• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full range floorstanders ~$4000 budget

OP
pseudoid

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope these PSB Passif50s that are called "Standmount Loudspeakers" do not become contentious.
202211_PSB-Passif50-.jpg

Price is $2500 (pair) w/on-axis FR is claimed to be 50Hz-20kHz (+3dB)...
Got WAF!:)

OP
pseudoid

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

amper42

Major Contributor
Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweeter would be on my list along with BMR Towers. The Sierra Towers are one of my favorites. These speakers are awesome. I love the natural bamboo finish and the sound is fantastic. It's one of the few towers I own that I can pickup by myself. :D

rtowerntpair.png

Last edited:

donbernhardo

I just recently bought a pair of Elac Vela 407 and think they are amazing for sub 4k. The amount of low end extension coming out of these relatively small floor standers is unexpected. Something you would only think possible with some serious DSP wizardry but this is a passive speaker. The build quality and finish is stellar - made in germany.
Vela407.jpg

Last edited:
OP
pseudoid

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Based on @MKR post for "Full range floorstanders ~1500 budget" with 9 pages of suggestions for that category; I thought to start another similar thread but with a bump in price to $4000/pair
Currently, I have no need for replacement speakers but I am hoping that we can all chip in and provide suggestions for those that may be in the hunt:).

I am on my 3rd set of Vandersteen's 2Cs and they have become like the proverbial family pet.
When an improved Vandy 2C model comes out, I sell my older pair on craigslist and buy a replacement pair.

I hope this thread becomes useful for others.
Cheers!
What do you consider full range? Many consider f3 in the mid low 30hz range full range as that covers most all music, except pipe organ and electronic. Getting true 20hz performance with $4k is darn near impossible unless you consider used.

delta76

Major Contributor
You don't buy 948 for more than 2000 eur per pair. just don't :)
just to make myself clear. 948 is a good speaker. I own a pair so I'm heavily biased. If it can compete with other speakers under $4000 range, I don't know (it sells for $6000-7000 in the US so I guess it does?). But in EU you can buy it for less than 2000 EUR. ~1500 if you are patient.

Alexium

But they are still not floorstanders. Personally I don't like the idea of bookshelf speakers used on stands because they are wasting useful space where could be speaker boxes (like a larger box) but there is just stands.
I've had the exact same view, but having used floorstanders for a few years, I came around. Now I favor bookshelves.
1. You still need a sub for proper low end, even with very capable floorstanders. Mine go pretty low (in the 25 Hz region) and loud enough, but a cheap sub was a big improvement. Flexibility of placing the sub in the right spot is crucial.
2. Bookshelves are easier to handle, easier to buy, easier to sell.
3. For the same price, you are potentially getting less wood / veneer and more sound quality.

The only downside is having to buy stands, which I view as wasted money for the exact same reason you outlined, but still. But maybe you actually do happen have a TV stand or a dresser or some other furniture to put them on in the appropriate location.

Last edited:

UltraNearFieldJock

The only downside is having to buy stands, which I view as wasted money for the exact same reason you outlined, but still.
I also prefer the bookshelves (closed, active, DSP). You can make a modular system, and instead of stands, you place under the bookshelves the base-modules or subwoofers, and you have a "modular-floor-standers", like me (I made small alu-stands to have the right height of tweeters):
DSC06582.JPG

Last edited:

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I also prefer the bookshelves (closed, active, DSP). You can make a modular system, and instead of stands, you place under the bookshelves the base-modules or subwoofers, and you have a "modular-floor-standers", like me (I made a small alu-stands to have the right height of tweeters):
View attachment 243362
What are the speakers for that are inside your cabinet?

Alexium

you place under the bookshelves the base-modules or subwoofers, and you have a "modular-floor-standers"
Yes, I thought of that, but then you might want to experiment with subwoofer placement, and will most likely find that the best placement for the subs is not coincident with the speaker stands.

That's a nice rack! What's in the middle of the rightmost stack, is that FM radio? Pioneer?
I love your aluminium stands, too.

UltraNearFieldJock

What are the speakers for that are inside your cabinet?
These boxes are (for me exceptionally) not DIY, and the setup is more than 7 years old. The bookshelves are Abacus A10 (closed, active, DSP) - they take care of 120-12k Hz. On are the Tannoy Super-Tweeter ST-100 for >12k Hz. Underneath are the A.T.C. ATL3 subwoofers for 30-120Hz (closed, active, and regulated - the German specialty from (RIP) Klaus Gruber - the German subwoofer/acoustics guru - the best, the oldest, and probably most expensive piece of my audio gears). I think the speakers from Abacus are Visaton, and from A.T.C. I've forgotten, but I can check it. There are also for <30 Hz some special DIY-subs.

Last edited:

UltraNearFieldJock

That's a nice rack! What's in the middle of the rightmost stack, is that FM radio? Pioneer?
I love your aluminium stands, too.
Thanks! Yes, it's a Pioneer FM radio. Sorry, the photo is circa 6 years old! I shall make a new one. The radio and the SONY cassette deck is now connected to my UNF-setup1 (link below). Sometimes I use one or the other, not only for fun :).

UltraNearFieldJock

Can't resist asking -what else could you use them for in 2022, if not for fun?
I think, it's now right off-topic. But you are right, all radio stations and millions of music-pieces are now available digital on demand. There is a kind of nostalgia, to listen to the old cassettes and radio broadcast fully analog, with perhaps a lot of quality decrease. For me to play (and care for) with the old gears is a part of the play, the same, perhaps, that many of ASR-er do with LP's and turntables?

Last edited:
Top Bottom