• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wood acoustic diffusers have become a decorative item - loved the idea!

MCH

Major Contributor
All the diffusion I have seen so far are abysmally thin. little disappointing.

I'm thinking of building one out of Lego in our living room, my partner is a Lego geek and the 1 cm wide blocks allow for diffusion up to 20KHz, I hear up to 16KHz and he up to 14KHz so I might just save myself the time and do 2 cm wide blocks (up to 10KHz Diffusion).
Lego seems like ideal, it also has the advantage of allowing easy desassembling-reassembling if you are not satisfied with the result. I just wonder how the finished thing looks like to non Lego fans...
Anyways, are you aware of bigger Lego blocks or those you mention are the best choice? I remember my kid used to play with Legos for small children that are much bigger but I can't remember how well they fit or if it is possible to combine them with the standard ones.
Edit: Lego Duplo it is called and the can be combined with the classic ones
200px-Old_duplo_bricks.jpg

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Lego seems like ideal, it also has the advantage of allowing easy desassembling-reassembling if you are not satisfied with the result. I just wonder how the finished thing looks like to non Lego fans...
Anyways, are you aware of bigger Lego blocks or those you mention are the best choice? I remember my kid used to play with Legos for small children that are much bigger but I can't remember how well they fit or if it is possible to combine them with the standard ones.
Duplo should work for a bigger version and a faster build.

With Lego prices though, it's not going to be cheap. You may want to go for the cheap knock-offs ;)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Edit: Lego Duplo it is called
you need to determine the wells width and height based on what range you're planning to diffuse, so I can't really comment on what is ideal because it's you who has to decide.

Reactions: MCH

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Generic colored bricks go for like 1 cent or 3 cents a piece, would be way cheaper than anything that requires wood or workers.
Let's see? a 2x2 brick is 16x16x10 mm. For a diffusor that is 100x50 cm average height of 30 cm, you'll need about 30000 bricks. That's still € 300 if you can get them for 1 cent a-pop. Not too bad actually.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's see? a 2x2 brick is 16x16x10 mm. For a diffusor that is 100x50 cm average height of 30 cm, you'll need about 30000 bricks. That's still € 300 if you can get them for 1 cent a-pop. Not too bad actually.
oei! Average height of 30 cm is insane for a domestic setting! (there will be wells extending a full 60 cm from the wall) but yeah I guess the math checks out.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
oei! Average height of 30 cm is insane for a domestic setting! (there will be wells extending a full 60 cm from the wall) but yeah I guess the math checks out.
Yup, half would be okay as well I guess. That's quite a good budget for such a thing.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I think this is a very interesting thread!

Building your own acoustic diffusers seems like a good solution, if you have the time and opportunity to do so. Lots of good tips in the thread!:)

Speaking of Legos. If diffusers are to be built with Lego take the opportunity to build a little extra while you're at it. It might also be a fun project to do together with your children, or if you are older with your grandchildren:

Reactions: MCH

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Duplo should work for a bigger version and a faster build.

With Lego prices though, it's not going to be cheap. You may want to go for the cheap knock-offs ;)

Building a diffuser with duplo has been done before. I've seen it been used in the studio of Wintergatan, designed by ID-Acoustics. You can see it in this video below at 11:30 mark.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seeking practical rules of thumb...

Is it still generally advised to aim for live end - dead end?

I.e. Absorption at the speaker wall end of the room and diffusion at the listener end?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the design Joe Pittman came up with, he posted a PDF in the second post of this thread:

Simple and clean, and if you need more you can still address it as he did at the first reflection points.
It is not related to diffusion though.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All???

kach22i

It is not related to diffusion though.
A direct quote from the PDF.

Diffusion At The First and Second Reflection Point There are sidewall reflecƟons (leŌ and right side) which can blur the direct sound from the loudspeakers. I prefer not to absorb the reflected sound, but to re-direct it. And I want the area to be as reflecƟve as the surrounding area. So I use my KOSMIC AcousƟc panels which are made from solid maple to diffuse the sound at the first and second side wall reflecƟon points. You hear an equal amount of reflected sound from the area, but all of the sound is from reflecƟons greater than 20ms and don’t blur the direct sound.

kach22i

I'm thinking of building one out of Lego in our living room, my partner is a Lego geek and the 1 cm wide blocks allow for diffusion up to 20KHz, I hear up to 16KHz and he up to 14KHz so I might just save myself the time and do 2 cm wide blocks (up to 10KHz Diffusion).
I've been impressed by how deep some of them have been.

A few things I've posted in the forum before - just for fun:

index.php

index.php

index.php

Yes, most of these experiments are just mockups, and will be made out of wood in the future.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom