• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
I am proud to announce the release of Rev 3.0 of my award winning PecanPi® product line.

PP_STRMR_Front_1600 - Copy.jpg IMG_1719_1600px.jpg IMG_1714_1600px.jpg IMG_1714_1600px.jpg

The PecanPi Streamer is a networked music player with build-in DAC and headphone amplifier.
The PecanPi DAC is high-performance DAC for the RaspberryPi and Tinker Board, this is for DIYer and tinkers.

With Rev 3.0 the big change is the availability of an S/PDIF input.
The S/PDIF input has an automatic switch over that takes audio from the S/PDIF connection when there is a valid signal. When no valid signal is available on the S/PDIF interface the device defaults back to taking streaming data.
With Rev 3.0 the linear regulator have also been upgraded to use lower noise parts.

The audio performance remains the same as with previous versions. Below I retook some of the measurements using S/PDIF input.
Dynamic Range - AES17 (XLR).JPG THD+N Ratio vs Measured Level XLR.jpg Frequency Response 48kHz Sample Rate (XLR).JPG 256k FFT -60dB Output (XLR).JPG Jitter Spectrum and Noise 256k FFT, 16 Averages (XLR).JPG

Additional Details can be found on my website here:
www.orchardaudio.com

Attachments

• IMG_1716_1600px.jpg
    IMG_1716_1600px.jpg
    980.4 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @orchardaudio

Does it work with RPi4 POE+ HAT?

Can it get power from POE+ HAT board ?

Or it actually required 9Vdc power input ?

And what is output impedance of XLR outs?

Veri

Master Contributor

-I believe it is required
-Current iteration's output stage puts it near 0Ω SE / 1Ω BAL IIRC (can also be used to drive headphones)

Music1969

Major Contributor
-I believe it is required
-Current iteration's output stage puts it near 0Ω SE / 1Ω BAL IIRC (can also be used to drive headphones)
Headphones is only reason why I ask.

<1 ohm for balanced would be nice.

Even better would be POE+ HAT powered.

Just one ethernet cable into the box - and just headphone cable out of the box !

@orchardaudio RPi's official POE+ HAT easily supplies over 15W over bog standard Cat 6 UTP cable.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Hi @orchardaudio

Does it work with RPi4 POE+ HAT?

Can it get power from POE+ HAT board ?

The DAC requires 9V, you can power the RPI using a POE hat but the DAC will not work with 5V. Maybe you can get some kind of 5V to 9V converter in addition.

The output impedance of XLR is <<1ohm, you can easily drive headphones. That is what it is designed for.

The specifications are here:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Maybe you can get some kind of 5V to 9V converter in addition.
Thanks. I've seen USB to 9Vdc boosters. The Pi4 has USB3.0 port capable of 900mA.

There is some loss with USB to 9Vdc boosters.

How much current does PecanPi DAC need at 9Vdc ? Max driving headphones

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
How much current does PecanPi DAC need at 9Vdc ?

If you will be driving headphones it will depend on the headphone impedance and how hard you drive them.

But generally, I would not do any less than 500mA.

I would say you will need approximately 500mA + 2 x headphone current, where the headphone current is for both left and right channels.

Top Bottom