• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

Toku

Major Contributor
I've just joined this forum after reading this thread on the TPA amps
I've been on Ali express and I've found a couple interesting boards. One is using the TPA 3251 and claims to be rather high end components wise and one is based on infineons new is called the ma5332ms. It's the same one found in the newish smsl a300 and sabaj 2022 amps. I've attached photos as I'm curious if anyone on here has experience of either boards?
I'm also very interested in these two types of amplifier boards, but since they've just been released, I don't think there's much information out there.

The amplifier of MA5332MS is a product of SHENZHEN PILLOR ELECTRONIC, which supplies the amplifier board of MA12070/MA12070P, and the design of the board is similar.
I checked with the shop, but this amplifier needs a + and - dual power supply. SMSL A300 and others use +-34.5V.

The TPA3251 amplifier is very well made, but the price is too high. PFFB is not used. I'm worried about the strange soldering on the back of the board.

Mspw

Seems a new TPA3255 board on Aliexpress that, atleast by appearances looks to be following a design evolution from the Shui Yuan Audio TPA3255 board. Similar price point too.

Sold as Model DL-GTPA3255- by D-U-N-C-A-N 21 L-O-V-E PC HIFI Store (Aliexpress) as "DLHiFi Upgraded version TPA3255 2.0 DC19-40V 300W + 300W Class D Digital Strong High Power HiFi Amplifier Board" and by Made-in-China Store as "Nvarcher TPA3255 Digital 2.0 Channel 600W Audio Power Amplifier Board HIFI Stereo 300W*2 Class D Amplifier DC 48V" and LusyaTechnology Store as "LUSYA Upgraded version TPA3255 2.0 DC19-40V 300W X2 Class D Digital Strong High Power HiFi Amplifier Board" as model LSY-GTPA3255

TPA3255 is a high performance class D power amplifier chip, it has class D effect

rate and can bring true high-end sound quality circuit. The device features advanced integration
feedback design and proprietary high-speed gate driver error correction (PurePathTM Ultra
HD). This technology allows the device to maintain ultra-low distortion over the entire audio frequency band, while
Show sound quality. The device operates in AD mode up to 10% THD
Drives 2 315W/4R loads and 2 150W (unclipped power)/8R negatives
load, and features a 2 VRMS analog input interface, support and high-performance DAC
(such as TI's PCM5242) seamless connection. In addition to excellent audio performance, the T
The PA3255 also combines high power efficiency with ultra-low power stage idle losses (below 2.5
W) Two major advantages. This can be achieved by an 85mR MOSFET with an optimized gate drive
Actuator scheme to achieve. Compared with traditional discrete implementations, this scheme can significantly reduce
idle loss.
Power amplifier IC: TPA3255 chip
Input method: 3.5MM stereo wired socket interface (3P)
Work efficiency:>90% .
Output Power:
315W/4Q, 10% distortion, 185W/8Q, 10% distortion,
260W/4Q, 1% distortion, 150W/8Q, 1% distortion.
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20KHz
Dynamic range.:>100 dB
Signal to Noise Ratio: (SNR)> 111dB
Power supply: DC19 to DC48V [current recommended above 5A]
Overall size: 110X70X30
Net weight: 0.168KG

TPA3255 new.jpg

Attachments

• TPA3255 board.jpg
    TPA3255 board.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Jeza3975

So I e
I'm also very interested in these two types of amplifier boards, but since they've just been released, I don't think there's much information out there.

The amplifier of MA5332MS is a product of SHENZHEN PILLOR ELECTRONIC, which supplies the amplifier board of MA12070/MA12070P, and the design of the board is similar.
I checked with the shop, but this amplifier needs a + and - dual power supply. SMSL A300 and others use +-34.5V.

The TPA3251 amplifier is very well made, but the price is too high. PFFB is not used. I'm worried about the strange soldering on the back of the board.

So I've received the TPA3251 amp. Very well made and solder joints look to be of really good quality. I plan on running it at 28v with either a meanwell drp 240-24 or a Chinese LLC power supply I've got in. Ill have it up and running in a week or so. I'll come back with overall thoughts then. Also what's pffb?

gnat_leader

Where is the link to the price and pics of the back?

Roland68

Major Contributor

gnat_leader

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005004478548742.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2deu
Easy to find and really horrible solder joints.
With some I wonder if the solder is only hanging on the legs, or if there is really a good soldering with the conductor track :facepalm:.
ah, I saw this pic before but didn't understand what I was seeing as I'm not super experienced with soldering.
I did wonder what they were showing with those solder spheres. They apparently are proud of this work since they explicitly are showing that.
Regardless, I think it's over-priced.

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
ah, I saw this pic before but didn't understand what I was seeing as I'm not super experienced with soldering.
I did wonder what they were showing with those solder spheres. They apparently are proud of this work since they explicitly are showing that.
Regardless, I think it's over-priced.
Those solder joints are rubbish and the picture just shows that something went really wrong there.
10 times as much solder as necessary and you can't see if the soldering eyes are really sufficiently wetted and soldered through. With a fault like this, most could also be cold solder joints.

gnat_leader

Those solder joints are rubbish and the picture just shows that something went really wrong there.
10 times as much solder as necessary and you can't see if the soldering eyes are really sufficiently wetted and soldered through. With a fault like this, most could also be cold solder joints.
Why do you think they show this pic on the AliExpress page? Just whoever placed the ad is clueless?

startkapital

Roland68

Major Contributor
Why do you think they show this pic on the AliExpress page? Just whoever placed the ad is clueless?
I can't quite understand your question.
What does my opinion have to do with it?
The picture shows a circuit board with catastrophic solder joints, where everyone with a little knowledge in this area knows that everything went completely wrong in the production process and in all (quality) controls.
No manufacturer, distributor or dealer can have an interest in publishing such a picture of one of their products, quite the opposite. Do something like that at a "real" company and you won't have a job afterwards.

You may also not realize that Aliexpress is just a sales platform like all the others. Few of the retailers/shops have experience or knowledge of the products they sell there. The best answer I've gotten so far from a seller on Aliexpress to a technical question was "I'll have to ask the manufacturer about that", of course without an answer. Everything else was worse.
With 99% of the offers, you can also assume that you will not receive more information than you can see in the offer.

You can certainly form your own opinion, because that's all that counts.

gnat_leader

I can't quite understand your question.
What does my opinion have to do with it?
The picture shows a circuit board with catastrophic solder joints, where everyone with a little knowledge in this area knows

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just wondering (out of curiosity) if you had any idea why they would put a picture showing something "catastrophic" on their ad page.
The dip soldering info is cool btw for people like me who didn't know how this is done.

Toku

Major Contributor
It is the Chinese business style to easily do things that we cannot understand.
Anyway, it's good if you do something that stands out and get attention and sell. There is no technical reason for it.
On the other hand, the buyer needs the skill to judge it.

Jeza3975

I've had no issue with the solder joints on this board yet. I do think they are too big but they are shiny and look to be securing the components well. I'm no expert with soldering so if it's considered a bad way to do things then sure I'll accept that. Just that they look ok to me and I'm not hearing anything bad as a result of the solder.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have switched from ne5532 to lm4562 in Aiyima a04 tpa3251. The sound is a bit better with lm4562. Its a fantastic amplifier.

Right now there is people comparing Aiyima a04 tpa 3251 with a Rotel ra1592 and a Hypex nc400 amplifier. Its the ”new”version of Aiyima a04 with the green card .
The Aiyima a04 with opa2604 is sounding better than Rotel ra1592 , better bass and more clear sound, and theres no difference against Hypex nc400.
Read more here:
https://www.faktiskt.io/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70688&start=360
Agreed. I did the same with my A04 and barring the increased current noise that accompanies the LM4562NE over the NE5532 which if I am honest only know via theory and not practice, I noticed increased clarity, especially in the low end and a more detailed sound overall. A nice little affordable upgrade.

gnat_leader

I have switched from ne5532 to lm4562 in Aiyima a04 tpa3251. The sound is a bit better with lm4562. Its a fantastic amplifier.

