• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

gwertheim

gwertheim

I think that the best thing you can do would be to buy the DX3pro from a reputable seller w/a legitimate return policy or perhaps from a Amazon seller that also allows returns. Get the unit, update the firmware if needed, tryout BT, etc and use the unit heavily for that 30 day window. It does seem like the unit is more reliable as a DAC only at this point if you have any concerns about longevity, but of course, ymmv.

Good Luck!

I am planning on using it as a dac and a amp since this would be my first piece of hi fi gear besides a pair of mee audio m6 pro 2nd gens (I live in Canada and anything like that for less than $100, I jump on).

I am planning on moving to a jds labs El stack but that will cost me more than $700 loonies so looking for a temporary cheaper option for the next couple of months and hopefully the dx3 or mx3 will do the trick.

Wolven

Approx how many hours of use? I plan on 'stress testing' mine before I decide to keep it (thinking maybe 100hrs with some cheap headphones at 10 hr intervals), I know JBL tests their monitors for 100 hrs at full power prior to releasing to market for QC, guessing/hoping that would be sufficient). My amazon return window would terminate after 30 days.

I would say 500 hours on, 300 hours actually playing, 20 hours driving headphones.
I think your planned stress test should be sufficient.

Wolven

USB connection? OS?

In Windows I always uncheck all of the USB Power Management boxes ...i.e. .... "Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" in device manager. There may be more than one place to uncheck boxes....

Not sure it will solve it.....

Thanks. My win7pro power saving settings are not on, except for some HDs. USB 3. Sometimes, minimal power fluctuation can turn unit off. However, I was looking at computer screen and there was no flicker. Ohh well, hopefully it will not happen again.

chrisliuboy

Thanks. My win7pro power saving settings are not on, except for some HDs. USB 3. Sometimes, minimal power fluctuation can turn unit off. However, I was looking at computer screen and there was no flicker. Ohh well, hopefully it will not happen again.
It's just random, hardware most likely. I was playing game and Youtube was playing in the background. Pepehands, win10

Rollingsound514

Forum Donor
Just got my second unit in the mail today. First one was black and had 1.04 hardware, this one is grey and came with 1.03

Funny thing I had the dx3 plugged and I was plugging in a usb cable to it (the usb cable wasn't attached to anything on the other end) and as I rub the end of the usb cable for a second against the back of the unit as I was plugging it in, there was a small electrical arc visible, like could be just static as it was tiny but made me have a small heart attack given how many people have had issues with this thing lol. So far works good.

This is my stress test plan, Kph30i into headphone jack 24/7 for a month when I'm not listening to it anyway. Beck on loop lol.

Z93jM7e.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3718

Reading about units dying and whatnot has got me concerned since I've bought a used one from a head-fi member. I would hate for it to suddenly stop working a month from now like others have experienced. Has anyone inspected the internals of the DX3 or taken pictures? I know with the Topping DX7s, units were dying because some chips did not have proper thermal relief. This could be resolved by applying thermal paste or a thermal pad between the chip and its corresponding heatsink. I wonder if this could be the case with the DX3. Just because the enclosure doesn't get warm or hot doesn't mean that chips aren't overheating inside. It appears Topping units aren't going through proper quality control in order to make units more affordable.

pejakovic1

Yep my unit randomly shut down a few times while playing music also. And i was actively doing stuff on pc at that time.

Klenfo

Has anyone inspected the internals of the DX3 or taken pictures? I know with the Topping DX7s, units were dying because some chips did not have proper thermal relief.
It would be great to check the heating of the internal components. Since we can stick heat sinks on the chips and rather easily eliminate this overheating problem if it exists. But the device's case is cold so it would be strange if the insides are hot.

bakker_be

I think it might be the supplied power supply brick honestly. Just my thought.
If the build quality of said brick is similar to the EU-plug adapter delivered with it I'd venture you're probably right. That part has already disintegrated, even leaving one of its pins in the outlet when unplugging it to check why my DX3 wouldn't power up. Had a universal adapter lying around, switched it in, bingo, powering up again

SiW

Mine did some random brief clicking / muting from my iPhone last night connected by usb. The screen was on and charging so think it was the iPhone dimming the screen etc.

Was fine on Bluetooth.

Sounds great on my Beyer DT990 Editions :)

Stein

If the build quality of said brick is similar to the EU-plug adapter delivered with it I'd venture you're probably right. That part has already disintegrated, even leaving one of its pins in the outlet when unplugging it to check why my DX3 wouldn't power up. Had a universal adapter lying around, switched it in, bingo, powering up again
Do you think replacing the power brick would help for an unit that got stuck in standby mode?

bakker_be

Do you think replacing the power brick would help for an unit that got stuck in standby mode?
I honestly have no idea at all. If you need to buy one to test this I'd say don't, try to get warranty working for you. If you have a fitting one, it can't do any harm to try ...

Stein

I honestly have no idea at all. If you need to buy one to test this I'd say don't, try to get warranty working for you. If you have a fitting one, it can't do any harm to try ...

Ah, okay. I've no 15V1A adapters around, so I can't really test if it's the power brick failing. However, I'm in the process of claiming my warranty right now; it's a very slow and arduous process.

Last edited:

bleachershane

For all the people having random shut downs, are you all on Windows? Are you plugged into a USB2 or USB3 socket?

Gathering up info like that helps with working out the potential causes? I never plug USB2 devices into USB3 sockets as 1) there is absolutely no benefit whatsoever in doing so and 2) I've found quirky incompatibilities with devices that run perfectly in a USB2 socket and not when plugged into a USB3 socket.

I'm in the process of debating with myself as to whether I replace the cheapo switchmode wallwart supply for a linear one. Just purely for better build and possible reliability.

Veri

Master Contributor
Gathering up info like that helps with working out the potential causes? I never plug USB2 devices into USB3 sockets as 1) there is absolutely no benefit whatsoever in doing so and 2) I've found quirky incompatibilities with devices that run perfectly in a USB2 socket and not when plugged into a USB3 socket.

Honestly a lot of people with USB-3 supporting laptops only have USB-3 anyway. I use usb-c to usb adapter with my DX3 and no quirks whatsoever but then again I've had no issues with my device so far, in the first place.

simonchretien

Just started using my DX3, so far I love it. Is there a way to disable that damn flashing heaphone light? It's really annoying having this flash in my peripheral vision lol.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Mine arrived about 7 weeks waiting. All kinds of distortion as the 2.5mm jack doesn't mate properly with the stock 2.5mm connector on my HE4xx. This is exasperating.

Top Bottom