• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 96 31.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 114 37.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 31 10.2%

• Total voters

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I am waiting for the RZ70 or RZ90.
I do not want to get an amp that could be in protection mode (5W) without any warning about that.
I already have a Yamaha RX-A700 that is far less powerful than my old RX-V1200.
For $×××× I do want a powerful amplification.
If they use the same chassis as the previous generations (and for power, why wouldn't they) - then it is not massively more powerful than the midrange RZ50.

There hasn't been an equivalent of the high powered Tx-NR906/876 (and their brethren) in quite a few years (6? 7?)

If you really need high power, or loads of current - an external amp is a better solution!

I had an 876, it ran my speakers OK - but external amps got a touch more out of the speakers. With the current NR7100 / DTR 3.4 it simply doesn't cope with my speakers (soundstage collapse, congested sound).

I am hoping that the 70/90 series will be able to handle my speakers well, allowing me to simplify my setup... but I am also not relying on it.

Keened

Forum Donor
There hasn't been an equivalent of the high powered Tx-NR906/876 (and their brethren) in quite a few years (6? 7?)

If you really need high power, or loads of current - an external amp is a better solution!

Well they did mention a new amplifier type in their last teaser. Take a the wind out of the competition: release a processor and multichannel amp as seperates but beat them to the punch by not having absurd prices for the prepro and using class-D chip amps.

Balanced only outputs and justify it by doing true balanced amplification maybe? BoM is still under multichannel A/B (I think...?) and you can probably do a bunch of tricks to pull out big numbers for marketing while giving healthy headroom to cut for bin/channel matching. It won't be better than balenced -> se -> balenced when done right but it will give them a big wedge to break open the 'audiophile' market which is begrudgingly giving in to the centrality of multi-channel capability. 'balence' their hatred of class-d against their love of overly complex sounding systems.

Unfortunately all of these decisions were made 16 months ago I'm sure.

:confused:

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 2015 Onkyo TX-RZ800 and TX-RZ900 were class A/B with AKM DAC.
Let us hope that one of the new AVR will take the same technical choices.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
The 2015 Onkyo TX-RZ800 and TX-RZ900 were class A/B with AKM DAC.
Let us hope that one of the new AVR will take the same technical choices.
The subsequent RZ3100 & RZ3400 were Class D - adopting the chassis from Pioneer I believe, after purchasing the brand.

The Flagship models abandoned AB after Pioneer joined the stable...

chashint

This is one of the most civil audio forums I have looked at, good job to all participants.

My use case is a ROKU Ultra, PS5, Series X, BD player going through the AVR to the TV and I also listen to music once in a while that resides on a PC through the local network.
My speakers are Klipsch RF-83s, RC-62, RS-42s and an Outlaw LFM-EX subwoofer, so the speakers are not especially difficult to drive.
The spousal unit with her delicate hearing might dispute this, but I do not listen at ear bleeding levels anymore.
The AVR I am currently using is a Denon X-2200W that I got second hand about a year ago after a Pioneer VSX-23TXH failed.
The 2200W is fine, but I will be getting a new TV soon and I want a new AVR to take advantage of the PS5 and Series X capabilities.
HDMI functionality and stability for console support is a high priority for me and gapless music playback through the network is important too.
After keyword searches and browsing this thread, I did not find any major issues being complained about on the TX-RZ50.
With that taken into consideration I find it very interesting that only 25% of survey respondents rate this AVR as a happy or golfing panther.
75% of the responders are negative towards this AVR.
Is it just the measurements not being 'best in class' that is off-putting, or have I missed something important that affects functionality?
The AVRs I have been looking at are TX-RZ50, VSX LX-505 which are pretty much twins and now that the X-3800H has landed it is under consideration too.

