• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 83.9%

• Total voters

alekksander

The IMD test? I think you get more intermodulation in the lower region of this kind of multitone test, no matter what you do as a designer. It's just physics. You can't fight it.
can You explain a bit further? there are devices tested here on asr without that low freq. rise in imd test.

mumadadd

Seems to be very good .:)
Some critisism:
Why blutooth ? It has nothing to do with this performance and belongs to units below 50 dollars.
The day topping fixes DNLA, TIDAL connect, Apple lossless and Qobus and a bug-free interface for all this, it would be much more interesting. Im sure its coming in the future.
Why not? I have no need of bluetooth for music playback but I also listen to audiobooks via Audible app, which doesn't have equivalent streaming support as Tidal, Spotify Amazon etc., so Bluetooth is a convenient way to play back via my system. Any relative lack of fidelity in this use case is moot.

pickyAudiophile

Can both play music files pulled from a Roon server, or is a separat streamer required?
If your question is more related to purchase advice people commenting in that⬇ forum are happy to welcome you. Just open a new thread in there.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's quite a few of these balanced DACS from Topping now, you may as well as save nearly $100 and get the E50 though right?
Cursory glance shows the same main features I think.

EDIT: no Bluetooth on E50, but $100 saving almost.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why not?
bluetooth is incredibly convenient, and for casual listening it's fine, plus frankly I have serious doubts that an average user can hear audible differences between a bit perfect signal and a bluetooth Ldac 990kb/s
But going back to the product, thanks for the review Amir, but it's another fantastic clone of all the same dacs with all the same functions that I didn't feel the need for
The low-frequency extension is clearly, audibly limited using the Bluetooth as compared to the USB connection between my Topping DAC and my streaming PC. So noticeable that I heard it first and then as a result discovered by research that limited low-frequency extension is an attribute of Bluetooth.

I use a planar headphone with flat LF response down to 20Hz, and maybe that is why the low bass cutoff is so noticeable; it might not be the same with freestanding speakers or headphones with an LF rolloff.

At my age, my hearing is not good enough with high frequencies to hear the upper limit of Bluetooth. I understand it is also subject to a kind of hazy noise at higher SPL's but I haven't checked for that since I only use Bluetooth for casual/background listening. But the LF cutoff is pretty obvious.

ps this is using LDAC

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
The problem is - why you should buy this product if your main source is bluetooth ?
Why would you think that including a Bluetooth option means it is the main source?:facepalm: For example, putting inputs for a tuner or phono, etc. on an integrated amplifier doesn't make any these the main source. If someone wants to listen to radio then they can, conveniently. What's wrong with that? You are arguing for a device with reduced value to those who want inputs for their music.
You can use a device for 30 dollar for this, and youre not gonna hear any difference because bluetooth ( including all ” high res ” solutions ) is not a bitperfect format .
The way you write this, you make it seem like it is 'beneath' this device and a 30 dollar drag. It's not, it's a 30 dollar value add to the consumer in a sea of DACs that all sound identical.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
can You explain a bit further? there are devices tested here on asr without that low freq. rise in imd test.
Care to point to one. I've just checked half a dozen, and they all rise at low frequency.

Make sure the one you point to is also at or lower than -120dB accross it's flat range.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted fine as there’s not enough tests done to decide if it’s great.

Labjr

Major Contributor
There's quite a few of these balanced DACS from Topping now, you may as well as save nearly $100 and get the E50 though right?
Cursory glance shows the same main features I think.

EDIT: no Bluetooth on E50, but $100 saving almost.
Apos has the E50 for $199.

pickyAudiophile

Apos has the E50 for $199.

And don't forget about a pair of low capacitance XLR to TRS cables when buying... https://www.adamhall.com/shop/us-en...d-cables/balanced-cables/3394/5-star-bmv-0050

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

I'm mostly going by intuition. It makes sense to me that evenly spaced tones will intermodulate more the lower you go in frequency, but I'd might be fooling myself.

Show me an example of a flat multitone test, and I'll eat my words.

EDIT: Looking at the test results again I realized that the tones are not evenly spaced, but actually increasing in distance with frequency. That also makes the rise in IMD as you look at the low end of the graph more sensical, since IMD is both harmonics, sums and differences between tones. I was indeed wrong in my reasoning, but I'd still argue that the rise is more inherent to the test itself than the device being tested.

Can both play music files pulled from a Roon server, or is a separat streamer required?

Have no idea. I assume it requires wifi or ethernet? In that case, the DAW-S250NC is your huckleberry.

Last edited:

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very nice piece of gear.
Personally is still prefer the orange display of the D30 Pro over this one.. although it is much better than the display on de D90 series.

Interesting to see that an AIO scores better in the DAC department than a dedicated DAC ;)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
getting tired of the new dac's and spec's. I love to listen to my music instead of reading charts and measurements........how 'bout you?.
It's nice to have a top of the charts dac. But in the end the only thing that counts is the end result , meaning : how does it sound?.

have a nice day
It does not "sound" at all .. It is for all practical purpose, perfect.. The best DACs on this site, to use your words, "sound" the exact same.
There are other fora where they describe its organic quality and the shade of its background, along with the width of its soundstage to the nearest light-year.. Not this one...
Welcome BTW.

Peace

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
getting tired of the new dac's and spec's. I love to listen to my music instead of reading charts and measurements........
May I ask why you have joined this forum then? What do you want to find here if not test results and objective comparisons of the most modern equipment?

Top Bottom