Right now there is people comparing Aiyima a04 tpa 3251 with a Rotel ra1592 and a Hypex nc400 amplifier. Its the ”new”version of Aiyima a04 with the green card .
The Aiyima a04 with opa2604 is sounding better than Rotel ra1592 , better bass and more clear sound, and theres no difference against Hypex nc400.
Read more here:
https://www.faktiskt.io/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70688&start=360

Has anyone compared the 3e-Audio SY-DAP1002 (also TPA3251) to the Aiyima A04?
The 3e-Audio at least looks to me to be better built. But I'm no expert.
Btw, since I don't need the extra power with my 96db/1w speakers I'm waffling between deciding which one to get...
a TI TPA3251 based amp or an Infineon/Merus MA12070 based amp like the Aiyima A8.
I read various *opinions* that the MA12070 in general sounds "smoother" than at least the TPA3255 but dunno about the 3251.
I'm sorta an ex-tube guy so I like the "smooth" signature for lack of a better description. Wish I had saved those MA12070 opinion quotes.

Aiyima-A04-TPA3250.jpg

Last edited:

Jeza3975

So as promised I'm ready to give some feedback on this amp. I've been running it with a 30v AliExpress special LLC power supply. (See pictures). I have been comparing it to an aiyima a07(same psu) as well as my old class ab amp.

Compared to the a07 this amp sounds smoother. The width of soundstage as well as placement of instruments seem more spacious and better separated.
The bass is decent but the a07 edges ahead ever so slightly with better slam however I'd say this board has a better overall bass texture.

I tested dynamics with some classical music, both amps impressed me and were hard to distinguish from each other. The class ab surprisingly felt lacking.

When compared to my nva class ab amp I did notice a less warm signature but the more I listened the more it felt like my old amp was over colouring the sound and this board was just playing the music in a more neutral manner. Sure the class ab had sweeter sounding mids but the bass sounded rather tubby with a deep but closed in soundstage. The class D board however had less depth but a far wider presentation.

Overall I'm very happy with the performance of this amp. Sure it doesn't beat the bang for buck of the a07 but it is superior in all ways other than bass slam. I'm picking up more detail from the music and am still hearing things I haven't heard with both the a07 and nva class ab. I hope this overview helps those interested in this board. It's worth mentioning that finished versions from the same company are available for tpa3221, 51 and 55 chips but I can only attest to the sound of this specific board.

-149507810-543261949.jpg

Attachments

• -1457877577-696996428.jpg
    -1457877577-696996428.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 130

gnat_leader

So as promised I'm ready to give some feedback on this amp. I've been running it with a 30v AliExpress special LLC power supply. (See pictures). I have been comparing it to an aiyima a07(same psu) as well as my old class ab amp.

Compared to the a07 this amp sounds smoother. The width of soundstage as well as placement of instruments seem more spacious and better separated.
The bass is decent but the a07 edges ahead ever so slightly with better slam however I'd say this board has a better overall bass texture.

I tested dynamics with some classical music, both amps impressed me and were hard to distinguish from each other. The class ab surprisingly felt lacking.

When compared to my nva class ab amp I did notice a less warm signature but the more I listened the more it felt like my old amp was over colouring the sound and this board was just playing the music in a more neutral manner. Sure the class ab had sweeter sounding mids but the bass sounded rather tubby with a deep but closed in soundstage. The class D board however had less depth but a far wider presentation.

Overall I'm very happy with the performance of this amp. Sure it doesn't beat the bang for buck of the a07 but it is superior in all ways other than bass slam. I'm picking up more detail from the music and am still hearing things I haven't heard with both the a07 and nva class ab. I hope this overview helps those interested in this board. It's worth mentioning that finished versions from the same company are available for tpa3221, 51 and 55 chips but I can only attest to the sound of this specific board.

View attachment 241833

Great, thanks for the detailed and balanced subjective opinion. What source(s) and speaker(s) did you use with it?
Now if you get bored compare it to one of the cheap Merus MA12070 amps? ;)
say the Aiyima A8 or Sabaj A1 (2022 version).

Last edited:
Top Bottom