• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full range floorstanders ~$1500 budget

Bren Derlin

you could trim some more off that by getting an rsl speedwoofer rather than the rel as well ,depending of course on how much you want the name brand( rel) vs just a good competent sub for a small room...

You can literally do whatever you want. ...You could get $400 Wharfdale speakers as well. Or inexpensive monolith B6 Bookshelf speakers if you're anti-name brand.

I love my Rel HT1003. No regrets, regardless if something is less expensive.

Last edited:

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can literally do whatever you want. ...You could get $400 Wharfdale speakers as well. Or inexpensive monolith B6 Bookshelf speakers if you're anti-name brand.

I love my Rel HT1003. No regrets, regardless if something is less expensive.
the rel is fine:) , but , imo-ymmv there is no real difference in performance between a rel and a like (or lesser ) priced budget sub like rsl or svs , rythmik or hsu..i'm sure the rel is fine , i'd bet the rsl performs as well at 70% of the price....so no, i'm not a "brand name" hater: rsl , svs , hsu and ryhmik are all brand names ...

Bren Derlin

If there's no real difference between the REL and the others, then I don't see the point.

The RSL that I saw costs $450. I only paid $500 for my REL - which is still on sale for $500. Math is math.

SVS's least expensive sub is on sale for $450. Everything else you listed is more expensive than the Rel.

If you're all about pinching $$$, get a Jamo for $200.

JohnnyNG

I think you're gonna be happy as a clam. There is some magic about the way these compression drivers powerfully, yet gently push out audio. It's hard to describe. I think the only technical flaw of these speakers is the top mid/woofer being in-set and not flush with the cabinet. I'm sure the horizontal directivity suffers around 500Hz-1.5KHz as a result, but not enough to displease me. I believe we are most sensitive to side-wall reflections from 1-4KHz, so again, it shouldn't matter much. I can't wait to hear your impressions.

My nearfield (~2inch) measurements of the 590.
View attachment 241116
How deep do they go in your room? Very intrigued by these despite the fact they'd be comically large in my room.

fieldcar

How deep do they go in your room? Very intrigued by these despite the fact they'd be comically large in my room.
With the room gain being very "kind", it extends down to 30Hz as shown in post #139 , but I cross them over at 80Hz to keep the distortion below 1% as my system is pulling double duty for music and movies. Luckily Denon's direct mode just runs the front pair raw with the push of a button.

Don't read too much into this. I can't recall the exact recording distance, SPL, and specifics. This is a measurement with only the LF binding posts used.
1667593545265.jpeg

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stay away from the JBL 590s unless you plan to use some sort of automatic EQ like Audyssey XT32 (there's no way I could stand them without response correction) and even then, they do not play very low (if they can't play low in a cabinet that large, there's no reason for them to take up that much space). I bought a set and returned them, and I'm a huge JBL fan. My music system also has a set of JBL PT800/PS1400

I think it depends what you are used to. They cannot compare the PS1400, but they certainly hold their own against 12" woofers and the like. The size is really about the horn as well.

I think the only technical flaw of these speakers is the top mid/woofer being in-set and not flush with the cabinet. I'm sure the horizontal directivity suffers around 500Hz-1.5KHz as a result, but not enough to displease me. I believe we are most sensitive to side-wall reflections from 1-4KHz, so again, it shouldn't matter much. I can't wait to hear your impressions.

Agreed. @AudioLover73 didn't have a good experience with his 590's but I genuinely think they were one of the best speakers at any price point. The main issue for me was just structural. (that they're top heavy and didn't build the cabinet with convenient anchoring points).

The 590s are a 2.5 way design, so if you measure the woofers separately you will get different results.

tw 2022

If there's no real difference between the REL and the others, then I don't see the point.

The RSL that I saw costs $450. I only paid $500 for my REL - which is still on sale for $500. Math is math.

SVS's least expensive sub is on sale for $450. Everything else you listed is more expensive than the Rel.

If you're all about pinching $$$, get a Jamo for $200.
Not trying to start an argument here, i just pointed out there are other great sub options well below the *$600* price you originally quoted, some folks do have a hard cap...like i said i'm sure the rel is fine, but until you show me some data that shows it's better , like low freq -3 db point or bigger driver where's the advantage?. I didn't start talking ultra budget subs like jamo, that was something you projected... The rsl and svs are fine options , that's my assessment , the end....Btw, i never even mentioned there are great speaker stands ( like monolith) out there at $100 a pair....that's another place to trim some fat...