If anyone else has a similar use case to mine do you recommend this AVR or do you recommend something different?
Thanks.

artep

I had a Pioneer SC-27 but one of the amps failed. Like you I was considering very same units and in the end I went with TX-RZ50. I eliminated the Pioneer VSX LX-505 because same as my old SC-27 it does not have the ability to select individual crossovers for each speaker, something I truly missed. The Denon X-3800H based on my research apparently still has some issues with firmware updates but most importantly does not have as of now Dirac Live. Denon announced that It will be coming later by firmware update but it will be available for a fee. So far I am very happy with the TX-RZ50 in every aspect and Dirac makes a big difference in my listening environment. I did run few calibrations with Dirac using my laptop not the phone app and every time I am getting better results. Note that calibration with Dirac is quite detailed and I would not recommend it without doing some homework. You really have to plan the whole process including elimination of all external noises (fridge, heater fan etc.). So far all of my AVR connected devices work without any issues and I am very happy with my choice. But at the same time I think that the other mentioned AVR's are still very good choices for consideration and a lot depends on individual needs or ability to properly configure the equipment. Hope this helps and good luck :)

Keened

Forum Donor
Is it just the measurements not being 'best in class' that is off-putting, or have I missed something important that affects functionality?
There are only really a few issues but from an audio standpoint they can be dealbreakers:

Not great internal amps. They are good enough for most purposes but there is definitely room for improvement and if you're after the best audio quality you'll want to use external amps.

Mono subwoofer output. There are two ports but that's just a single internal port with a built in splitter. If you want to use multiple subwoofers you'll have to use an intermediary device like a 2x4HD or Flex, etc to manage the subwoofers.

Protection mode. But as you've seen, that's not really a problem unless you're trying to use the internal amps super hard for very long. If you need that kind of sustained power you'll need an external amplifier.

Other than that, it's a fine showing for 99% of people. Most of the people here are now waiting for the RZ70/90 or pre-pro to see if they include independent subwoofer outs.

chashint

I had a Pioneer SC-27 but one of the amps failed. Like you I was considering very same units and in the end I went with TX-RZ50. I eliminated the Pioneer VSX LX-505 because same as my old SC-27 it does not have the ability to select individual crossovers for each speaker, something I truly missed. ... snip ... Hope this helps and good luck :)
Thanks for the reply. I have been evaluating all that you mentioned for a couple of months.
I saw the TX-RZ50 was in stock this morning, so I thought now was a good time to hit the forum up again.
Good to know you do not have issues to report.

chashint

There are only really a few issues but from an audio standpoint they can be dealbreakers:
... snip ...
Other than that, it's a fine showing for 99% of people. Most of the people here are now waiting for the RZ70/90 or pre-pro to see if they include independent subwoofer outs.
Thank you for the reply.
I was well satisfied with the old Pioneer, and the Denon I have now is ok.
To be fair to the Denon, I have never put much effort into it since it has always been a stop gap for me.
Now that the HDMI 2.1 issues seem to be worked out on the AVRs I am ready to move on.
Over the years I have toyed with getting amps from time to time, but it is just because I think they are cool and like to play with the gear.
I am 100% sure I fall into the 99% category.

DrStranger

This is one of the most civil audio forums I have looked at, good job to all participants.

My use case is a ROKU Ultra, PS5, Series X, BD player going through the AVR to the TV and I also listen to music once in a while that resides on a PC through the local network.
My speakers are Klipsch RF-83s, RC-62, RS-42s and an Outlaw LFM-EX subwoofer, so the speakers are not especially difficult to drive.
The spousal unit with her delicate hearing might dispute this, but I do not listen at ear bleeding levels anymore.
The AVR I am currently using is a Denon X-2200W that I got second hand about a year ago after a Pioneer VSX-23TXH failed.
The 2200W is fine, but I will be getting a new TV soon and I want a new AVR to take advantage of the PS5 and Series X capabilities.
HDMI functionality and stability for console support is a high priority for me and gapless music playback through the network is important too.
After keyword searches and browsing this thread, I did not find any major issues being complained about on the TX-RZ50.
With that taken into consideration I find it very interesting that only 25% of survey respondents rate this AVR as a happy or golfing panther.
75% of the responders are negative towards this AVR.
The AVRs I have been looking at are TX-RZ50, VSX LX-505 which are pretty much twins and now that the X-3800H has landed it is under consideration too.

