• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Power Conditioner Review

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 209 93.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I bought the EVO3 Aquarius - but only after I had blindtested the device for about an hour. "Don't do anything for your audio system", you say....?! How do you explain the vast, very significant audible improvement it makes to an audio system? The perceived differences are not at all subtle - in fact it's like night and day! I've even tried recording the music that I played on my system with and without the EVO3 Aquarius and then afterwards replayed the recording on my computer through a pair of cheap speakers. Even then my brother could hear the difference namely in the bass and dynamics. And i hadn't told him in advance which part of the recording was or was not featuring the Aquarius in my audio system. Given your measurements are valid and trustworthy, how come this device affects music so pleasantly? If it doesn't clean up the mains power, then how come the Aquarius really alters music for the better, the way it does? Are power conditioning devices such as the EVO3 Aquarius simply just adding their own layer to the music? Are the just colouring the music?

Please describe your double blind testing method. I am curious.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even then my brother could hear the difference namely in the bass and dynamics. And i hadn't told him in advance which part of the recording was or was not featuring the Aquarius in my audio system.

Please share those recordings and leave them unlabeled as A or B.

It would also help to explain your signal chain. Where do you live, what electronics gear do you use, etc. Even though this is a global site, many people will assume that you are writing from the US.

It is possible that power in different parts of the world are affected by different electrical issues.

AndreaT

Forum Donor
I bought the EVO3 Aquarius - but only after I had blindtested the device for about an hour. "Don't do anything for your audio system", you say....?! How do you explain the vast, very significant audible improvement it makes to an audio system? The perceived differences are not at all subtle - in fact it's like night and day! I've even tried recording the music that I played on my system with and without the EVO3 Aquarius and then afterwards replayed the recording on my computer through a pair of cheap speakers. Even then my brother could hear the difference namely in the bass and dynamics. And i hadn't told him in advance which part of the recording was or was not featuring the Aquarius in my audio system. Given your measurements are valid and trustworthy, how come this device affects music so pleasantly? If it doesn't clean up the mains power, then how come the Aquarius really alters music for the better, the way it does? Are power conditioning devices such as the EVO3 Aquarius simply just adding their own layer to the music? Are the just colouring the music?
If you are happy about the perceived improvement, and if it is worth to you $ 1,999 + tax, there is not much else to say except buy it and enjoy. However, I am more persuaded by the measurements of ASR than by the description of your improved pleasure of listening. Furthermore, I do not believe that the sum of the parts that makes the IsoTek is worth more than, say, $ 30-40. The markup is considerable, and to make a comparison, a new Toyota Camry with a similar markup would sell for more than a new Rolls-Royce Phantom with custom interior and cashmere floor mats.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You are imagining things. It's that simple. What you think you are hearing is not real and I don't believe that you did a extensive blind test. Do it again!

MacCali

Major Contributor
I think you should watch some of the videos Amir has posted on YouTube.

The interesting one which definitely bunks the debate of any of these power cleaning/conditioning/filtering devices is all bs.

He has a device which outputs AC power and can change that power from super clean to extremely dirty. More dirty than the worst power grid on the planet.

When feeding a dac with this extremely dirty power the measurements remain the same.

In addition Amir gains absolutely nothing by saying don’t buy this product. So there’s absolutely no motivation for him to tell you not to buy something.

TrevC

The placebo effect is pretty well documented and neatly explains your experience. There is no other explanation.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
The placebo effect is pretty well documented and neatly explains your experience. There is no other explanation.
There are actually a lot of other explanations. It's just that the placebo effect is one that has a mountain of data across many disciplines to back it up. The others... are more accusatory and even less supported. My explanation is a Grateful Dead show in the '70's when, after ingestion of $10 worth of some terrible tasting fungi... the veils were permanently lifted. After MANY follow up personal tests, I can attest to the fact that it was no placebo effect. It was just the realization that... "Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places, if you look at it right".

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
How did you do the the blind test? Was it at the dealer?

TrevC

There are actually a lot of other explanations. It's just that the placebo effect is one that has a mountain of data across many disciplines to back it up. The others... are more accusatory and even less supported. My explanation is a Grateful Dead show in the '70's when, after ingestion of $10 worth of some terrible tasting fungi... the veils were permanently lifted. After MANY follow up personal tests, I can attest to the fact that it was no placebo effect. It was just the realization that... "Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places, if you look at it right".
I would describe that as enhanced placebo!

stevedarbin

Wow, this placebo effect is fantastic. I bought a second hand IsoTec EVO and it's clear how much this has improved my system. Bass is cleaner and more extended, soundstage is wider and quiet parts of the recording are just that, very, very quiet. I don't know how it works and I don't care. If it had not worked I woud have sold it but it does. Are there any more placebo effect item out there for such a good price with such an imediate inprovement to my system.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Are there any more placebo effect item out there for such a good price with such an imediate inprovement to my system.
Yeah, low distortion/noise (knowing it's transparent) and EQ to taste (knowing the sound is just right).
I don't know how it works and I don't care
Maybe not the best approach at a forum with the word science in the title... up to you which direction you wish to take after your first post, however this whole site is a fantastic knowledge base. ;)

JSmith

DonR

Major Contributor
Wow, this placebo effect is fantastic. I bought a second hand IsoTec EVO and it's clear how much this has improved my system. Bass is cleaner and more extended, soundstage is wider and quiet parts of the recording are just that, very, very quiet. I don't know how it works and I don't care. If it had not worked I woud have sold it but it does. Are there any more placebo effect item out there for such a good price with such an imediate inprovement to my system.
Of course, now that it has burned in for many hours and had it's chakras aligned with the 7 moons of the mystical planet it will just sound better and better. Enjoy!

stevedarbin

Yeah, low distortion/noise (knowing it's transparent) and EQ to taste (knowing the sound is just right).

Maybe not the best approach at a forum with the word science in the title... up to you which direction you wish to take after your first post, however this whole site is a fantastic knowledge base. ;)

JSmith
With the proliferation of good quality second hand Hi Fi and the fact that listening to music is subjective’ they are your ears after all. I would have thought that selecting a Hi Fi item, listening to it and deciding whether you like it or not, was a straightforward proposition.

It seems however’ that deciding you do not like something and it does not work for you is the end of the subject and everyone who disagrees is somehow “anti science” and just plain wrong.

Music as is Hi Fi, is for everyone, how it sounds to you, how you spend your money is a choice.

stevedarbin

Of course, now that it has burned in for many hours and had it's chakras aligned with the 7 moons of the mystical planet it will just sound better and better. Enjoy!
I like this, well done, I will check my chakras. Is there a graph ?

JSmith

Master Contributor
I would have thought that selecting a Hi Fi item, listening to it and deciding whether you like it or not, was a straightforward proposition.
Yeah, nah... simply due to the way our brains work with perception and bias etc.
does not work for you
An electrical device doesn't work for you, or not... it just functions like it's supposed to when powered up, no mind melds going on. Have you tried having another person swap the device in and out at random, not looking and comparing for an audible change? If not, how did you ascertain the change, noting our auditory memory for small changes is quite short?

My suggestion would be to hang around and learn some, challenge yourself... what have you got to lose? Are you up for it?

JSmith

MacCali

Major Contributor
You got a deal of a lifetime, why can’t we get deals like this. What’s your secret

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Wow, this placebo effect is fantastic.

while I must agree that if it works it works, placebo or not.....it will be only temporary. soon you wont be satisfied anymore and go after other products that "improof sound".
If you choose the sicentific path though....you will learn how to really achieve what you are after, mostly probably achievable via DSP (no cost at all)

Top Bottom