Last edited:
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
@MKR what is your update?
@GXAlan Delivery delayed (weather) … supposed to be delivered tomorrow, I believe it when I see it. Being shipped by Old Dominion which is definitely not the best logistics company. Don’t worry, I will absolutely update y’all as soon as I am running some tunes

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
UPDATE
The 590s arrived (very good packing, impressive). Haven't fired them up yet, will do that tonight. These things are BIG! Wow ... My wife was a bit shell-shocked LOL ... But she didn't leave me, so i am good, I think.

Note as these were refurbished, I did a quick "quality" scan and there are some small scratches here and there, but overall cosmetically they are good. BUT ... Looking through the rear ports, on one speaker the baffling has actually come away from the inner wall of the speaker and is blocking the rear of the 8" drivers :( ... Not sure how this will affect the sound, but can't be good. Maybe this is why they went back for "refurbishment" but was missed and they never actually got fixed. No idea how i will fix this, guess I will have to remove the 8" drivers and go in that way and play the "surgery" game, try to affix the baffling to the speaker wall. Disappointing, hopefully this is the only issue with the speakers. Really don't feel like returning these behemoths.

Will provide another update later tonight (with listening impressions) and a pic of the displaced baffling

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
UPDATE
The 590s arrived (very good packing, impressive). Haven't fired them up yet, will do that tonight. These things are BIG! Wow ... My wife was a bit shell-shocked LOL ... But she didn't leave me, so i am good, I think.

Note as these were refurbished, I did a quick "quality" scan and there are some small scratches here and there, but overall cosmetically they are good. BUT ... Looking through the rear ports, on one speaker the baffling has actually come away from the inner wall of the speaker and is blocking the rear of the 8" drivers :( ... Not sure how this will affect the sound, but can't be good. Maybe this is why they went back for "refurbishment" but was missed and they never actually got fixed. No idea how i will fix this, guess I will have to remove the 8" drivers and go in that way and play the "surgery" game, try to affix the baffling to the speaker wall. Disappointing, hopefully this is the only issue with the speakers. Really don't feel like returning these behemoths.

Will provide another update later tonight (with listening impressions) and a pic of the displaced baffling

Harman customer service is usually pretty good. They can ship you another and interestingly, when I returned my speakers, it went normal UPS Ground instead of freight. They may swap in a non refurb one, or even give you a discount if your fix is perfect.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Harman customer service is usually pretty good. They can ship you another and interestingly, when I returned my speakers, it went normal UPS Ground instead of freight. They may swap in a non refurb one, or even give you a discount if your fix is perfect.
Good to know, thanks ... Will contact Harman and ask them how they prefer I proceed before I start surgery on the speaker and break something

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Ok, so finally got the 590s fired up. My very subjective opinion … First, I am stunned by the sound coming out of these speakers. I simply did not expect this level of sonic performance from $760 speakers. I have heard many systems in my audiophile days, including the megabuck stuff, and these 590s hold their own. I am driving them with nothing more than an old Onkyo receiver (albeit a nice one, with high current discrete amp channels, 80W into 8 ohms) and I can easily drive the 590s to ear splitting levels, with no discernible distortion. Clean, crisp, and smooth. So clean that I had to be careful about the volume level, far too easy to approach hearing damage levels when the sound is this free of distortion. The LF output is substantial, I see no need for a sub in my room, as I had hoped. Soundstage is wide and deep.

Note these speakers are very transparent. If it’s a bad recording, you will know very quickly. If a good recording, it’s glorious. Note I am using an older (very nice) Sony CD player as a source.

If I have any complaint, it’s the imaging. Always seemed smeared to one side, regardless of the recording. But, I suspect this is not the speakers, but the setup, placement, and room. Again, some tweaking will likely fix this.

Now I just need to figure out the baffle issue. Pic below. If it affected the sound I certainly didn’t hear it, but it is bugging me for sure. Will contact Harman to tomorrow.

That’s it for now folks, more to come later as I get things dialed in. But wow, just wow. These are an absolute steal at the refurb price. I would even say worth full retail of $2k. To all the folks that recommended the 590s, thank you!