If anyone else has a similar use case to mine do you recommend this AVR or do you recommend something different?
Thanks.
Have you checked out the Onkyo NR7100?

buz

Forum Donor
The Pioneer lx505 is on sale for 900 in Switzerland right now. Supposedly it is a twin to the rz50 so now I am wondering if it would be able to drive 4 kef R3 plus an R2c?

delta76

Major Contributor
Could anyone confirm if Amir's "hopefully a microcode bug that can be fixed with firmware update" was indeed a bug and was fixed ?

DrStranger

The Pioneer lx505 is on sale for 900 in Switzerland right now. Supposedly it is a twin to the rz50 so now I am wondering if it would be able to drive 4 kef R3 plus an
please share the website

edit: nvm found it, just local shipping... :(

amper42

Major Contributor
I had a Pioneer SC-27 but one of the amps failed. Like you I was considering very same units and in the end I went with TX-RZ50. I eliminated the Pioneer VSX LX-505 because same as my old SC-27 it does not have the ability to select individual crossovers for each speaker, something I truly missed. The Denon X-3800H based on my research apparently still has some issues with firmware updates but most importantly does not have as of now Dirac Live. Denon announced that It will be coming later by firmware update but it will be available for a fee. So far I am very happy with the TX-RZ50 in every aspect and Dirac makes a big difference in my listening environment. I did run few calibrations with Dirac using my laptop not the phone app and every time I am getting better results. Note that calibration with Dirac is quite detailed and I would not recommend it without doing some homework. You really have to plan the whole process including elimination of all external noises (fridge, heater fan etc.). So far all of my AVR connected devices work without any issues and I am very happy with my choice. But at the same time I think that the other mentioned AVR's are still very good choices for consideration and a lot depends on individual needs or ability to properly configure the equipment. Hope this helps and good luck :)

The fact that Dirac is included with the TX-RZ50, while it costs $259 to $349 extra with the Denon 3800 (and not even available yet) makes the Onkyo an interesting option for those who want Dirac now at a decent price. Denon downgrading the 3800 DAC after the AKM fire and charging hundreds extra for Dirac gives Onkyo a nice value equation. I see several Denon owners evaluating other brands. Denon's miscalculation is Onkyo's gift. It's refreshing to see a product come out with all features intact rather than being asked to wait for promised feature releases months in the future.

chashint

The fact that Dirac is included with the TX-RZ50, while it costs $259 to $349 extra with the Denon 3800 (and not even available yet) makes the Onkyo an interesting option for those who want Dirac now at a decent price. Denon downgrading the 3800 DAC after the AKM fire and charging hundreds extra for Dirac gives Onkyo a nice value equation. I see several Denon owners evaluating other brands. Denon's miscalculation is Onkyo's gift. It's refreshing to see a product come out with all features intact rather than being asked to wait for promised feature releases months in the future.
I agree.
Never buy anything counting on software/firmware updates to fix it or make it whole.

buz

Forum Donor
Installed the LX505 today. I like it. Except for two issues:
1) Ground loop with the SB1000... Since it happens even without any devices connected to the AVR (anyway only TV and LAN attached to it otherwise) and they are both on the same circuit, I probably need a transformer.
2) ARC does not work even though I can control the AVR via LG TV remote (which is confusing me).... First order of business, I'll upgrade the HDMI cable to be sure it's HDMI 2.1 compliant, current one is likely 1.4 (if even).

Last edited:

SDMatt

I have had it 6+ months now and I am really enjoying my Onkyo TX-RZ50. No third party adapter needed to enjoy 4K/120 content. No need to wait and pay extra for a DIRAC upgrade. Everything works exactly as advertised. I rip all my music on to an SSD in a lossless uncompressed format and plug the SSD into my Onkyo TX-RZ50’s usb input on the back. Instant music server! Every song from every album I own all accessible at the touch of the remote. Music sounds great. Movies sound great. DIRAC is easy to setup. Totally satisfied with my purchase.

Top Bottom