• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 47.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.7%

• Total voters
I prefer the Fire 7" tablet anyhow but mine's 5th gen and two of the apk's hung at installing (no DONE) but Play seemed to work fine. The instructions warn about the latest (12th gen?) having problems with Play. Has anyone had success loading Wiim Home for a previous gen Fire 7"?

Brantome

Major Contributor
I prefer the Fire 7" tablet anyhow but mine's 5th gen and two of the apk's hung at installing (no DONE) but Play seemed to work fine. The instructions warn about the latest (12th gen?) having problems with Play. Has anyone had success loading Wiim Home for a previous gen Fire 7"?
Isn’t that around 7 years old and based on Android 5? You might be pushing your luck getting any recent app to run on that I would have thought.

Isn’t that around 7 years old and based on Android 5? You might be pushing your luck getting any recent app to run on that I would have thought.
I'd be willing to buy a more recent Fire 7" if I knew it was guranteed to run Wiim Home!

Brantome

Major Contributor
I’ve also got it working on my Fire HD 8 (8th gen) and Fire HD 10 plus (11th gen). The o/s versions can be found here https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G2JXLC4L34GX73TE and this is a good and easy guide to setting up the Google Play Store from where you can instal the WiiM Home app
(you can stop after the Play Store is installed and ignore the rest about Google classroom etc).
OK, I prefer the Fire 7", it fits in the palm of your hand. If a late gen Fire 7" has the same OS version as a Fire 8 HD 2020 or Fire HD 8 (8th gen) and Fire HD 10 plus (11th gen), then Wiim Home stands a better chance of working?

Brantome

Major Contributor
OK, I prefer the Fire 7", it fits in the palm of your hand. If a late gen Fire 7" has the same OS version as a Fire 8 HD 2020 or Fire HD 8 (8th gen) and Fire HD 10 plus (11th gen), then Wiim Home stands a better chance of working?
Yes, I’d say so. Fire Os versions aren’t always based on the most recent versions of Android, but if they have the same underlying version, it should be fine.
I’d hold off a week or so with Black Friday coming up - there’s bound to be a good deal on Fire tablets.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just had success installing WiiM Home on a Lenovo M7 tablet, which runs Android Go. I prefer my Lenovo M7 to my Fire 7 7th Generation. You might want to give that tablet a try.

imral3

The 8HD display is light-years better than the 7... even if for only controlling the Wiim.

dn000

I purchased the wiim streamer and fire HD10+ for guests to control playback, then I realized manually queuing songs isn't possible on the Amazon music app with fire hd. Settled for 24/96 with apple music and Chromecast + USB dac.

wacomme

I purchased the wiim streamer and fire HD10+ for guests to control playback, then I realized manually queuing songs isn't possible on the Amazon music app with fire hd. Settled for 24/96 with apple music and Chromecast + USB dac.
With this setup, are you getting lossless audio? I ask because I'm trying to create an easy-to-use setup at work. My work heavily controls the internet and my work PC. I'm able to stream music through my iPhone to a camera adapter to a Qudelix 5K to my Senn HD560s headphones. It's good lossless music. However, I'm concerned that over time the lightning connector to my iPhone will wear out. Thus, I'd like to eliminate that connection, yet still have lossless music. I'm trying to find a good working, inexpensive solution. I can readily use my iPhone as a wifi hotspot if needed; my work wifi is controlled and won't allow streaming music.

Is there a way I can use the Wiim streamer to make this happen? Is there a better solution? Also, if possible, I'd like to use EQ. So, can I connect the Wiim streamer to the Qudelix and somehow control it (not bluetooth) from my phone?

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
With this setup, are you getting lossless audio? I ask because I'm trying to create an easy-to-use setup at work. My work heavily controls the internet and my work PC. I'm able to stream music through my iPhone to a camera adapter to a Qudelix 5K to my Senn HD560s headphones. It's good lossless music. However, I'm concerned that over time the lightning connector to my iPhone will wear out. Thus, I'd like to eliminate that connection, yet still have lossless music. I'm trying to find a good working, inexpensive solution. I can readily use my iPhone as a wifi hotspot if needed; my work wifi is controlled and won't allow streaming music.

Is there a way I can use the Wiim streamer to make this happen? Is there a better solution? Also, if possible, I'd like to use EQ. So, can I connect the Wiim streamer to the Qudelix and somehow control it (not bluetooth) from my phone?
The WiiM mini doesn’t have a usb audio connection, nor does your DAC have an Optical input that I can see. You could perhaps use the WiiM’s analogue out if your DAC has an analogue in, but that would be using the WiiM’s internal DAC, then your DAC’s ADC circuitry to then pass to its DAC - messy and potentially pointless. The WiiM mini needs wifi which I guess you might get from your phone’s hotspot, but then you’d need another phone/tablet to run the WiiM app since your phone would then effectively be your router…
A rather long and rambling way of saying I don’t think so…

wacomme

The WiiM mini doesn’t have a usb audio connection, nor does your DAC have an Optical input that I can see. You could perhaps use the WiiM’s analogue out if your DAC has an analogue in, but that would be using the WiiM’s internal DAC, then your DAC’s ADC circuitry to then pass to its DAC - messy and potentially pointless. The WiiM mini needs wifi which I guess you might get from your phone’s hotspot, but then you’d need another phone/tablet to run the WiiM app since your phone would then effectively be your router…
A rather long and rambling way of saying I don’t think so…
Thanks for the explanation.

Would you mind letting us know which Chromecast & which USB DAC? What is used to display your music selections & menus?

dustinyo

Just have to chime in and say I just got a Wiim Mini (on sale for $79 on Amazon right now https://smile.amazon.com/WiiM-Mini-Multiroom-Preamplifier-Assistants/dp/B09HC5GRKY/)

This is honestly one of the best value devices I have in my audio setup, super impressive amount this little thing can do for $80, and there's still more to come (Roon, cloud storage playback, MQA, Pandora, etc. https://wiimhome.com/Roadmap) I sincerely hope Amir gives this another review when Roon support is released, I think this should definitely be recommended.

I'm considering using this as a preamp for my turntable. Right now I'm using an Aiyima A07 for an amp, and having remote control of the volume would be nice to have. Anybody tried this?

Also, I realize the Pro is about to be released, I will likely be getting that as well. These units seem well suited for multi-room audio, so having multiple units seems like a nice problem to have. With RCA in and out, and a remote, the Pro will definitely be my preamp once that arrives.

Last edited:
Weird that the app doesn’t work on your Chromebooks. It installed on mine without complaining. Maybe try side-loading the apk from a safe repository, or open a ticket with WiiM asking them to support your Chromebook.

As our present EOL Chromebooks (CB) were not compatible with Wiim Home I purchased a new CB (Acer Spin 311 R721T). It's on the Wiki list of Android approved CBs. It too shows incompatibility when I try to install from the Google Play Store. Is there any CB preparatory (settings, apps) work required before I install Wiim Home?
I could find nothing about this online ANYWHERE.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
24-bit measurement from LMS server->UPnP->WiFi->WiiM Mini->Optical out->RME ADI-2 DAC FS Optical In->RME ADI-2 DAC FS USB Out->Sox capture->REW

R wiim_24bit_no_eq.wav.png

Top Bottom