• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

Newman

Major Contributor
My money's on non-neutrality (sorry, character), and a disinterest in letting boys with Klippel toys get anywhere near.

We'll get a Stereophile review filled with poetry and backed by a measurement panel with a few dry comments papering over the discrepancies with the poetry, and overemphasising correlations.

Andrew Jones' name will only be mentioned 1.7 times per paragraph in association with marketing and advertising.

DSJR

Major Contributor
They do look incredibly old fashioned - ok, retro - (said by the bod who still holds a torch for 'old fashioned' 1990's ATC's).

I'd love to hear them though, as a 10" isn't going to be working as hard in the bass as a squitty little 5" or 6" will be and probably won't be as inclined to 'added warmth/blooooom' as a classic thin wall 2cu ported 8" can either, although there may be other design reasons for this tonality...

Sokel

Master Contributor
My money's on non-neutrality (sorry, character), and a disinterest in letting boys with Klippel toys get anywhere near.

We'll get a Stereophile review filled with poetry and backed by a measurement panel with a few dry comments papering over the discrepancies with the poetry, and overemphasising correlations.

Andrew Jones' name will only be mentioned 1.7 times per paragraph in association with marketing and advertising.
What's wrong with character if it's deliberate and warned about it?
Specially if that character follows a recipe that seems to be enjoyable and not too many people succeed to do it "properly".
I hate lying and false statements as much as everyone but if someone defends this castle honestly,well... who an I to judge taste?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Thanks for the white paper link, that's really interesting

Single column wide text, excessive paragraph spacing, title case headings and truly bizarre indents for the bullet points. Lines up against a KEF white paper like a relic. I mean I'd personally prefer they hadn't gone retro with the actual wooden box, but no matter, it likely works for the target demographic. I wonder if that's the case for the white paper as well?

sajgre

I'll just comment on the looks.. They are one of the best looking speakers out there imo. They would fit minimalistic room like mine or retro style room as well. I also think that genelec raw is timeless so I might be in a minority here

YSDR

In the white paper, it describe "Minimizing Movement, Not Bass"
However, 42 Hz from a 10 inch woofer,
I am not sure the design goal is fulfilled.
That depends on the goal. Probably they just traded the ultimate low-end extension for a higher overall sensitivity/efficiency.

soks

I got to listen to these speakers yesterday. I didn’t know anything about them when I went in. I found them to elicit considerable joy. I listen on the Elac DBR 6.2s at home, and these were like everything I like about that speaker and more - mostly the bass extension.

The room: maybe 12x12ish feet with minimal treatment. No photo unfortunately. Just a couple absorption panels in on the rear wall. Seated about 8 ft from the speakers and they were placed something like 8ish ft apart. Pulled reasonably far from the wall. So, overall not uncharacteristic to what most folks would actually achieve.

In the room, the vocals got a little shouty on some songs at higher volumes. At slightly lower volumes things were quite a bit better. The bass response was excellent in the smaller room, and the folks presenting said Andrew (who was there) has something like a 20x30 listening room where they typically extend even lower. I initially thought there was a sub or some room correction DSP going on but it was a “no” to both of those.

I heard a lot of speakers yesterday. Most of them were horrible. Seriously - you can discount for the room or placement or setup or source and at the end of the day they were just unpleasant. I don’t think a $60k speaker gets to be unpleasant. I know some are balking at the $3.7 price tag here. I was absolutely delighted when I heard them. They gave me everything I want when I enjoy music of all kinds. For the price, I think they’re a great option, though a bit high. Again, I love my Elacs and have not heard much that made me want to upgrade.

I’m going to listen again today, and am happy to return subjective assessments.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The design has some things going for it so i’m intrigued ?

Unusual set of compromises I actually like . For example not trying to achieve 20hz out of a 2 way but a rather reasonable f3 and letting the thing have a physical size. Getting good sensitivity in the process. A 2 way monitor needs a sub anyway or any speaker? So it’s fine with f3 at the 40 to 50 Hz range

Wonder if used with a subwoofer the large driver will make up for it not being a 3 way regarding IMD ? And in combination with subwoofer(s) you will have a reasonable system :) crossover at 80Hz for example.

Given ofcourse that the acoustical performance is not to messy .

nothingman

At that price they’re going to have to make a strong showing against the KEF R3, which has near concentric directivity and which takes care of the dynamics-vs-IMD issue by going three way and letting the 6.5in go as wild as it wants to, whereas the 10in of the MoFi needs to really restrain itself. Maybe a tie there in dynamics even with the surface area difference? I hope we’ll see from Amir or Erin. Stereophile measurements just don’t cut it anymore.

R3 is currently less than half the price and looks like half the size or even smaller. It’ll still be $1000 cheaper if/when they do the presumed Meta update. And they can sit on normal stands. I can’t see using the MoFi with anything other than expensive four-post stands, pushing things probably most of the way to $4250-4500.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At that price they’re going to have to make a strong showing against the KEF R3, which has near concentric directivity and which takes care of the dynamics-vs-IMD issue by going three way and letting the 6.5in go as wild as it wants to, whereas the 10in of the MoFi needs to really restrain itself. Maybe a tie there in dynamics even with the surface area difference? I hope we’ll see from Amir or Erin. Stereophile measurements just don’t cut it anymore.

R3 is currently less than half the price and looks like half the size or even smaller. It’ll still be $1000 cheaper if/when they do the presumed Meta update. And they can sit on normal stands. I can’t see using the MoFi with anything other than expensive four-post stands, pushing things probably most of the way to $4250-4500.
R series are on my shortlist already .

Will se what this MOFI speaker is when someone test it properly :)

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was impressed about his knoledge.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will see what this MOFI speaker is when someone test it properly :)
Yes, we will. I would rather hear them than "see" them, but yes measurements will show us more.
I got to listen to these speakers yesterday. I didn’t know anything about them when I went in. I found them to elicit considerable joy.
Thank you for the report. Interesting observations.
And for good reason. Andrew Jones has decades of experience and an excellent track record. I agree with your assessment that these speakers will be challenged in terms of measured performance. Getting a 10" diameter driver to blend well with a 1.25" dome is a hell of a challenge, but I am eager to hear what AJ was able to do, and sure I am curious about the measured performance as well. In that order.

HeadDoc12

I agree. MoFi sells vinyl and some vinyl-related hardware. They know their customers are mostly guys in their 60s or older who own one or more super-low-watt tube amps and read The Absolute Sound. Nothing wrong with that (well, just don't talk about it too much HERE), but perfect sound is not what they're after. So they throw an assload of money at probably the most well-known name among living speaker-designers and tell him to do whatever the hell he wants, just keep it under 5 grand, or whatever. Jones has hit a wall at Elac, and is probably a bit bored trying to think about the next iteration of the UniFi or Debut, and is excited for a challenge. Cut to now, and we have a speaker that may have overcome SOME of the engineering challenges of its configuration, but is clearly more focused on looks, nostalgia, and efficiency than the best sound for your dollar. I'm sure it sounds fine with the right analog equipment behind it, and might get some respect here for half the price. I will go out on a limb and say that Jones may be past his prime. I'm sure he's a great guy, a talented designer, and an important figure in the history of speaker development, but I am barely curious about this oddity. Active is the future, 100%.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will go out on a limb and say that Jones may be past his prime. I'm sure he's a great guy, a talented designer, and an important figure in the history of speaker development, but I am barely curious about this oddity. Active is the future, 100%.
Dude, that is harsh. I can say from personal experience that as an over 60 year old, I am past my prime in some areas and still improving in others. I don't think we should write off Mr. Jones just yet.

MoFi is just a marketing company. They will do what they will do.
... but I am barely curious about this oddity. Active is the future, 100%.
Curiosity keeps us young. ;)

As far as active speakers, all my systems are active, but they are freakish rarities. If you are thinking about the powered speakers from Sonos and all of those other network connected boxes and odd shapes from Devialet etc. you may have a point.

Newman

Major Contributor
SourcePoint 10
> SourcePoint 20
> SourcePoint 30
Dude, the ‘10’ is the driver size! :p

How about basing it on Mofi’s current naming (and feature) progressions?

SourcePoint 10
> UltraSourcePoint 10 (add OFC wiring)
> MasterSourcePoint 10 (add anti-vibration feet)
> Fender PrecisionSourcePoint 10 (add swamp ash finish)

We’ll all have our tongues hanging out for the next model….

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got to listen to these speakers yesterday. I didn’t know anything about them when I went in. I found them to elicit considerable joy. I listen on the Elac DBR 6.2s at home, and these were like everything I like about that speaker and more - mostly the bass extension.

The room: maybe 12x12ish feet with minimal treatment. No photo unfortunately. Just a couple absorption panels in on the rear wall. Seated about 8 ft from the speakers and they were placed something like 8ish ft apart. Pulled reasonably far from the wall. So, overall not uncharacteristic to what most folks would actually achieve.

In the room, the vocals got a little shouty on some songs at higher volumes. At slightly lower volumes things were quite a bit better. The bass response was excellent in the smaller room, and the folks presenting said Andrew (who was there) has something like a 20x30 listening room where they typically extend even lower. I initially thought there was a sub or some room correction DSP going on but it was a “no” to both of those.

I heard a lot of speakers yesterday. Most of them were horrible. Seriously - you can discount for the room or placement or setup or source and at the end of the day they were just unpleasant. I don’t think a $60k speaker gets to be unpleasant. I know some are balking at the $3.7 price tag here. I was absolutely delighted when I heard them. They gave me everything I want when I enjoy music of all kinds. For the price, I think they’re a great option, though a bit high. Again, I love my Elacs and have not heard much that made me want to upgrade.

I’m going to listen again today, and am happy to return subjective assessments.
mofi what you doing with these smurf accounts maaan

/jk

Top Bottom