• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does anybody actually listen to "Hotel California" outside of gear demos? (answer: apparently so)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PPS: this remix is not dynamically squashed. Hooray, to see an exception to the sad state of modern remixes & remasters.
I don't stream. But I would by more physical media if it wasn't so dynamically squashed so much of the time.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I don't stream. But I would by more physical media if it wasn't so dynamically squashed so much of the time.
One nice thing about streaming (especially services like Qobuz that stream full resolution lossless) is you can listen to the albums before buying.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Go to any bar in Pattaya, you'll hear it played ten times a night.
It's so easy to throw stones at anything the large general population loves and then consider yourself superior. :facepalm:

MAB

Major Contributor
I love the question and find it very funny. I NEVER listen to Hotel California. I don't like one hit wonders!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
One hit?
The question is actually pretty disrespectful. The OP's first post makes it more so. There are lots of songs I don't like, that's my problem. If I don't like a band or song or food or sports team or whatever, I seem to recognize it is buzzkill to passively attack other people's taste. The only good thing is that we got to discuss lots of other Eagles hits! They certainly had lots of them, which for people who don't like them might be a problem.;) Just don't make your problems everybody else's!

Reactions: NTK

killdozzer

Major Contributor
One hit?
The question is actually pretty disrespectful. The OP's first post makes it more so. There are lots of songs I don't like, that's my problem. If I don't like a band or song or food or sports team or whatever, I seem to recognize it is buzzkill to passively attack other people's taste. The only good thing is that we got to discuss lots of other Eagles hits! They certainly had lots of them, which for people who don't like them might be a problem.;) Just don't make your problems everybody else's!
:D
And all of that you wrote while making your but-hurt everyone else's problem. Chill down, man, you shouldn't identify with your bands nor other preferences (nor have idols for that matter). It's just a dumb band. No one cares what you say about bands.

You've been fairly easy to hook. Try to ignore when people bash something for humor.

MAB

Major Contributor
:D
And all of that you wrote while making your but-hurt everyone else's problem. Chill down, man, you shouldn't identify with your bands nor other preferences (nor have idols for that matter). It's just a dumb band. No one cares what you say about bands.

You've been fairly easy to hook. Try to ignore when people bash something for humor.
Not quite butt-hurt, but the thread is disrespectful and was intended to be, and is worded to hook.;) And you got me!!! I'm just calling it! It's not like my mom was insulted, that would definitely be butt-hurt.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Not quite butt-hurt, but the thread is disrespectful and was intended to be, and is worded to hook.;) And you got me!!! I'm just calling it! It's not like my mom was insulted, that would definitely be butt-hurt.
You may even be right. But that's what's funny sometimes. I know they have more music, but since it's not my band, I only know them for the Hotel and got a bit bored by that one. I just noticed that people who like Eagles don't really like them to be labeled a one hit wonder. But it was an obvious dig. Just for a giggle.

MAB

Major Contributor
You may even be right. But that's what's funny sometimes. I know they have more music, but since it's not my band, I only know them for the Hotel and got a bit bored by that one. I just noticed that people who like Eagles don't really like them to be labeled a one hit wonder. But it was an obvious dig. Just for a giggle.
Yeah, they sold a ton of song for better or worse and drew strong opinions, some negative. I think Hotel is really catchy, and I understand why it got played so much, and that some people are worn out by it, me too to some extent. A few of their other hits really do wear on me, I can still enjoy Hotel but that is me. To be clear, I find that anybody who loves something gets offended if you call it a "one-hit wonder". With me, your cool so long as you don't say anything bad about Rush! :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hotel Cal isn't my fav song by the Eagles and I couldn't begin to remember the last time I played it.
OTOH, I've seen the Eagles 4 times live and would pay whatever it costs to see them live again.
They're a group of some of the most talented musicians and songwriters of the last 50+ years.
If your of a different opinion, that's fine, but they've sold millions of albums and tickets to argue that point.
From the very first time I heard them, playing as backup band for Linda Ronstadt I knew they were going to be huge.
The bands talent was one that shone through from the first meeting.

"Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?
You been out ridin' fences for so long now
Oh, you're a hard one
But I know that you got your reasons
These things that are pleasin' you
Can hurt you somehow "

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Yeah, they sold a ton of song for better or worse and drew strong opinions, some negative. I think Hotel is really catchy, and I understand why it got played so much, and that some people are worn out by it, me too to some extent. A few of their other hits really do wear on me, I can still enjoy Hotel but that is me. To be clear, I find that anybody who loves something gets offended if you call it a "one-hit wonder". With me, your cool so long as you don't say anything bad about Rush! :)
I find this identification strange. I did get offended when I was young, but I just thought about it and... When I saw people will fling poo at anything, be it Bach or Spears, I said it's not worth my time or nerves or feelings. I stopped thinking my choices are me. I just ignore it. And, if you can make a good joke about it, I'll laugh with you. (I mean, I even listen to Michael Jackson, and let's face it, there has been a fair portion of jokes about him :D ).

Here, some of my absolute fave bands (just from the top of my head, I have many):
Sixteen Horsepower
Wovenhand
Madredeus
Michael Kiwanuka
Jethro Tull
Yes
Dinah Washington

Feel free to make fun of any of them!

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Hotel Cal isn't my fav song by the Eagles and I couldn't begin to remember the last time I played it.
OTOH, I've seen the Eagles 4 times live and would pay whatever it costs to see them live again.
They're a group of some of the most talented musicians and songwriters of the last 50+ years.
If your of a different opinion, that's fine, but they've sold millions of albums and tickets to argue that point.
From the very first time I heard them, playing as backup band for Linda Ronstadt I knew they were going to be huge.
The bands talent was one that shone through from the first meeting.

"Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?
You been out ridin' fences for so long now
Oh, you're a hard one
But I know that you got your reasons
These things that are pleasin' you
Can hurt you somehow "
I agree for the most part, except for the argument many albums=most talented. That would make Taylor Swift talented and we both know that couldn't be further from the truth.

(Oooouch, now counting down to hear from a Swift fan... 10, 9, 8, 7, 6,...):D

I mean, even McDonalds sell a lot of their sh... and it's not at all good, right?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
(Oooouch, now counting down to hear from a Swift fan... 10, 9, 8, 7, 6,...):D

I mean, even McDonalds sell a lot of their sh... and it's not at all good, right?
I do get a craving for a Big Mac on occasion, rare that it is.
So here's the deal, anything that popular must have some really strong points.
Even if we can't see them. ;) LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom