• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love to listen to my music instead of reading charts and measurements........how 'bout you?.
This, again?... :facepalm:
I love to listen music, as anybody else here. Charts just tell you what's wrong and what's not when it comes to engineering. Like everything in life, it's always better to know than don't.

how does it sound?.
100% transparent. DACs don't have any other purpose than that.

threni

Major Contributor
getting tired of the new dac's and spec's. I love to listen to my music instead of reading charts and measurements........how 'bout you?.
It's nice to have a top of the charts dac. But in the end the only thing that counts is the end result , meaning : how does it sound?.

have a nice day
Why are you reading a website which reviews audio hardware if you have no interest in it? The review tells you how it sounds - transparent. You're listening to the music.

JakeK

Forum Donor
If you want transparency, better go for ldac instead of aptx
Thanks, now LDAC is on my wishlist for bluetooth devices! From what I've seen you're lucky to get APTX in a BT equipped device such as an amp let alone LDAC plus I'm not sure how many phones will have LDAC. Many phones have APTX of some form now so that's a start.

marcom22

getting tired of the new dac's and spec's. I love to listen to my music instead of reading charts and measurements........how 'bout you?.
It's nice to have a top of the charts dac. But in the end the only thing that counts is the end result , meaning : how does it sound?.

have a nice day
Only for you ...... like to destroy years of science and audio research.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I doubt the difference between CD and APTX of any type can be heard at all.

It would be good to see some sort of review or even test of the bluetooth function of these devices. Lots of people, myself included, will want to use BT. Sometimes you just want to play something from your phone on the speakers.
Sure, why not. It would have been interesting to read about those results.:)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only for you ...... like to destroy years of science and audio research.
For some people, it seems unbearable just to learn something. Happy are the ignorants, I guess...

Just because of your influence , now manufacturers shying away from MQA
Manufacturers ? Who ? Not because S.M.S.L or Topping release few non-MQA DACs for cost optimizations (and still launch MQA DACs anyway), that "Manufacturers" are shying away. Far from it.
I said this would happen!! And its already started! [...] With great power comes great responsibility!!!
You're actually dreaming. ;)
remember this community is influential
We are. Probably not on this matter. There's a demand for MQA on the market that most manufacturers cannot override. That includes Chinese ones as well. Why do you think they still put stupid Hi-Res stickers on any of their products?

Last edited:

MarnixM

Six months ago I bought the Topping D90SE and still enjoying my music every day. Now I see a same level quality DAC for more than half the price. I would say fine that high quality equipment comes in reach of a larger target group, so that more can enjoy their favourite music in excellent quality. Or isn’t that the idea for all our members?

Gremlins

Personally, i think that toppinng and smsl have become masters in dacs,

I would now see them going route:

Amps with powers in the range of 100 to 200w

Players : hdd and qobuz

All in one package

Well, all electronics chain for audio

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
-_-

All DAC manufacturers lately:

5z0cq7.png

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, i think that toppinng and smsl have become masters in dacs
Masters of measured performance, yes. To be masters of anything else, they now need to focus on QC, long term reliability and user experience. That becomes when you stop to release a new product every two weeks.

Last edited:

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The hobby will mainly still be fun for subjectivists, guys that think they can here te difference between a top class D amp and a top class A/B amp.
This is nonsense. An objectiveist can also play with audio systems. Why not?
People on ASR - not all of course - still forget about many different things.

ceausuc

How should be interpreted the graph: "THD+N vs output level"?
The sinad is = 90 when the volume control of the dac is at -40 (out of -99)?

telfunr

As usual you have a menu of DAC reconstruction filters but I suggest staying with default filter 3:
View attachment 243639
View attachment 243640

I’ve been trying to understand filters better and thus have a question on your recommendation in this review.

@amirm and others — I know sharp roll off filters are better, but what is the science-minded reasoning to pick the default sharp minimum phase filter (#3) vs the sharp linear phase filter (#1)? Filer #1 is just as flat to 20khz and has the same stopband and attenuation at 24khz. That combined with maintaining the phase seems like it would make #1 the pick, but I don’t know if the current thinking is minimum phase is desirable (Topping makes it the default, after all). I thought linear phase and it’s even pre- and post-ripple/ring were considered preferable than minimum phase which pushes it to all to post-ripple. Thanks.

Stephen

Seems to be very good .:)
Some critisism:
Why blutooth ? It has nothing to do with this performance and belongs to units below 50 dollars.
The day topping fixes DNLA, TIDAL connect, Apple lossless and Qobus and a bug-free interface for all this, it would be much more interesting. Im sure its coming in the future.
Yes! and USB file management, but the software is the main problem... it's the stumbling block. I've tried a few streamers and none of them have really good software.

JaccoW

Thanks, now LDAC is on my wishlist for bluetooth devices! From what I've seen you're lucky to get APTX in a BT equipped device such as an amp let alone LDAC plus I'm not sure how many phones will have LDAC. Many phones have APTX of some form now so that's a start.
My Sony Xperia 5 III has both LDAC as well as aptX HD. When I hooked it up to an Argon Audio BT3 last year, which supports aptX HD, I was honestly blown away how much better it sounded than my Argon Audio Forte A5 active speakers that only support the standard aptX (non HD) coded. It was virtually indistinguishable from CD.
LDAC is supposed to be even better because of its higher bandwith.

So yes, the addition of both of these high-res codecs to the Topping makes this very intriguing to me. Maybe even enough to replace the E50 I now have with.
Just a shame it doesn't come in red.

usersky

Forum Donor
I'm not sure how many phones will have LDAC. Many phones have APTX of some form now so that's a start.

All recent Android have LDAC, it is included by default in Android from version 8 or 9, years ago (It was donated by Sony and included in basic AOSP by Google so all manufacturers got it). So more recent phone have LDAC than AptX.

Last edited:
Top Bottom