" amplifiers deliver.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
to me the only reason i avoided the A20a is the reports of units dying very quickly... I mean look at the amazon and various web reports

and right now their webpage has gone:

Service Unavailable​

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.

the build quality of the case is obviously there and you lose the screen but it comes down to... do you put up with the unit suddenly dying or just buy an A300 and let it just work. I leave mine all 24/7 and its been fine.

Top Bottom