• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Shangri-La

Is it possible to further improve the D50 sound with a linear power supply? Or does it have a switcher inside.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to further improve the D50 sound with a linear power supply? Or does it have a switcher inside.

There is a long discussion on D50 power supply benefits on pages 2-4 of this thread including this from Amir's measurements. The jist is that the D50's performance is not hindered or helped in any meaningful way by investing in a high end power supply. Several D50 users including myself use this cheap linear supply from Jameco (also on Amazon). Works great.

Shangri-La

There is a long discussion on D50 power supply benefits on pages 2-4 of this thread including this from Amir's measurements. The jist is that the D50's performance is not hindered or helped in any meaningful way by investing in a high end power supply. Several D50 users including myself use this cheap linear supply from Jameco (also on Amazon). Works great.

How is this "regulated linear wall adapter" different from the usual "linear power suppply" that cost hundreds?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How is this "regulated linear wall adapter" different from the usual "linear power suppply" that cost hundreds?

Interesting question. I am not an expert...but here are some links that may help with the answer:

1. A PDF describing in detail the Jameco Linear Regulated power supply including who manufactured the capacitors and the enameled copper transformer windings in great detail.

2. For contrast, a 5V 1A Regulated Power supply that sells for $660.

3. An article by an audiophile engineer who describes what makes a great linear power supply great (and expensive) in audio.

Differences between the Jameco & the Accurate Audio studio: Lots. I immediately see a much larger lower noise imported British Troidal power supply, Fuy Yin vs imported American Maxwell and Philips capacitors with total capacitance of 52800UF compared to 2300UF.

But: Amir's measurements of D50 noise showed that it is excellent at filtering out noise to far below audible levels regardless of the power supply. Batteries (like the Anker that is tested) are essentially perfect...better than the $660 Accurate Audio. Laptops and cheap switching wall warts generally the other extreme. But in all cases the D50 filtered out any significant noise regardless. So in the case of the D50...all of the cool stuff described in the Audio Bacon article make no performance difference.

In a sighted test I am certain most of us will strongly prefer the gorgeous Accurate Audio with its multi-cultural components. In a blind test a decent brand name phone charger would sound identical.

Shangri-La

Interesting question. I am not an expert...but here are some links that may help with the answer:

1. A PDF describing in detail the Jameco Linear Regulated power supply including who manufactured the capacitors and the enameled copper transformer windings in great detail.

2. For contrast, a 5V 1A Regulated Power supply that sells for $660.

3. An article by an audiophile engineer who describes what makes a great linear power supply great (and expensive) in audio.

Differences between the Jameco & the Accurate Audio studio: Lots. I immediately see a much larger lower noise imported British Troidal power supply, Fuy Yin vs imported American Maxwell and Philips capacitors with total capacitance of 52800UF compared to 2300UF.

But: Amir's measurements of D50 noise showed that it is excellent at filtering out noise to far below audible levels regardless of the power supply. Batteries (like the Anker that is tested) are essentially perfect...better than the $660 Accurate Audio. Laptops and cheap switching wall warts generally the other extreme. But in all cases the D50 filtered out any significant noise regardless. So in the case of the D50...all of the cool stuff described in the Audio Bacon article make no performance difference.

In a sighted test I am certain most of us will strongly prefer the gorgeous Accurate Audio with its multi-cultural components. In a blind test a decent brand name phone charger would sound identical.

It's interesting that in another D50 thread, people were talking about how different power supplies changed the sound characteristics. Maybe some subjective listening experience may not translate to measurement.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's interesting that in another D50 thread, people were talking about how different power supplies changed the sound characteristics. Maybe some subjective listening experience may not translate to measurement.

YES! You literally can never trust your ears in sighted comparisons, because...you cannot disconnect your ears from your lyin brain ;)

I think one of the most enlightening things about ASR are the discussions of how we perceive audio in the Pyschoacoustics: Science of how we hear section. Some of the world's experts like Ethan Winer and J.J. Johnston post there, along with a lot of other very knowledgeable people.

A 5 minute video clip that for me explains it all is from a 2009 "Audio Myths" video on Youtube. If you watch from about 1:00 to about 6:00 you will hear J.J. Johnston explain why sighted audio comparisons (when you know what you are listening to) never work. Understanding this explains a whole lot about why perceptions often do not match objective reality.

Shangri-La

YES! You literally can never trust your ears in sighted comparisons, because...you cannot disconnect your ears from your lyin brain ;)

I think one of the most enlightening things about ASR are the discussions of how we perceive audio in the Pyschoacoustics: Science of how we hear section. Some of the world's experts like Ethan Winer and J.J. Johnston post there, along with a lot of other very knowledgeable people.

A 5 minute video clip that for me explains it all is from a 2009 "Audio Myths" video on Youtube. If you watch from about 1:00 to about 6:00 you will hear J.J. Johnston explain why sighted audio comparisons (when you know what you are listening to) never work. Understanding this explains a whole lot about why perceptions often do not match objective reality.

Double blind testing is one thing. Whether listening experience can be reflected in measurements is another thing.

Last edited:

UncleGrandpa925

My D50 Coax in didn't work with my Micro iDSD Coax out, but worked like a charm when using the Sony CDP Coax out. Is there any fix can be done? Thanks!
P/S: I'm using a RCA cable for the Coax connection at the moment. You guys think this is the cause for the above prob?

D

Deleted member 65

My D50 Coax in didn't work with my Micro iDSD Coax out, but worked like a charm when using the Sony CDP Coax out. Is there any fix can be done? Thanks!
P/S: I'm using a RCA cable for the Coax connection at the moment. You guys think this is the cause for the above prob?

I have the same issue, D50 SPDIF in from iFi iDAC2 does not work whereas it works using a SingXer SU-1, see my posts here

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/post-131498

svetdts

svetdts:
Hello, i received my D50 two days ago ,but Topping's coaxial entry does not work.. My coaxial cable is in good working order, because when it is plugged into my Yamaha receiver, there is music.What could be the problem?

service

Hello
Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

There are 3 possibilities will case this problem.

1, the connection between your player and D50 is not good enough.
2, the S/PDIF signal from your player is not a standard signal, D50 required a standard signal.
3, your player is not outputting a S/PDIF signal.

You can check these and find the solution.

So, is this a service !?

chosen_too

Dear Alex

Yes we are able to met similar problem when playing your file.

Very strange problem. Audio freq of your file is going up, and R channel mute at one point. We use AP test D50 for many times, it is also swapping up audio freq but never met this situation. For this happen on DAC and exceed our ability, we send this info to ESS for help. I will reply you if we have any update info.

Best Regards!
----------------------------------
TOPPING service

I sent them more info and link to this thread.

D

Deleted member 65

Dear Alex

Yes we are able to met similar problem when playing your file.

Very strange problem. Audio freq of your file is going up, and R channel mute at one point. We use AP test D50 for many times, it is also swapping up audio freq but never met this situation. For this happen on DAC and exceed our ability, we send this info to ESS for help. I will reply you if we have any update info.

Best Regards!
TOPPING service

I sent them more info and link to this thread.

Also got similar response from Topping on the Right channel issue:

" Sorry for the late reply. Another user report us this problem and send us a file for it. We test this and find this is a strange problem for us. Yet we know problem is in DAC, for it exceeds our ability, we report it to ESS and now waiting for their response. We will send out news to our web when we have a solution.
Best Regards!
TOPPING service"

Top Bottom