Attachments

• 4FFC7FF5-FD11-42E5-B784-899940810F39.jpeg
    4FFC7FF5-FD11-42E5-B784-899940810F39.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

DMill

Now I just need to figure out the baffle issue. Pic below. If it affected the sound I certainly didn’t hear it, but it is bugging me for sure. Will contact Harman to tomorrow.
Sounds like you made a good purchase. Definitely, I would want that port fixed. As others have mentioned Harman is typically very good. Who knows they may even send you another and not even bother with requiring a return of the damaged item

Reactions: MKR

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, so finally got the 590s fired up. My very subjective opinion … First, I am stunned by the sound coming out of these speakers. I simply did not expect this level of sonic performance from $760 speakers. I have heard many systems in my audiophile days, including the megabuck stuff, and these 590s hold their own. I am driving them with nothing more than an old Onkyo receiver (albeit a nice one, with high current discrete amp channels, 80W into 8 ohms) and I can easily drive the 590s to ear splitting levels, with no discernible distortion. Clean, crisp, and smooth. So clean that I had to be careful about the volume level, far to easy to approach hearing damage levels when the sound is this free of distortion. The LF output is substantial, I see no need for a sub in my room, as I had hoped. Soundstage is wide and deep.

Note these speakers are very transparent. If it’s a bad recording, you will know very quickly. If a good recording, it’s glorious. Note I am using an older (very nice) Sony CD player as a source.

If I have any complaint, it’s the imaging. Always seemed smeared to one side, regardless of the recording. But, I suspect this is not the speakers, but the setup, placement, and room. Again, some tweaking will likely fix this.

That’s it for now folks, more to come later as I get things dialed in. But wow, just wow. These are an absolute steal at the refurb price. I would even say worth full retail of $2k. To all the folks that recommended the 590s, thank you!
LOL made me look in my ports, yeah some stuff is out of place in yours. Curious what Harman says/does.

Reactions: MKR

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, so finally got the 590s fired up. My very subjective opinion … First, I am stunned by the sound coming out of these speakers. I simply did not expect this level of sonic performance from $760 speakers.

That is what it should look like.
—-
The only weakness is that it is top heavy, has a warning that it is too heavy but it has no mechanism for anchoring it.

If you like this sound and have $30k to spend, this is where the K2 S9900, JBL S4700, and JBL 4367 or M2 come into play.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor

That is what it should look like.
—-
The only weakness is that it is top heavy, has a warning that it is too heavy but it has no mechanism for anchoring it.

If you like this sound and have $30k to spend, this is where the K2 S9900, JBL S4700, and JBL 4367 or M2 come into play.
@GXAlan Yeah, a little top heavy, but not like the speaker will just tip over if you look at it cross eyed ;-) … but I do agree if I had little ones around would anchor them.

As to “that is what it should look like”, my speaker does not look like what is shown in the link. It should be adhered to inside of cabinet, just as it is in other speaker, but it either never got any adhesive, or not enough adhesive and fell away from the side wall.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@GXAlan Yeah, a little top heavy, but not like the speaker will just tip over if you look at it cross eyed ;-) … but I do agree if I had little ones around would anchor them.

When I bought mine new (not refurb) there was either a big piece of paper on the speaker or a manual that was warning the customer that it is too heavy (and to anchor it) but provided no mechanism for anchoring it. If they had a nice eyelet that didn’t destroy the cabinet it would have been great.

For me, the fact that they had bright bold warning (and I have little ones and live in an earthquake zone) had me sending it back.

I am pretty sure the 590’s would out measure the TAD speakers which were just measured.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
As to “that is what it should look like”, my speaker does not look like what is shown in the link. It should be adhered to inside of cabinet, just as it is in other speaker, but it either never got any adhesive, or not enough adhesive and fell away from the side wall.
OK, I am going to give you the "truth". I of course will be roasted by pretty much all of the usual people for this. That material that you see in the ports is in reality not an issue. You will not and can't hear the difference between what you hear now and what you would hear after gluing it to the speaker wall. The super easy way to fix it is to use it as is and don't worry about it. It is NOT important. If it drives you nuts then you an go through the hassle of returning it, fixing it on your own or whatever JBL says to do. But, just remember it will not affect your sound. I say enjoy them! I'm glad you were blown away with the sound. Shows what a decent pair of speakers can do. The sound stage being shifted to one side is your room/speaker placement interacting with the speakers. It would do it with any brand. Well, I think you will have many hours of enjoyment listening to them. Glad the wife didn't throw a fit. She might be a keeper!:)

Top Bottom