• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I tested with an ARC extractor. So I took the HDMI (ARC) output of my TV into the ARC extractor, then the optical output from the ARC extractor into the D30 Pro optical input. It behaves exactly the same as when connected to the optical output of the TV -- the D30 Pro displays the sample rate when connected ("48" on the screen) but does not play any audio. I also tested co-ax from the ARC extractor to the D30 Pro with the same result.

This is the result I expected. I expect inside the TV the same audio stream is fed to the optical output and the ARC. So I expect any timing/jitter problems that affect one to affect the other equally. If the D30 Pro cannot "lock on" to the timing of one it will not be able to lock on to the other either.

Sadly this means the D30 Pro is being returned. I'm going to order a Topping EX5 Topping E70 instead.
This appears to be a D30 that is defective, i.e. it is precisely your copy that is wrong. I myself and others who have experienced the problem with the D30 SPDIF input have heard sound, but it chops and cannot be listened to. But I have not heard before that there was no sound at all. It's also the first time I've seen the problem occur with a TV. All previous reports of this problem have only involved CD players.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This appears to be a D30 that is defective, i.e. it is precisely your copy that is wrong. I myself and others who have experienced the problem with the D30 SPDIF input have heard sound, but it chops and cannot be listened to. But I have not heard before that there was no sound at all. It's also the first time I've seen the problem occur with a TV. All previous reports of this problem have only involved CD players.
I was thinking that as well. Has it been tested with another source?

Yes I have tested the D30 Pro with the optical output of a Google Chromecast Audio. Works perfectly. I also tested it with USB audio from a laptop - again works well. I've tested the TV optical output with a Beresford DAC (in fact this has been in use for >10 years) and again it works well.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I have tested the D30 Pro with the optical output of a Google Chromecast Audio. Works perfectly. I also tested it with USB audio from a laptop - again works well. I've tested the TV optical output with a Beresford DAC (in fact this has been in use for >10 years) and again it works well.
Well then. There is a mismatch between your TV output and the D30. I hope the E70 works. Please let us know.

Toku

Major Contributor
Yes, I tried to explain in my original post: I've used the TV's optical output with a Beresford TC-7520 DAC for many years without issue. The Beresford is quite happy with the TV's output, the D30 Pro is not.
The same question has been posted on the forums many times before.
Recent products such as Topping and SMSL strictly regulate the quality of S/PDIF signals that can be connected to ensure high sound quality.
Therefore, it may not be possible to connect some S/PDIF signals (OPT/COAX) of old or cheap products.
In particular, there are many reports on the S/PDIF output of old CD players and Korean TVs.
SMSL's recent offerings have added DPLL functionality to reduce the acceptable level of signal quality to avoid complaints caused by these S/PDIF signals.
A higher DPLL number will allow you to connect with lower quality S/PDIF signals.
Unfortunately, Topping's products do not have this feature.

Saponetto

At the end of the day, several devices (TV sets, BT receivers, smartboxes, also mini-PCs...) fits quite well the s/pdif requirements of the D30Pro, and some cd transport also does their job, either if coax or optically plugged.
Other devices simply doesn't, therefore i agree at all with @Toku assessment.
It seems to be a collateral effect of Topping's quest for higher instrumental performances.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It seems to be a collateral effect of Topping's quest for higher instrumental performances.
It is the effect of the AKM fire and therefor the regular AKM chip they use no longer being available.

Saponetto

It is the effect of the AKM fire and therefor the regular AKM chip they use no longer being available.
Exact.
With the available chips Topping built a DAC with fine performances, at an unavoidable cost in terms of overall reliability.
Anyway, I still love it. :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Cool!! Mirrored it here:

0TEMB2L.png

thdny

I have LG OLED65C8PUA and have been testing multiple topping dacs. First started with E50 and really liked it until I started to notice the stutters.
E30II - No stutter but I prefer the sound of ESS chips. (2xAK4493S)
E50 - Stutter (ES9068AS)
DX7 - Stutter more frequent than E50 (ES9038PRO)
E70 - Stutter with the default settings. more frequent than E50 similar to DX7 (ES9028PRO) No stutter when using synchronous mode though. Unfortunately, the other DACs do not expose this setting. I looked at the chipset documentation and ESS seems to provide this feature.

I am using NAD C 356DAC amplifier with a DAC module. I think it has burr brown on it. The difference between the built-in DAC and the topping DACs is quite noticeable but it's not like listening to a different pair of speakers. I would say Burr Brown has more isolated frequency ranges (vocals for example) and topping has more controlled bass. (Not sure which one is better) Though the output levels of NAD and toppings might not be the same, I might be hearing that level difference. Between the toppings DACs, E30 has a slightly different sound and this is probably due to the chipset. I was not able to notice any difference between E50/DX7/E70 and I don't think that the better specs these models have can be heard by the human ear.

Toku

Major Contributor
I have LG OLED65C8PUA and have been testing multiple topping dacs. First started with E50 and really liked it until I started to notice the stutters.
E30II - No stutter but I prefer the sound of ESS chips. (2xAK4493S)
E50 - Stutter (ES9068AS)
DX7 - Stutter more frequent than E50 (ES9038PRO)
E70 - Stutter with the default settings. more frequent than E50 similar to DX7 (ES9028PRO) No stutter when using synchronous mode though. Unfortunately, the other DACs do not expose this setting. I looked at the chipset documentation and ESS seems to provide this feature.

I am using NAD C 356DAC amplifier with a DAC module. I think it has burr brown on it. The difference between the built-in DAC and the topping DACs is quite noticeable but it's not like listening to a different pair of speakers. I would say Burr Brown has more isolated frequency ranges (vocals for example) and topping has more controlled bass. (Not sure which one is better) Though the output levels of NAD and toppings might not be the same, I might be hearing that level difference. Between the toppings DACs, E30 has a slightly different sound and this is probably due to the chipset. I was not able to notice any difference between E50/DX7/E70 and I don't think that the better specs these models have can be heard by the human ear.
That problem when connecting with LG products has already been reported and discussed many times. The cause is in the standard and quality of the audio output on the LG side. Originally, LG's products do not seem to be premised on the connection of pure 2ch stereo signals for audio DACs.
(Amount of jitter, problem with Dolby DTS signal in audio output)

Last edited:

thdny

I think this is more of a compatibility problem that can be also fixed on the DAC side. Even SU-6 gives this option (I haven't tested this DAC yet)
https://www.smsl-audio.com/upload/portal/download/SU6Manual.pdf page-18
DPLL: When the clock stability of the input signal is not good, the sound may be interupted. Increase this value can avoid the sound interruption! Especially when using TV as signal source!

Toku

Major Contributor
I think this is more of a compatibility problem that can be also fixed on the DAC side. Even SU-6 gives this option (I haven't tested this DAC yet)
https://www.smsl-audio.com/upload/portal/download/SU6Manual.pdf page-18
DPLL: When the clock stability of the input signal is not good, the sound may be interupted. Increase this value can avoid the sound interruption! Especially when using TV as signal source!
The SMSL Group has received many complaints about this problem, so we have added a DPLL function to our recent products to handle various jitter characteristics. However, if you loosen the setting, the sound quality will deteriorate. Topping does not have a function like DPLL in their products.
This issue has been reported with a focus on LG and Samsung products

Veri

Master Contributor
So the E70 works well for you then? Also you posted this in the D30 Pro forum, do you also have that one or?

ArturoKiwi

I had a smsl M500, connected to optical out of my Hisense tv, no problem at all.
Connected to the optical out of Ma friend's Samsung tv the audio sometimes was "stuttering".
I think it is a tv problem too. I think Toku is right

Top Bottom